“Clean, convenient & cost effective...” 3 of 5 stars

1400 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Boston, Massachusetts
“Clean, convenient & cost effective...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Booked a stay at the Americana fairly last minute for a few days getaway during the week of to DC. As most of the areas I planned to visit were in or around the National Mall area, I would have preferred something in downtown DC (I have stayed at a few previously) but most hotels in the area were either unavailable or ridiculously expensive. After diligently scouring the internet for various availability and pricing, and largely based upon the TripAdvisor reviews, I decided upon the Americana.

Check-in was easy, our room was ready early when we arrive despite it being a pretty full house (we were only about an hour early). The lobby was definitely newly renovated and was charmingly retro, and the staff was friendly. There is a huge parking lot (free parking), however there was only about a half a dozen spots empty when we arrived. I suspect that was just the crossover between check-in/check-out, as it emptied out a lot by evening.

As noted in the title, the room was clean - I was impressed with how clean it was really. And the bed was pretty comfortable. The mattress certainly had been replaced recently. There was also a mini-fridge in the room. Absent that, the rooms weren't much to speak of. The decor was dated, and the colors were kind of drab. I felt like I was back in my old college dorm or something. The climate was controlled by a room air conditioner that was out by the bathroom not very near the bed. I found it difficult to get the temperature decent at night and found myself getting up at night to fiddle with it. The TV was basic cable, nothing fancy.

I think the hallways had kind of an odd smell to them in areas, likely to do the AC units that exhaust to the hall.

I found the room walls a bit thin, and all week I had some obnoxiously loud neighbors next door that came in late. (I on the other hand would come in dog tired after dinner, since museums close early, and be looking to go to bed early). Part of the reason for it being so noisy could have been that there was an connecting door to their room from mine. I could actually here one of them snoring most of one night, but I'm a light sleeper. I guess if you are really sensitive to sound you should request non-adjoining. There was also a lot of door slamming. I don't know if this was from a stairwell door, or room doors, but at times it was so bad it shook my bed. This seems to be a place that might attract a lot of larger groups; when I was leaving, there were two vans arriving that appeared to be a couple of families traveling together.

It was a convenient location if budget does not permit staying downtown. We bought 7 day unlimited short-trip passes for the Metro and that worked out great. The Metro station is right through the Marriott lobby, and the yellow/blue lines accessible from Crystal City station seem to stop near many of the major attractions without transfer. If it's late, the Metro did seem completely safe, but a cab ride is also relatively inexpensive at about $10 from Penn Quarter area. There are several sit down restaurants open late in the Crystal City Shops underground, however be aware that the shops themselves seem to close early evening as well as the food court type places.

As far as cost, you really couldn't beat it. It was about 20% of what the going rate was in downtown DC and a third of the cost of their neighbor "chain brand" hotels right in Crystal City.

A couple of closing notes: while my room was on an inside hallway it looks like some were outside. Also, the door to the room had only a basic door lock and chain - no dead bolt. Not your typical hotel setup. As a woman who travels occasionally for business I would not feel comfortable staying here alone. Luckily I was with someone this time.

So all that being said, would I stay here again? Well, in a pinch, I guess I would pass through for a night. But it wasn't so great I'd stay another bunch of days. I'm a girl who likes my amenities, and after a couple of those long days museum hopping when I got back to my hotel room in the evening, it would have been nice to order up some room service and a movie and just relax or something. But it was fine. And certainly a good value.

• Stayed April 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Hebrew first
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Stayed four nights attending a conference in DC. My room was clean and quiet, the airport service very timely, breakfast options okay. The Metro and an indoor mall is a 5-min walk. Internet worked 100% of the time. It's a no-frills place, but excellent value for the location.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Americana was a great value. Breakfast every morning, free parking, close to the metro station and free wifi--which you NEVER find at more expensive hotels. It was so unexpected to find this hotel so close to DC.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

This hotel is the best value in an area where the hotels are very expensive. It is an older property, but it is well maintained and very clean. The staff are really nice and helpful. The continental breakfast is good (mostly fresh donuts, muffins, bagels, cereals, and fruit). The rooms are in good condition, and the bathrooms have what looks like original tile and fixtures which look really retro and cute.

It is very convenient to DCA airport and walking distance to many restaurants, stores, and the metro. The free taxi service is great; you can get a free ride to anywhere in the area including the airport. But most places are walking distance, so there is no need to use it except to go to the airport.

I stay here each time I travel to this area.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I stayed at Americana Hotel this past weekend with two of my friends. We loved everything about the hotel. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the continental breakfast was a nice touch. We loved the fact that we didn't have to move the car, because of the wonderful driving service, and the fact that the hotel was close to the metro. Best of all, the people who work at the hotel were so friendly and helpful! We will be back!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We did not know what to expect from what we saw online, but we were surprisingly pleased. The rooms were clean and all of the staff was very accommodating. The only thing that we would have changed is that our bathroom did not have a fan and became foggy and very humid after showers.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Richmond, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed just one night to be close to DC for the Cherry Blossom Festival. Room was clean and large enough for our needs. Location was great, just a block from the Crystal City Metro (through the Marriott). Only problem was traffic noise and late night guests next door. We could hear their shower and toilet - woke us up! Breakfast in the morning was good, enough to get the day started. Free parking a huge plus!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!