“basic but meets your needs” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #20 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Mississauga, Canada
“basic but meets your needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

1/2 the price of other basic hotels that i have stayed in. rooms were as basic as they come but clean, bed was very comfortable and it was convenient to the metro. I found the staff was helpful and had no issue with wifi speed as had been reported by others. there was a small fridge in the room - no coffee maker but there was coffee and hot water in the lobby at all times.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hebrew first
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am so glad I found this hotel for a vacation with my husband from May 1-5.
Before arriving, I saw that someone recommended using 1400 South Eads Street as the address in your GPS, which is what we did, and it worked perfectly. I also checked out google maps beforehand and saw that the entrance to the hotel parking lot is right beyond the Bank of America on the right side of the road after turning onto South Eads. We really had no trouble finding it even though there is not a large sign right at the entrance of the parking lot.
I told my husband not to judge the hotel based on the outside! He was definitely skeptical, but we were both very pleased when we stepped into the lobby. It was very clean and nicely furnished. The check-in process was easy with no problems.
We were very pleasantly surprised when we went into our room. We had a standard king room for the anniversary special of $63/night. It had the same nice bedding as the deluxe rooms show on the website. There was a mini fridge, a desk, two chairs for relaxing, a hairdryer in the bathroom, etc. I think because it was a standard room, I was expecting it to look more basic, but after walking past and peaking into other rooms, I don't see it being so much different than the deluxe rooms.
Our room was facing the Embassy Suites, so highway noise was not an issue for us as others have complained. I think if you are worried about it, you should call when placing your reservation to specify that you don't want to be on the highway side, although I thought I read at one point that it depends which type of room you want. For instance, king rooms face Embassy, double or queen may face highway, etc. I would just check with them ahead of time to avoid problems. We were on the first floor which was perfect. I think I would request the first floor any time I stay here. It was just easy.
The bed was extremely comfortable and I loved the shower. The water pressure was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed shower time at the end of a long day. The water was also hot and we never ran out. Sometimes in the beginning of the shower, you'd have to turn it up most of the way for it to come out hot, but once it got hot, you had to turn it way down to make it a reasonable temperature. This did not bother me- just a tip I thought I'd throw out there! There was a nice sized flat screen TV in our room as well which was nice when I wanted to see some TV later at night before falling asleep.
I like that the hotel is green and will only wash/replace towels if you leave them on the floor. I don't think it's necessary to have towels after only one use. My only complaint with being "green" is that there was no recycling bin in the room, and I thought there was supposed to be. I only saw regular trash cans in our rooms, and we threw away many cans/bottles. I always recycle so it was annoying knowing they were going to end up in a landfill.
The hotel was so close to so many things and in a very safe area. The metro was very close and within walking distance, but I know the shuttle would take you if you would prefer. We did not use the shuttle as we enjoyed the walking. We also walked to the Pentagon City Mall, and even beyond that, for dinner. We walked to the Pentagon Memorial as well which really wasn't too far of a walk either.
The AC worked great. I was confused when we arrived because the heat was actually on full blast. I think they just turned the knob to the wrong setting. There was also a sliding glass door that leads to the outside. I only used this a couple times to see the temperature in the morning before departing. Our lock was broken on the door and it took me a bit to realize that I couldn't open the door because there was a metal rod in the track to prevent it from being opened (since the lock was broken). So I just moved that out of the way to get the door open. No biggie. Nice being able to step right outside if you want to!
Complimentary breakfast consisted of bagels with cream cheese/butter, donuts, cereal, juice, milk, coffee... I only had a bagel the one morning. It was perfectly fine and nice that they have something if you are interested. If this is not enough for you, Crystal City has some good and quick breakfast options such as Potbelly Sandwich Works and Café Jenna. Both of which are delicious and VERY affordable!
I obviously don't have much negative feedback. I am SO glad we found this place and only spent $277 for 4 nights. I would never pay the insanely inflated costs to stay elsewhere in the area.
Of course, if luxury is what you need, then feel free to book the Embassy Suites next door.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AmericanaHotel, Owner at Americana Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and writing such a GREAT review! We love guests like you who want what we have to offer -- namely clean, comfortable rooms, a convenient location, reasonable prices, and friendly service -- and we appreciate you letting others know about us. Thank you also for pointing out some tips on getting to us and selecting the proper room types. Since we now must enter the property from the back because of the highway exit ramp that was built across the front of our property, it does often help to put in an address on S. Eads Street for the GPS. As to the rooms, all of our double rooms face Jefferson Davis Highway, while our king rooms face Embassy Suites and our queen rooms face the vacant lot on the other side; we have no rooms facing S. Eads St. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our standard room, including the comfortable beds and shower pressure, and appreciate your suggestion on a recycling bin in the room; we do have recycling cans on each floor but can see where it would be more convenient to have it in the room. Thanks also for letting others know that the free continental breakfast offers a good start, but for those with heartier appetites, there's LOTS of options nearby, and for highlighting the value and affordability of staying with us; we sincerely appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards,
Your Friends at Americana Hotel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there one night right after a night at the Marriott in DC. I booked a room at the Marriott online happy with a good rate just to find out nothing was included so spent double there I was extremely happy to find Americana with included breakfast and free parking ( we spent $50 at Marriott).
The stuff here was very nice and friendly, rooms were very clean and location was great just a few minutes from national mall, as close as you can get to it for $85/night :)
This hotel is perfect for those who are on a budget. Rooms are dated but clean!
Metro was close to the hotel also.
Great money saver!

