“Not terrible, not great--- right for some travelers” 2 of 5 stars

Inn of Rosslyn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1601 Arlington Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22209   |
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Arlington TX
“Not terrible, not great--- right for some travelers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

So, I know the hotel is older and not been updated recently...like in the last 2 decades.... But I really wasn't expecting it to look as shabby as it did. It really looks more shabby than what it is. It's functional, worn out in some places but great bed (I stayed in room 3), working fridge and coffee maker. The only real two complaints I had were the Internet wifi and the breakfast. Other than that, you get what you pay for, and for a room right on the hwy, 10 minutes and $10 cab ride from everything, it was an awesome deal. Even the usual moderately priced hotel chains were twice this price. Complaint 1) the Internet cant be found more often than it is available. One corner of my room had wifi signal and, every few minutes, it would disappear and reappear. For being on a business trip, Internet was more important than food, ya know. Complaint 2) while the quality of the breakfast itself was moderately good, they serve it in an old emptied hotel room. The lighting reminds me of a brutal interrogation room at Guantanamo Bay, the room feels like a moist breeding ground for as yet unidentified creatures and the conference table swallowing up the whole room with office chairs pulled up to it was a repellent rather than an inviting place to sit. This is the most important overhaul the hotel should focus on....they're messing with people's food and there's no better way to turn them off and make them vomit than this. Side note: if you walk up that hill behind it, just two blocks, you will find a beautiful park, Starbucks, CVS, Safeway, along with several very nice, new, inexpensive restaurants. I made a grocery supply trip for 3 days of meals and I'm glad I did. Theres no microwave in the room and they won't let you borrow theirs so keep that in mind if you plan on cooking anything, especially since there's no food vending on the premises. The walking trip is pleasant and safe and was a good stretch for my legs after 7 hours of flying from Dallas. Side note: to the lady who refused to acknowledge me for 10 min after I arrived because your personal phone conversation was more important than customers, this gave me time to determine that your mustache should be entered into a national facial hair contest, as it's quite impressive. I left a tip for the maid, but lady...you don't get anything from me. Overall, the room was clean, no bugs or critters and everything fit my needs.

Room Tip: Room 1 is breakfast room. Room 3 is right next to front office and very convenient. I'd recomm...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
El Segundo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here in February when I tacked a night onto a business trip to meet with friends visiting family member at ANC. Yes, the hotel has an older design and I will admit we were nervous checking in, but everything was clean, if outdated. If you want a brand new carpet and plasma TV you are going to pay for it. If you want comfort and a good deal in an expensive area, this is your place.

I understand some people associating 'not new' with 'dirty' but this place was not dirty. We had a corner room on the first floor and had a fantastic nights sleep, much better in fact than the night before at a much higher priced name brand a few miles away.

This hotel provides exactly what I need when traveling - a comfy bed, internet, TV and breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great Value and so close to DC ! Convenient location close to the Metro and they even have shuttle service. A very friendly and helpful staff and good breakfast complete the lovely stay. The hotel is very reasonable amidst a rather expensive area.

Room Tip: Sorry I'm not sure if there is a pool, but I could not correct the entry above
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Due to unexpected medical issues I was moved back to Arlington, VA from Costa Rica. For two (2) days I searched for an afforable and friendly environment in which I could spend several months. Cleanliness is one of my most important issues when choosing a hotel, and The Inn of Rosslyn was our third night stay. We are very impressed with the standard of cleanliness and friendly housekeeper Elvia P. who has provided us with every possible items needed to make me comfortable. Thank you Elvia for keeping our room totally clean everyday and thanks to the wonderful staff I am able to move into a short term furnished apartment that is part of the Inns of Rosslyn. I would recommend your hotel to all my friends and family without reservation and would feel like you treat everyone like your own family members. Again, thank you. Chris M.

Room Tip: All room are air-conditioned very well, the noise from the highway is not a factor in the room facin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Connellsville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Me and my 3 children stayed at the Inn of Rosslyn in July 2012. The front desk workers were very helpful and nice. The metro was a 5-10 minute walk. Area was safe and quiet.
The shower worked very well. Air conditioner worked very well. Room was very clean and didn's have any bad odors. My children liked the hotel. The beds were very comfortable. The price is great for such a nice hotel so close to DC and so safe.
If don't need any frills and you're willing to walk a few blocks to the metro, you won't be disappointed. Me and my children came to the hotel around 1:30 and were allowed to go to our room before the 3:00 check in time. Very much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed here for a week in February 2012 whilst attending a conference in DC - but wanting to keep costs down. The hotel looks a bit shady from the outside but it's actually extremely comfortable and extremely good value.

The Inn of Rosslyn is an excellent balance of quality, location and value. It's a 5-minute walk from the Metro station and, if you time it right with the trains, you can be in central DC within 20-25 minutes of leaving your room. Travelling in the other direction on the Metro, you can also reach Dulles quickly if taking the Washington Flyer bus service from West Falls Church Metro station.

The room price includes a basic breakfast (coffee, juice, bagels, donuts), which is far more than you'd get at a hotel in DC itself.

There's simply no comparison between the price you pay to stay the Inn of Rosslyn and a very basic hotel in central DC. You could end up paying a lot more for a lot less to stay in the centre of DC - I'd rather stay at the Inn of Rosslyn.

The only thing that lets down the Inn of Rosslyn is the in-room wifi, which I found to be very slow and unreliable. Unfortunately this was a fairly big problem for me because I needed good wifi access to do some work in my room and I found that the only viable option was to walk 5 minutes to the nearest Starbucks and use the wifi there because the Inn of Rosslyn's wifi was just too unreliable.

I'll consider the Inn of Rosslyn again in the future - but I'll also keep the Best Western Rosslyn/Iwo Jima in mind, which is almost next-door to the Inn of Rosslyn, is slightly more expensive and doesn't provide breakfast but, crucially, has excellent in-room wifi connectivity (I stayed there in early 2011). Those who don't care as much about wifi as me will find the Inn of Rosslyn ideal!

Overall: great value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I got a great deal on this hotel! Less then ten minutes to the metro and 5 minutes to dc from there. The place is nothing special on the outside, a motel really, but the rooms are super clean and the staff is amazing! Would stay again! My husbands favorite part was the huge b flat screen in our room!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Inn of Rosslyn? Share your experiences!