“Cute and cheap. Not high quality. Lots of free extras.” 5 of 5 stars

1400 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Mentor, Ohio
“Cute and cheap. Not high quality. Lots of free extras.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at the Americana and used the metro so I didn't have to try to navigate the city. It was definitely not a quality hotel but we felt safe and it was somewhat on the cheap side. They had free parking and free shuttle to metro. Free breakfast was just fruit, a muffin and bagel and juice I think. They might have had some cereal too. Found the recommendations for it on tripadvisor. They seem to refer this one to anyone looking for a decent, but cheap place to stay. My teenager wasn't too keen on it, but all we had to do was sleep there....
It was a pretty old place and I know that there were stairs to get in and stairs to get to the elevator (because I was so annoyed with trying to get my ROLLING cooler to my room--- while the front desk person just chuckled at my sorry attempt!). Once you got up the 4 stairs, there was an elevator to take you to your floor. BUT it was VERY slow.
I would stay here again due to the value. The price is very reasonable and the extras that you get - free parking, free shuttle, free breakfast- definitely make this hotel a NO BRAINER!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is my third stay at the Americana, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else (1996, 2006, 2013). It's quaint, small, retro, and I love it. You can walk less than 2 blocks to the metro. They have pickup/drop off at the Reagan airport. Their staff members have been there for YEARS and know the area, know the hotel, and know guests.

It's a no-frills hotel other than the breakfast (bagels, pastries, cereals, juice, coffee) and service. Rooms are pretty basic, but clean.

You don't need a car because of its location near the metro and van service, but if you have one, they do have parking beneath the hotel.

I don't remember the previous visits' rates, but I'm sure they were reasonable because my mother and I are both frugal travelers -- we do NOT travel for the hotel, but the experiences at the location. The Americana is a real treat for us.

This year, in celebration of my turning 50 -- oops! -- THEIR turning 50, their rates were adjusted to the year they opened: '63 ... or $63.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that this hotel is a throwback to an earlier era, surrounded by the modern highrises that better "utilize" real estate but lack the character of this hotel. I've learned that the original owners have died, and can only hope their absence will not precipitate the end of this long-enduring hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AmericanaHotel, Owner at Americana Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Woo Hoo! We're so happy to hear you wouldn't stay anywhere else and really appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay! It's guests like you who've kept us in business these last 50 years, and despite the passing of our founder, we're still family owned and operated and sincerely hope we'll live up to the legacy left to us for many more years to come. Thank you for pointing out so many of the benefits of staying with us, including the personality and character that comes from being here all those years, and thank you also for staying with us whenever you're in D.C. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel our way!

All the best,
Your Friends at Americana Hotel
Wil, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

For only 63 $, You get a basic room, a bathroom where the shower is working, no bed mugs, a free parking und breakfast and that only 5 min from Downtown Washington , the Arlington Cemetary and the Pentagon. The other Hotels in DC charge 30 Dollar for just a parking place, so this is really a bargain. Check in and check out went also really easy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The price and location attracted me to this hotel. Both were excellent. I would definitely stay here again. I booked a standard room, which is cheaper because they have not been upgraded. It was shabby but clean and fresh smelling. The furnishings were entirely adequate and the free wifi worked well. The breakfast selection is small but of good quality. I used the free shuttle to get to the airport. For all the good things about this hotel, it's a real bargain!

Note that the hotel does not have a sign out at the street--it's up on the building. It's immediately adjacent to Embassy Suites.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