• Stayed May 2013
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I booked the Americana for my DC stay without hesitation. It turned out to be a terrific decision - saving me hundreds of dollars. As well as value for money, this place offers a whole lot more. The location is terrific - easy access to DC on the subway system as well as walking distance to Pentagon City mall, Crystal City mall and some fantastic eateries on 23rd Street. Loads of parking for those with a car. The place looks old and run down but in fact it appears to have been well maintained over the years. I had no problems with traffic noise and the bed was the most comfortable of my entire holiday. Free shuttle to the airport was very welcome - as was basic breakfast each morning. You'd be nuts to stay anywhere else when visiting DC!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hotel/motel has several advantages like position close to metro, free wifi and breakfasts, free parking, cheap loundry (only 1 dollar for 1 load). Staff is quite friendly. Rooms are quite old but everything looks fine. Absolutelly affordable price if comparing to other hotels in Washington DC!
What caused some discomfort is how loud it is in the room: windows face a highway which produces loud noise and the walls are quite thin so you hear very well what other people in the hotel are doing. Also the temperature in the room was quite cold and the heating system did not work.
To sum up - if you are not sensitive about noise when you are sleeping and looking for an affordable price - it is a good place to stay, otherwise you should think of other location.

• Stayed April 2013
Penticton, B. C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We read the Tripadvisor reviews previously posted and made our bookings for three rooms for three nights at the 50th Anniversary rate of $63 per room per night. What incredible value this was. The first night we arrived late (shuttle picked us up at Regan Airport very quickly) and our three connecting rooms weren't available but they promised that they would be available the next day and they were. Rooms have been redecorated very tastefully but you still have some of the retro 60s charm of the mosaic tile in the bathrooms. Rooms even come with a mini-fridge. Continental breakfast was decent and more than we have gotten in much more expensive properties. Shuttle van to take you around the area is very accommodating. This is a great central location and easy access to downtown DC. Much better to pay this price and have less decor in the lobby than what we paid last time in downtown for a suite at $450 a night. Many other ways to spend your money in Washington so save it on your hotel stay. Will be back on our next trip to DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a redecorated room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jefferson City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

A hidden place within the big high rise apartments and hotels nearby. The hotel is a good budget hotel considering the area....a 5 minute walk to the Crystal City Metro. You can tell the hotel is a bit dated but not horrible considering I paid 63 bucks a night. The room and bed were fine. The bathroom is a bit on the small side and lacks counter space (that would be my only issue--but not a deal breaker by any means). I used the laundry facility which is 2 bucks per load. I'm not a big breakfast eater but it seemed there was a good selection and the common area was always busy during breakfast. I normally would just go and get a couple donuts which I think are from Dunkin Donuts which was fine with me!! Hotel staff was fine---the housekeeping was great. I used the hotel shuttle and everything went fine--I called when I arrived at DCA and was told to meet outside door 9--just a 10 minute wait and they also take you to other places in Crystal City as they ran me to the grocery store.

Overall a good value: location--close to metro and price make it a great place to stay. A no frills place and great for a budget traveler who doesn't spend much time in the room but more time visiting the city like myself!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!