“Better than most economy motels” 4 of 5 stars

Inn of Rosslyn
1601 Arlington Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22209   |
Ranked #38 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Better than most economy motels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I'm a frugal person, therefore I tend to search out the best room deals when I travel. My only requirements are that 1) it has to be clean, 2) it has to be safe, 3) the beds must be firm and fresh, and 4) it should have the basic necessities - coffee, hair dryer, fridge, microwave, internet. The Inn of Rosslyn met these basic needs in a very comfortable way. Granted it is an old building, complete with pink tile in the bathroom, but my room was spotlessly clean. The pillow-top mattresses seemed fairly new and felt wonderful after dancing all night. An unexpected bonus was the large wall-mounted extra mirror that allowed me to see the hair at the back of my head, and reversed to a magnifying mirror to make applying makeup easier. I'd never before seen that in a motel. I would definitely recommend this little mom-and-pop motel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were skeptical at first when we saw the exterior of the Inn. However, we were persuaded to check into the Inn because of the excellent reviews and the price. We actually moved from a motel next door where we paid much more per night where we couldn't even take a shower without experiencing vacillation between icy cold and scalding hot water, and no breakfast included. The Inn may not have all the fancy upgrades, but it is very clean and the staff is super friendly. For the price we were satisfied to settle for regular size beds rather than queen size as we are a family of three. The room was always exceptionally clean and tidy whenever we returned from a long day of sight-seeing, and the housekeeper, Flor, left us extra towels and toilet tissue. We would definitely stay at the Inn again.

Room Tip: We were street side and were not bothered by street noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

After an exhaustive search for an affordable room close to the center of DC and near the metro, I came across the Inn of Rosslyn and was intrigued. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and while some of the reviews might have scared away persons with a weaker stomach, we took the risk. It's an older establishment (1950's judging by the original tile in the bathroom) and not well-maintained, but it was clean, comfortable, extremely affordable and a 10 minute stroll to the metro. The staff were friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast was coffee, juice, donuts and bagels. All in all, it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it worked well for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Moble AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel was recommended by a family member, so I was aware that is was small and older. However, we thoroughly enjoyed our 3 day stay and will definitely return. The room was much nicer than we expected and was spotlessly clean. We had plenty of room (2 of us), and it was quiet. We walked to the Rosslyn Metro center each day - be sure to exit on the same side that you entered when returning! The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We did not have wifi in our room (which was not a big deal to us), but we could have gone to the lobby to get online. It is located on Fairfax Drive, even thought the address is Arlington Blvd. Free parking, too! There is no elevator.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

So, I know the hotel is older and not been updated recently...like in the last 2 decades.... But I really wasn't expecting it to look as shabby as it did. It really looks more shabby than what it is. It's functional, worn out in some places but great bed (I stayed in room 3), working fridge and coffee maker. The only real two complaints I had were the Internet wifi and the breakfast. Other than that, you get what you pay for, and for a room right on the hwy, 10 minutes and $10 cab ride from everything, it was an awesome deal. Even the usual moderately priced hotel chains were twice this price. Complaint 1) the Internet cant be found more often than it is available. One corner of my room had wifi signal and, every few minutes, it would disappear and reappear. For being on a business trip, Internet was more important than food, ya know. Complaint 2) while the quality of the breakfast itself was moderately good, they serve it in an old emptied hotel room. The lighting reminds me of a brutal interrogation room at Guantanamo Bay, the room feels like a moist breeding ground for as yet unidentified creatures and the conference table swallowing up the whole room with office chairs pulled up to it was a repellent rather than an inviting place to sit. This is the most important overhaul the hotel should focus on....they're messing with people's food and there's no better way to turn them off and make them vomit than this. Side note: if you walk up that hill behind it, just two blocks, you will find a beautiful park, Starbucks, CVS, Safeway, along with several very nice, new, inexpensive restaurants. I made a grocery supply trip for 3 days of meals and I'm glad I did. Theres no microwave in the room and they won't let you borrow theirs so keep that in mind if you plan on cooking anything, especially since there's no food vending on the premises. The walking trip is pleasant and safe and was a good stretch for my legs after 7 hours of flying from Dallas. Side note: to the lady who refused to acknowledge me for 10 min after I arrived because your personal phone conversation was more important than customers, this gave me time to determine that your mustache should be entered into a national facial hair contest, as it's quite impressive. I left a tip for the maid, but lady...you don't get anything from me. Overall, the room was clean, no bugs or critters and everything fit my needs.

Room Tip: Room 1 is breakfast room. Room 3 is right next to front office and very convenient. I'd recomm...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here in February when I tacked a night onto a business trip to meet with friends visiting family member at ANC. Yes, the hotel has an older design and I will admit we were nervous checking in, but everything was clean, if outdated. If you want a brand new carpet and plasma TV you are going to pay for it. If you want comfort and a good deal in an expensive area, this is your place.

I understand some people associating 'not new' with 'dirty' but this place was not dirty. We had a corner room on the first floor and had a fantastic nights sleep, much better in fact than the night before at a much higher priced name brand a few miles away.

This hotel provides exactly what I need when traveling - a comfy bed, internet, TV and breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great Value and so close to DC ! Convenient location close to the Metro and they even have shuttle service. A very friendly and helpful staff and good breakfast complete the lovely stay. The hotel is very reasonable amidst a rather expensive area.

Room Tip: Sorry I'm not sure if there is a pool, but I could not correct the entry above
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Inn of Rosslyn? Share your experiences!