1/2 the price of other basic hotels that i have stayed in. rooms were as basic as they come but clean, bed was very comfortable and it was convenient to the metro. I found the staff was helpful and had no issue with wifi speed as had been reported by others. there was a small fridge in the room - no coffee maker but there was coffee and hot water in the lobby at all times.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am so glad I found this hotel for a vacation with my husband from May 1-5.
Before arriving, I saw that someone recommended using 1400 South Eads Street as the address in your GPS, which is what we did, and it worked perfectly. I also checked out google maps beforehand and saw that the entrance to the hotel parking lot is right beyond the Bank of America on the right side of the road after turning onto South Eads. We really had no trouble finding it even though there is not a large sign right at the entrance of the parking lot.
I told my husband not to judge the hotel based on the outside! He was definitely skeptical, but we were both very pleased when we stepped into the lobby. It was very clean and nicely furnished. The check-in process was easy with no problems.
We were very pleasantly surprised when we went into our room. We had a standard king room for the anniversary special of $63/night. It had the same nice bedding as the deluxe rooms show on the website. There was a mini fridge, a desk, two chairs for relaxing, a hairdryer in the bathroom, etc. I think because it was a standard room, I was expecting it to look more basic, but after walking past and peaking into other rooms, I don't see it being so much different than the deluxe rooms.
Our room was facing the Embassy Suites, so highway noise was not an issue for us as others have complained. I think if you are worried about it, you should call when placing your reservation to specify that you don't want to be on the highway side, although I thought I read at one point that it depends which type of room you want. For instance, king rooms face Embassy, double or queen may face highway, etc. I would just check with them ahead of time to avoid problems. We were on the first floor which was perfect. I think I would request the first floor any time I stay here. It was just easy.
The bed was extremely comfortable and I loved the shower. The water pressure was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed shower time at the end of a long day. The water was also hot and we never ran out. Sometimes in the beginning of the shower, you'd have to turn it up most of the way for it to come out hot, but once it got hot, you had to turn it way down to make it a reasonable temperature. This did not bother me- just a tip I thought I'd throw out there! There was a nice sized flat screen TV in our room as well which was nice when I wanted to see some TV later at night before falling asleep.
I like that the hotel is green and will only wash/replace towels if you leave them on the floor. I don't think it's necessary to have towels after only one use. My only complaint with being "green" is that there was no recycling bin in the room, and I thought there was supposed to be. I only saw regular trash cans in our rooms, and we threw away many cans/bottles. I always recycle so it was annoying knowing they were going to end up in a landfill.
The hotel was so close to so many things and in a very safe area. The metro was very close and within walking distance, but I know the shuttle would take you if you would prefer. We did not use the shuttle as we enjoyed the walking. We also walked to the Pentagon City Mall, and even beyond that, for dinner. We walked to the Pentagon Memorial as well which really wasn't too far of a walk either.
The AC worked great. I was confused when we arrived because the heat was actually on full blast. I think they just turned the knob to the wrong setting. There was also a sliding glass door that leads to the outside. I only used this a couple times to see the temperature in the morning before departing. Our lock was broken on the door and it took me a bit to realize that I couldn't open the door because there was a metal rod in the track to prevent it from being opened (since the lock was broken). So I just moved that out of the way to get the door open. No biggie. Nice being able to step right outside if you want to!
Complimentary breakfast consisted of bagels with cream cheese/butter, donuts, cereal, juice, milk, coffee... I only had a bagel the one morning. It was perfectly fine and nice that they have something if you are interested. If this is not enough for you, Crystal City has some good and quick breakfast options such as Potbelly Sandwich Works and Café Jenna. Both of which are delicious and VERY affordable!
I obviously don't have much negative feedback. I am SO glad we found this place and only spent $277 for 4 nights. I would never pay the insanely inflated costs to stay elsewhere in the area.
Of course, if luxury is what you need, then feel free to book the Embassy Suites next door.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and writing such a GREAT review! We love guests like you who want what we have to offer -- namely clean, comfortable rooms, a convenient location, reasonable prices, and friendly service -- and we appreciate you letting others know about us. Thank you also for pointing out some tips on getting to us and selecting the proper room types. Since we now must enter the property from the back because of the highway exit ramp that was built across the front of our property, it does often help to put in an address on S. Eads Street for the GPS. As to the rooms, all of our double rooms face Jefferson Davis Highway, while our king rooms face Embassy Suites and our queen rooms face the vacant lot on the other side; we have no rooms facing S. Eads St. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our standard room, including the comfortable beds and shower pressure, and appreciate your suggestion on a recycling bin in the room; we do have recycling cans on each floor but can see where it would be more convenient to have it in the room. Thanks also for letting others know that the free continental breakfast offers a good start, but for those with heartier appetites, there's LOTS of options nearby, and for highlighting the value and affordability of staying with us; we sincerely appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards,
Your Friends at Americana Hotel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there one night right after a night at the Marriott in DC. I booked a room at the Marriott online happy with a good rate just to find out nothing was included so spent double there I was extremely happy to find Americana with included breakfast and free parking ( we spent $50 at Marriott).
The stuff here was very nice and friendly, rooms were very clean and location was great just a few minutes from national mall, as close as you can get to it for $85/night :)
This hotel is perfect for those who are on a budget. Rooms are dated but clean!
Metro was close to the hotel also.
Great money saver!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!