“A Secret that I am Reluctant to Share” 5 of 5 stars

1400 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Tampa
“A Secret that I am Reluctant to Share”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

The Americana Hotel in Crystal City (Arlington) VA contines to be the best kept hotel secret in the greater DC area. The hotel is convenient, clean, safe, and an incomparable value. As an older hotel surrounded by newer high rise (much more expensive chains), Americana competes with its service--complementary shuttle to National Airport and area destinations, complementary brunch, and personal service. The location is deal for walkers in being located to three Metro (subway) stops so it is easy to reach area attractions inexpensively and quickly with pubic transportation. And the hotel is also close to great shopping at Pentagon City Mall and wonderful local restaurants on 23rd Ave S in Crystalo City.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Hebrew first
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

When we decided to travel to Washington, DC with my cousin, I reserved two rooms at the hotel. Our price was $63 a night, a great bargain and right across the Potomac from Washington. When we got there, my cousin decided to upgrade to a double room rather than a single, for $73 a night. It was twice the size of our room! But our room had all the same amenities, except that she had a queen bed and we had a full. Nevertheless, the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, the complimentary breakfast was good, and the free wi-fi made my husband happy. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Stayed here for four nights when visiting Washington DC. Accommodation in the city and surrounding area is pretty expensive but this was a bargain at $69 for a Queen room booked through the hotel's website. Rooms are dated but clean and comfortable with cable TV and air con. There is free wifi throughout, free basic breakfast and a very useful laundry room for $1. The free shuttle service to Reagan airport and the Pentagon is great, it's only a 5min walk to Crystal City on the Metro and it's then about 25mins into DC. Staff were friendly and helpful, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2010
Warsaw, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Very fair price, free parking (huge bonus), free wifi, free breakfast (lots of carbs, no real protein; I bought some Greek yogurt to supplement), free shuttle service to local airport, metro stop, restaurants, etc. Very comfy bed (we had a king size), very quiet. This hotel serves a great purpose for the budget minded traveler. Don't stay here if you expect 3 star or better. It is what it is, pink bathroom tile and all! but in my opinion it was perfect. (One comment for the management - the elevators could be cleaned up a bit more regularly, also the laundry room.)

One more thing, don't use their address in your GPS to find the place - you'll go in circles! Call and ask and they'll give you an address to plug in that will work much better!

Long Island,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

If you want to stay close to downtown DC and/or Old Town, Alexandria and aren't looking for a fancy hotel, the Americana is the place to stay. The prices are much lower than surrounding hotels. The hotel offers a free shuttle to/from the airport and local attractions/shopping malls. It is a very short walk from the Crystal City Metro Station. This is a "no frills" hotel, but the basics are there.... Clean rooms, friendly service, free continental breakfast, free parking, and free wi-fi. Plenty of restaurants nearby! This is an older hotel without many of the modern amenities. You get a "real" room key! Sure... it could use some sprucing up...like some fresh paint... but it didn't matter to us! There is a 3 day cancellation policy. They offer many discounts if you're on their email list! We spent 3 nights there and intend to return in the near future! It's probably the best kept hotel secret in the area.

Youngstown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

If you are visiting DC for the sights this is your perfect base camp. 10 minute walk to the Crystal City Metro rail. A bunch of places to eat 15 mins walk to 23rd st. Yes it's older, but I kind of liked the retro feel. Room was clean and functional, most importantly no bed bugs, and we looked hard. Very cheap compared to any other hotel in the area. $85 for the night. Great price, and if your into saving cash stay here.

Fort Wayne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

We (husband, 2 sons and myself) stayed here from Aug. 23 - 29, 2010 for which we paid a total of $416.23. I was able to get this lower rate via a link from their Facebook page.

Yes, this is an older hotel. It's not a Holiday Inn or a Marriott. It's not even a Comfort Inn, which is our hotel of choice. We waited too long to make reservations for the event we were attending and as a result, our choices were few. If you like quirky and quaint then I imagine you would enjoy this hotel. If you prefer more upscale establishments, I don't imagine you will enjoy this hotel.

