“a bargain” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Atlanta
“a bargain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

Old motel, but very very clean, quiet and comfortable. Free internet (but may not be accessable from all rooms), continental breakfast (but no bananas or oranges which are advertised). A short walk to the subway, which is a 15-minute ride to downtown Washington. The television is an old staticy cathode-ray tube with 99 cable channels (no premium). There's a hair dryer and clothes iron with board in the room, but no clock or radio. Ice is on the first floor near the front desk. Cheap motel in an upscale neighborhood, surrounded by high-rise luxury apartment and office buildings. There's a Marriott just a block away. My travel expenses were being reimbursed, so I could as easily have stayed at a $300 per night downtown DC hotel. I enjoyed this motel far better than some $300 downtown hotels I've stayed at. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Hebrew first
Kiwis in Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stayed at The Americana for one night after a long day of flying from London. The hotels free airport shuttle arrived promptly after we rang even though we were 2 hours late arriving into DCA. The hotel is by no means the newest on the block, but the rooms are large and clean and quiet, except for the little old refridgerator (which I eventually unplugged). After a good nights sleep we were treated to a free breakfast selection of cereals, bagels, doughnuts, muffins, juice, coffee and tea. The 12pm checkout gave us time to wander around Crystal City for a couple of hours, before we headed into DC. There is a good selection of shops for those items you may have forgotten to pack, or for those things you don't really need to buy! It just a short walk to both the metro station for DC, and to the Virginia Railway Express station if your headed for Manassas or Fredericksburg. For those on a budget The Americana is definately worth a look, but don't expect lavish modern rooms.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

I needed to travel to DC from where I live in Brazil to pick my permanent visa. Never having visited the area I did my homework and discovered that using the Metro and bus system I'd be able to do away with renting a car, and I found an inexpensive hotel near to a subway stop in a fairly nice area - The Americana.

Yes, the building is dated, but it is indeed VERY clean. Why anyone would nitpick considering what they pay per night puzzles me. I had a comfortable bed, a clean room, TV, a free shuttle, and the continental breakfast. Can't really expect much more than that for the money I paid.

My only gripes were that I wasn't aware that the in-room telephones were set so that we couldn't call out. The first day there, after 22 hours stuck on a plane or at an airport I wasn't happy when I discovered that I couldn't even call collect to say I had arrived safely. I ended up walking blocks to find a pay phone that worked. To their credit, after I explained why I was there and that I would be there for a full week, the staff did enable my phone the next day, which I really appreciated. I can understand the reason why they need to take this step.

One of the front desk staff members wasn't overly friendly, but everyone else was very nice. I found that the housekeeping staff all returned the smile I gave them.

We plan to return to DC to finish the sightseeing I didn't get a chance to finish, and will certainly be thinking of the Americana when we do.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

I could not be happier with this hotel especially given the price and the helpfulness of the staff.

While this hotel is not plush or glamorous, it is clean, orderly, affordable and has a free shuttle every 30 minutes between 6am--11pm. The shuttle will take you to the Metro station or other places in Crystal City.

I stayed at the Americana Hotel because I was attending a conference but did not have an expense account to pay for a hotel room. I was delighted with the convenience and promptness of the shuttle that would take me to the Crystal City Hilton. For reference, the conference discount for the Hilton was $169 + tax and the regular price started at about $250 (it's not an exceedingly nice hotel, by the way). For $80 per night (plus $8.20 tax per day), I feel like I got quite a deal!

There were a couple things I was not crazy about but, again, I think for the price makes up for it and then some. The wireless internet signal was poor or non-existent in my room. I think (and was politely told) it would have been fine in the common areas and always saw people happily sitting with their computers when I walked through those spaces. My room was humid and slightly musty but that was ameliorated by the heater/air conditioner in the room that I could control. Keeping the (very loud) bathroom fan on and the heater/AC kept air moving and dried it out.

If you are looking for a simple and modest place to sleep, the Americana Hotel is ideal. If you are expecting anything more upscale than a very clean and dated looking room, you will probably be disappointed. I think it would be fair to compare the Americana Hotel to an immaculately clean hostel but one where you have a comfortable room to yourself and a lot more privacy.

Bottom line: I have traveled all over the world and have stayed in a wide range of places, from high end hotels to an odd smelling cabin in Suriname. Given a wide range of experiences to which I can compare my stay at the Americana Hotel, I highly recommend the Americana Hotel based on the price, convenience and outstanding customer service from the flexible and pleasant staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

spent 5 nites here in May. Close to DC. One block away from Crystal City Metro station and underground shopping and dining. I never had to drive my car the whole time in DC, and they dont charge for parking. Metro got me everywhere I wanted to go for a total of about $20. Quick and easy to use. Four block away from 23rd street shopping and dining. Older hotel and has not been updated, and not much to look at from the street or lobby. Entrance is not on Jefferson Davis Highway, but the street that runs behind the property. Room was roomy and clean, heat worked well and relatively quiet. Only noise problem I had was when next room was using the tub/shower. Front desk was helpful and took me to 23rd street in the hotel van at no charge. Continental breakfast is OK, juice, cereal, pastries, coffee, bagels, etc. I had a good rate of $80 per nite, which I thought was great considering the convienent location. This is a good place if you dont mind a hotel that shows some of its age, but is clean and everything works.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

I was very pleased that the hotel was CLEAN. We booked online (which is cheaper than calling in), and for $99, I didn't know what we were going to get. It's not super-fancy, but the bathrooms and beds were very clean. Plus, I thought it'd be a bit of a trek to travel between DC and Arlington, but really, when you are in the car, you are on a main street in the main tourist area of DC, and then all of the sudden, the hotel is there. It really wasn't far off at all...within 4-5 minutes. Plus, parking is free, which is not the case for other hotels in the area. Surroundings = safe...there are lots of other higher-end hotels on all sides. We'd stay there again....cost-efficient and clean.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Abingdon, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

This hotel was VERY clean. Aged a little but all in all very nice.
not to mention you did not have to pay to PARK..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!