+ Cheap, close to DC, friendly staff, free: parking, breakfast, wifi
- Smelly, near highway, little noisy, poor bathroom, missing some "standard" room items
My family of 4 stayed here for a weekend in July 2013. The location and price are excellent for visiting DC. The area seemed pretty safe and there are many restaurants and the Metro nearby. A trip on the Metro will cost you $5.50 per person round trip. Because of that, we opted to drive in and park (cost $11 by the Air & Space Museum) - less than a 10 minute drive. On Sunday we parked on Ohio SW for free and walked to the monuments.
Now for the hotel/room... the hotel is really a hotel/motel. Some rooms have interior hallways, some don't. We stayed in a deluxe double, which means a normal double except it has newer carpets, newer bedding, a fresh coat of paint and a flat screen TV. The rest of the room is furnished with obviously worn furniture (chipped dressers & desk, torn seats).
The bathroom had ants and very strangely, a window to the outside hallway? As I I stood waiting for the elevator 1 morning I could clearly make out my wife in the bathroom. The window is frosted so details are blurred but it is still bizarre. No way to cover the window, by the way. If you are over 5'8" or so, don't plan on standing directly under the shower head without crouching. Water pressure and temp were good. Bathroom is obviously dated. If you have lots of things you normally place on a vanity sink, you can forget it here.
Our room faced the highway. And when I say faced, I mean, I could clearly see into people's cars. The room does a pretty good job of blocking the outside noise, although there was a big accident 1 night so we could hear honking and emergency sirens. There is also a small "deck" outside the window. I'm not sure if you're even supposed to go out there as there is a pole keeping the slider closed. All of the decks are connected, so that seemed a little weird.
The room does not have a clock nor does it have a luggage rack. Had a hair dryer, mini-fridge and iron board. Beds were comfortable enough and bedding seemed clean. The air conditioner in the room worked well but it is very noisy (although it's white noise and it helps block outside noise, actually).
The hallways smell horrible. Basically, like warm, wet garbage. This is probably because they have large trash cans scattered here and there that must never be cleaned. Elevator is old, but not as slow as some reviewers make it seem.
Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly as was the shuttle driver. The breakfast choices were decent - plenty of Dunkin Donuts, bagels w fixins, fruit, cereal, coffee, apple & I think orange juice, and milk.
Parking was ample and convenient. No pool or fitness center, in case you didn't know that already.
I read reviews before I went so I knew this was NOT a 5-star hotel. It is half the price or better than nearly every other hotel in the DC area and it was convenient to the attractions. They could definitely do a few things to improve the quality of the hotel.
If you are looking for a cheap place to stay, this might work for you. Read the reviews and go with even lower expectations. It was good enough for us to stick it out, but if I returned to DC, I'd probably splurge a little more and stay elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Americana Hotel is ideally situated in a neighborhood in Arlington, Virginia called Crystal City across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. Since 1963, our family-owned-and-operated hotel near Washington D.C. has never wavered from its commitment to complete guest satisfaction with every stay. Business and leisure travelers alike are sure to appreciate our comfortable Arlington hotel accommodations and well-appointed Crystal City hotel amenities that include free shuttle service and a complimentary continental breakfast. We are only 1 mile from the Nation’s capital and within walking distance of two Metro stops. Please call us today and let us help you plan your next trip to Washington, DC! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Otel and Hotels.com so you can book your Americana Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Americana Hotel Arlington
- Americana Arlington