“You'll be pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Highlander Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arlington
Highlander Motel
You added Highlander Motel to your Saves list
3336 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22201   |
Special Rate
$81 (USD)
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Highland Heights, Kentucky
“You'll be pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Clean, comfortable, conveniently located, quiet, reasonably priced (for D.C. area), free parking. It is an older motor inn that has been remodeled. Nice comfortable beds, really nice bathroom. My family turned up noses when we pulled in, but they were won over during the stay. Easy walk to the metro at Virginia Square (3 blocks) or Ballston (with mall area and restaurants about 6 blocks). Both are short rides into the D.C. monuments on the orange line. Short drive (or metro) to Arlington Cemetery and Iwo Jima monument. Breakfast was bagels, donuts, yogurt, fresh fruit!, croissants, coffee and OJ. This is not the Hilton or Hyatt, but it is also half the price. I couldn't be happier; we'll be staying here on our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Ballston Common mall is located close to the Ballston metro station, a short walk up Wilson Blvd. Th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

My son and I were on a field trip to DC. Out of habit I was looking for a Residence Inn or similar. All of those options were booked and so after some very diligent research my wife found this gem. The price was right and it was within an easy walk (3 blocks) of a Metro (Virginia Square/GMU).

I usually struggle a lot with hotel beds but these were great and I slept better than I usually do when I travel. The room was clean and it was really nice to go into a place where there was not a price tag on everything. As others have noted there is a nice sized refrigerator in the room and a 7-11 within a block so we could get milk, water etc and keep it cold.

The staff was very friendly. On our last day I asked if they could keep our one suitcase while we were at the museums and they were very helpful.

They do have breads (bagels etc) and fruit for breakfast but we took advantage of a Starbucks right next to the Metro.

It can be noisy at night but it is a city.

If you are flying in and out of Dulles - take bus 5A and get off at the Roslyn stop which is just outside the Roslyn Metro station and take the Orange line to Virginia Square/GMU. Very inexpensive (6.00/person for the bus ride and just a couple of bucks for the Metro).

There are a number of nice restaurants in the area. I would be careful of the Mario's Pizza place next door - it was inexpensive and that was reflected in the quality of the pizza. One really nice place for families is a BBQ place called Rocklands about 6 blocks away from the hotel - it was a nice walk.

Between the hotel and the Metro is a community art building that had some interesting sculptures outside.

If you are not careful and look at the hotel on Google Maps it might look like an uncomfortable area for a family. That is not the case at all. The hotel has houses behind it and some very expensive townhomes/condos around it.

Oh yeah we packed light - the hotel does not have a guest laundry but there is a full service cleaners right next door that is open 7-7 and they will do your laundry at a pretty reasonable price.

I have a bad feeling that with all of the significant development in the area this place will disappear in the next five years which would be too bad.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Charlottesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Appearance is nothing to rave about, but rooms are actually fairly well-appointed.
Bath is modern. TV and internet work well. Desk clerk was helpful. Room was pretty quiet.
Seemed pricey to me at $125 with taxes, but for the Ballston area it's at the low end.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Excellent location and brilliant service! This is not my first visit to Washington and I must say that I have stayed in quite a number of hotels which did not meet my expectation! I have finally found a "home" in Arlington!!! I loved the spacious and spotless rooms... But most importantly the great customer service! The metro station at Virginia squire was the icing on the cake. I loved everything ...and will definitely come back again and again and again! For keeps

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Avon, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Clean warm modestly updated room with a better bed than more expensive places I've stayed. Friendly helpful staff that aided me with my touring plans, and the location was great with many places to eat within a few blocks. Easy Metro ride from the airport and to all of the sights. 5 nights under $500 with taxes. I would stay again for sure!

Room Tip: First floor would be best if available. No elevator with outside walk up.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is something like our 10th stay at this lovely, affordable gem and I am honestly one of the pickiest travelers around. The Highlander is a GREAT find. Every time we've stayed here we've enjoyed a spotless room and wonderful, no-nonsense service. The beds are comfortable and rooms have been updated. Modest? Sure. But the value can't be beat. There's a metro station and terrific deli across the street, a convenience store next door (you can stock up your in-room mini-frig with bottled water and beer), parking and wi-fi are also FREE--all this allows us to enjoy the sparkly restaurants and other DC offerings without breaking our travel budget. One tip: Bring your own soap and (I do this for any city hotel stays) a white noise machine.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room in the back. These are quieter and a bit nicer than the ones facing the mai...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Recently stayed here for 3 nights. Stayed at other $200+ hotels in the area during my previous DC trips so not surprised to see this hotel got 4-star rating. Location is good, Giant Food is about a few blocks away next to a good Chinese Restaurant. Metro (Virginia Square) is a short distance walk. Price is nice compared with other hotels in the area. Wifi connection is ok. I am not expecting much because of the previous reviews of this motel - I am on the 3rd floor. Room is simple, bed is clean, bathroom is clean. No alarm clock (used my iphone), no coffee maker (got bottled water and fruits and snacks from Giant). I have good sleeps. Didn't try the breakfast though. I will stay here again in future trips when budget is a problem.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Highlander Motel? Share your experiences!