“Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Phoenix, Arizona
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

While visiting NSF, I've stayed at most of the local hotels from Hilton to Westin to Holiday Inn to Comfort Inn. Highlander is basic, but provides clean and comfortable accommodations at very reasonable rates -- less than half that of much of the competition. Bed was fine; shower large and efficient; wifi free and with no problems. I shall stay here again on the next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back (which seems to be most rooms), away from Wilson Boulevard, are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My room was infested with bed bugs. I received several dozen bits while staying there. Besides the pain and itchiness of the bites - I had to deal with making sure I was not bringing them home on my clothes and suitcase. Avoid the Highlander like the plague.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
highlandermotel, Manager at Highlander Motel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
We recently had a review about bed bugs ,
We immediately call the exterminator for any complaint.and spray the rooms.
Our regular Guest know this is not the norm.
We keep mattress and box spring covers on all the beds.
We provide luggage racks to keep the luggage off the floor.
We want our guest to be comfortable and return.
Deptford, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed for a long Veterans Day weekend recently. Friday - Sunday night for 79.95 + tax per night. What a bargain! Modest but functional room. The bathroom was tiny, with pink tiles. It reminded me of my grandmothers bathroom in the 1960's. It was sparkling clean however. I understand that some bathrooms have been redone, with granite, but we requested a smoking room, so I think perhaps they aren't redoing the smoking rooms. It was so nice to be able to smoke a ciggie without going outside. Fantastic location,with 2 metro stops nearby. A quick 3 block walk leads to scores of restaurants,bars, diners, etc. Hop on the metro for a 15 minute or less ride into D.C.,or a 10 minute ride to Arlington Cemetery. This is a basic,old fashioned motel.These rooms are made for sleeping in, not hanging out in. The fridge was a plus, the cable ok, and the wifi, although somewhat sluggish/slow, was consistently up. The staff are so nice and down to earth. I forgot to put my laptop away the second day we were there, and I was worried that it would be gone when we got back. I worried needlessly, I left it out for the entire 3 1/2 days there. In the morning they have coffee,bagels and pastries in the lobby.There's a 7-11 literally 3 doors away.. Basic, functional, and in a great neighborhood. I can't say enough about The Highlander. Just go with the proper expectations, and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Veksoe, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Finding reasonably priced accommodation close to a Metro station is not easy in Washington, but the Highlander is a good choice. The motel is situated between Clarendon and Virginia Square stations on the Orange line and you can get to the National Mall in just 15 minutes. There are plenty of restaurants to be found within walking distance and a 7/11 just around the corner. The rooms are nice and clean, ours with what looked like a new bathroom. We had planned to stay three nights but Hurricane Sandy and a canceled flight prolonged our stay by another couple of days.

Next time we are in Washington we will be staying at Highlander Motel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was our second trip/stay at the Highlander, and so far the best stay. We were in a recently renovated room. It was awesome. room is spacious, the new bathroom was fantastic! This place is close to the metro, mall, and the Marine Corp Memorial. Very close to the D.C. area. We love to stay here because it's close to everything and the price is reasonable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. and a special thank you to Sandy. Hope to see you all in the Spring.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My family used the Highlander for a reunion and visit to the National Cemetery. We occupied five rooms, all close to one another on the inner courtyard. The rooms were spacious, quiet, and the bathrooms were sparkling clean. The price was a bargain and the staff were very helpful in everything. The beds were very soft. Relatively few amentiies and no hand towels though. I am used to shampoo provided by the hotels I visit, but none here. The light breakfast was kept stocked until all the food was taken, well past the posted cut-off time. We did appreciate that extra time to get donuts, fruit, yogurt, and bagels.

Room Tip: Interior rooms away from Wilson Blvd will not hear the road noise. Bring your own shampoo.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Carbondale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here for three days while reviewing proposals for the National Science Foundation. The hotel is in a wonderful location, near the metro, several restaurants (El Pollo Rico is excellent), grocery store (Giant), etc. I was in room 48 on the back and didn't have any problems with noise or anything else. The price ended up at ~$100 a night after taxes, which is extremely low for this area. Overall a very pleasant experience and when I return I plan on staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business