“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Brooklyn, NY
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

I could not be happier with this hotel especially given the price and the helpfulness of the staff.

While this hotel is not plush or glamorous, it is clean, orderly, affordable and has a free shuttle every 30 minutes between 6am--11pm. The shuttle will take you to the Metro station or other places in Crystal City.

I stayed at the Americana Hotel because I was attending a conference but did not have an expense account to pay for a hotel room. I was delighted with the convenience and promptness of the shuttle that would take me to the Crystal City Hilton. For reference, the conference discount for the Hilton was $169 + tax and the regular price started at about $250 (it's not an exceedingly nice hotel, by the way). For $80 per night (plus $8.20 tax per day), I feel like I got quite a deal!

There were a couple things I was not crazy about but, again, I think for the price makes up for it and then some. The wireless internet signal was poor or non-existent in my room. I think (and was politely told) it would have been fine in the common areas and always saw people happily sitting with their computers when I walked through those spaces. My room was humid and slightly musty but that was ameliorated by the heater/air conditioner in the room that I could control. Keeping the (very loud) bathroom fan on and the heater/AC kept air moving and dried it out.

If you are looking for a simple and modest place to sleep, the Americana Hotel is ideal. If you are expecting anything more upscale than a very clean and dated looking room, you will probably be disappointed. I think it would be fair to compare the Americana Hotel to an immaculately clean hostel but one where you have a comfortable room to yourself and a lot more privacy.

Bottom line: I have traveled all over the world and have stayed in a wide range of places, from high end hotels to an odd smelling cabin in Suriname. Given a wide range of experiences to which I can compare my stay at the Americana Hotel, I highly recommend the Americana Hotel based on the price, convenience and outstanding customer service from the flexible and pleasant staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

682 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hebrew first
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

spent 5 nites here in May. Close to DC. One block away from Crystal City Metro station and underground shopping and dining. I never had to drive my car the whole time in DC, and they dont charge for parking. Metro got me everywhere I wanted to go for a total of about $20. Quick and easy to use. Four block away from 23rd street shopping and dining. Older hotel and has not been updated, and not much to look at from the street or lobby. Entrance is not on Jefferson Davis Highway, but the street that runs behind the property. Room was roomy and clean, heat worked well and relatively quiet. Only noise problem I had was when next room was using the tub/shower. Front desk was helpful and took me to 23rd street in the hotel van at no charge. Continental breakfast is OK, juice, cereal, pastries, coffee, bagels, etc. I had a good rate of $80 per nite, which I thought was great considering the convienent location. This is a good place if you dont mind a hotel that shows some of its age, but is clean and everything works.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

I was very pleased that the hotel was CLEAN. We booked online (which is cheaper than calling in), and for $99, I didn't know what we were going to get. It's not super-fancy, but the bathrooms and beds were very clean. Plus, I thought it'd be a bit of a trek to travel between DC and Arlington, but really, when you are in the car, you are on a main street in the main tourist area of DC, and then all of the sudden, the hotel is there. It really wasn't far off at all...within 4-5 minutes. Plus, parking is free, which is not the case for other hotels in the area. Surroundings = safe...there are lots of other higher-end hotels on all sides. We'd stay there again....cost-efficient and clean.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Abingdon, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

This hotel was VERY clean. Aged a little but all in all very nice.
not to mention you did not have to pay to PARK..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

Family and I stayed in this hotel for 1 night. We were for a week in Washington DC and stayed at a different hotel. When our flight was cancelled from Washington's National airport, we needed to stay for an extra night in the area.

Most of the hotels in the area wanted $250+ for a night. I came accross the AMERICANA HOTEL in the magazine I picked up at the Airport, which advertized the low rate for this hotel. I called them from the airport. The Hotel gave me a rate of $85+tax for a night stay. And this to take into consideration that i did not make any prearranged reservations, or anything. They just gave me this rate off the rack. I agreed of course, and they sent their shuttle to the airport to pick me and my family up.

( If the hotel staff reading this review, I would like to thank you for offering me this rate, where as you could have sold me the room for much more, given I had no choice, and I needed to stay a night because of my cancelled flight. Thank you)

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the friendly reception, who issued our keys to us. This is like 1-2 star hotel/motel. The room was standard, with 2 queen beds , a TV, fridge, and a table. The furniture was on the older side, but given the age of the hotel (1963) it was ok, and we did not mind for 1 night. Even though the furniture was old, the room and bathroom was clean.

This hotel offers Free Wifi, and free Continental breakfast. The Hotel does not have a reastaurant, but their shuttle takes you anywhere within the Crystal city if you would like to eat out.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Great place to stay when visiting DC/ northern VA on a budget. I stayed there for two days instead of at the hotel hosting my conference, saving me $120 a night. Building is on the older side and rooms have some older style furnishings and decor, but furniture was in great condition, and the rooms were impeccably maintained. No chipping paint, torn cushions, uncomfortable bed, etc. Staff were young but very personable. Location was great - about 1.5 blocks from Metro entrance and shuttle took me to hotel straight from National Airport. Room was quiet and great spread for breakfast - unlike the nearby hotels that charge twice as much. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a good, clean hotel with great location in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Colchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Rude staff, very basic rooms. Not bad for subway and local shopping centre. Didn't have a great nights sleep due to inconsiderate neighbours.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!