PARKING: We were given a paper to keep on our dashboard indicating we were hotel guests. Our first night we parked under the building. The next morning a spot opened up to where our vehicle would be within eyesight of the front desk. Although we heard of no troubles with vehicle safety during our stay, I was much more comfortable having our vehicle near the front.

BATHROOM: The bathroom had a tub/shower, sink, mirror, hair dryer and toilet. The tiles for the tub/shower and wall were pink. It was roomy enough. There was not a fan in the bathroom but there was a window that if it opened, would have opened to the interior hallway of the hotel. Each day we were left 2 bars of soap and 2 shampoos. We had 4 people in our room and each day were left enough towels for 3 except for one day when were left towels for 2 persons.

ROOM: The room had 2 beds, nighstand, round table with 2 chairs, iron, ironing board, table outside of bathroom, a desktop supported (not anchored) by a dresser on one side and the tv stand/ smaller dresser on the other side. The desk, such as it was, had a chair. The TV was not one of the new flat screen TVs. There was also a fridge on the other dresser. However, it was not on, it smelled and had towels in it. We cleaned it, turned it on and it worked just fine. Our room had a sliding glass door and a balcony. The sliding door did not open. The A/C was quite literally, a window unit placed through a hole cut into the wall from the interior of the hotel, complete with a 5 gallon bucket under it, in the hallway. We were left a hand lotion most days.

FREE BREAKFAST: This consisted of: bagels, donuts, apples, oranges, cold cereals and oatmeal packets. There was butter for the bagels. It was a stick of butter served on a butter dish with one butter knife and not individual packets. Never was there cream cheese as others mentioned having had. Beverages offered were: water, coffee, OJ, milk and tea bags. The creamer was the indivual powdered packets, crunchy powdered packets.

BREAKFAST SEATING AREA: The area itself was roomy but we found it to be sterile. Sterile in the sense that there was no TV or radio for background noise. I was more comfortable taking our breakfast back to our room. To this hotel's credit, they did not object. We've been to hotels that do not allow you to do so.

STAFF: I'm a friendly person, it's been joked around that I don't know a stranger. I've also worked as a front desk clerk for an Inn in my hometown. With the exception of one person, we did not find the staff to be friendly. They were not rude but they were not friendly. One example: I went downstairs one evening for a beverage and the desk clerk spent the entire time staring at the computer monitor with earbuds in one ear. Returning each evening, we were never greeted, even being the only persons in the lobby. I don't recall a time when I saw any of the staff really interacting with guests (greeting upon return, greeting at breakfast, check-in, check-out, etc.).

SHUTTLE: N/A to our stay

METRO: The Americana is in the 1400 block and the Marriott, whose lobby you walk through to reach the Metro station, is in the 1500 block. You are outside for about 5 min. depending on the light and how fast you walk. Once inside the Marriott you will go underground, passing through Crystal City. This adds, again, depending on how fast you walk, another 5 minutes. To be safe I would estimate a 10 min. walk. Not a bad walk at all. From leaving the hotel, I would estimate that we made it to the Federal Triangle stop in under 30 minutes. All of that depends on the crowd size, having your FareCard, when is the train due, etc.

WI-FI: I did not bring my laptop but I overheard complaints about it not working in all of the rooms. It seems like one needed to be in the lobby for the best connection.

*About Crystal City, some of the shops and eateries do close early so if you are returning late you may not find your intended stop open.

I observed all sorts of guests - singles, families, elderly. There were also airline employees staying here. From what I understand, they hold 15 rooms for airline employees - pilots and flight attendants. I saw military in the parking lot each day but never in the hotel. My only guess on that is that maybe they park nearby and ride the metro into the Pentagon?

IN CLOSING: If you can overlook the quirks or just need a place to lay your head down for a night or two, and can get a really good rate, then I would suggest it. Under those conditions, I would stay here again. Otherwise, no. I would pay a little more to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!