“Noisy rooms, good price...” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #18 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Moscow, Russia
“Noisy rooms, good price...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hotel/motel has several advantages like position close to metro, free wifi and breakfasts, free parking, cheap loundry (only 1 dollar for 1 load). Staff is quite friendly. Rooms are quite old but everything looks fine. Absolutelly affordable price if comparing to other hotels in Washington DC!
What caused some discomfort is how loud it is in the room: windows face a highway which produces loud noise and the walls are quite thin so you hear very well what other people in the hotel are doing. Also the temperature in the room was quite cold and the heating system did not work.
To sum up - if you are not sensitive about noise when you are sleeping and looking for an affordable price - it is a good place to stay, otherwise you should think of other location.

• Stayed April 2013

706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Hebrew first
Penticton, B. C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We read the Tripadvisor reviews previously posted and made our bookings for three rooms for three nights at the 50th Anniversary rate of $63 per room per night. What incredible value this was. The first night we arrived late (shuttle picked us up at Regan Airport very quickly) and our three connecting rooms weren't available but they promised that they would be available the next day and they were. Rooms have been redecorated very tastefully but you still have some of the retro 60s charm of the mosaic tile in the bathrooms. Rooms even come with a mini-fridge. Continental breakfast was decent and more than we have gotten in much more expensive properties. Shuttle van to take you around the area is very accommodating. This is a great central location and easy access to downtown DC. Much better to pay this price and have less decor in the lobby than what we paid last time in downtown for a suite at $450 a night. Many other ways to spend your money in Washington so save it on your hotel stay. Will be back on our next trip to DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a redecorated room.
Jefferson City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

A hidden place within the big high rise apartments and hotels nearby. The hotel is a good budget hotel considering the area....a 5 minute walk to the Crystal City Metro. You can tell the hotel is a bit dated but not horrible considering I paid 63 bucks a night. The room and bed were fine. The bathroom is a bit on the small side and lacks counter space (that would be my only issue--but not a deal breaker by any means). I used the laundry facility which is 2 bucks per load. I'm not a big breakfast eater but it seemed there was a good selection and the common area was always busy during breakfast. I normally would just go and get a couple donuts which I think are from Dunkin Donuts which was fine with me!! Hotel staff was fine---the housekeeping was great. I used the hotel shuttle and everything went fine--I called when I arrived at DCA and was told to meet outside door 9--just a 10 minute wait and they also take you to other places in Crystal City as they ran me to the grocery store.

Overall a good value: location--close to metro and price make it a great place to stay. A no frills place and great for a budget traveler who doesn't spend much time in the room but more time visiting the city like myself!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Needham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights in April. This is an average hotel whose chief asset is decent prices so close to Washington, DC. The deluxe room was ok, nothing great, and there were not a lot of choices for breakfast, but it was what I expected, given the price.

The hotel is located just off of Route 395, in a convienent location, IF you know where you are going. From the south, take 395 north to exit 8C, then a left, followed by a right on South Eads St. Despite the address, the entrance to the parking lot is off of South Eads, just beyond Embassy
Suites, before 15th St. I knew this and still went by it! From the north, take the route 1 exit off of 395 south. You can see the hotel on the right as soon as you exit, but you have to take a right on 15th St, followed by a right on S Eads, to get to the parking lot.

One plus is that some of the parking spaces are under the hotel, with a nearby elevator.

If you stay here, be aware that you will be getting 2 star accommodations, but it is a great value for the location. I would stay here again.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

First of all, after reading the review about alleged "bed bugs", I was a bit terrified to book two nights at this hotel. To my relief, there were no bed bugs in or around my bed!

The exterior of the hotel definitely threw me off a bit. I knew that I wasn't paying for a premium, but I expected a Days Inn-sort-of-vibe to be radiating from the building. Americana Hotel's building is definitely worn out, and it could seem like an infested MOTEL from the outside. But, once you step inside the lobby and room, all of those preconceived opinions vaporize!

The lobby is very clean.
The room is very nice for the price (except for the hideous tile flooring in the bathroom).

Overall, Americana Hotel is a jem for price-conscious travelers that want an affordable lodging option!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Burnsville, Nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Last weekend, April 19 - 22, 2013, was my third visit to the Americana Hotel. It's still my choice for value, convenience, comfort and safety. I've visited here three times in six years. I consider this hotel to be my go-to place for DC travel.

When I visit Washington, DC, I want a comfortable place to spend my nights. During the day, I leave early and return late. Sometimes, I visit my daughter in Adams Morgan; sometimes, I tour the Smithsonian Museums; sometimes, I explore Alexandria; and sometimes, I enjoy the peace and reverence of Arlington Cemetery. The Metro is only a block or so away -- I can go anywhere the Metro goes with exceptional ease and safety.

This relatively small hotel/motel is overshadowed by several surrounding high-rise, luxury hotels. If you enjoy spending more to stay in a luxury hotel, don't choose Americana. You would consider it "dowdy." But, if you want a great place to sleep after all your adventures in DC, and you aren't too proud to consider value instead of prestige, this is the place for you.

My previous visits were with my husband; last weekend's visit was with my sister-in-law. Over the last six years, Americana has improved on at least two amenities -- bedding and Wi-Fi. Our room was on the 4th floor this time. The beds were very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was also clean and adequate -- there is salmon-pink tile there, but I look at that as a "retro" style. The Wi-Fi worked great.

The breakfast isn't superb, but it's adequate to get a morning start.

As an added kudo to the Americana staff, I found a credit card error when I returned home. I called Americana Hotel, and the staff person assisted me very efficiently. For some reason, I had been assigned to two rooms, and the housekeeping staff had already reported that the second room had never been occupied, so the incorrect charge was refunded.

My summary -- the American Hotel is NOT the Marriott (a block away). The Marriott is an expensive, luxury hotel. The Americana is a reasonably- priced, retro hotel that is a bargain if you care more about spending money reasonably. I saved enough with my hotel stay to afford a great dinner at a fancy restaurant in DC. I loved it!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel was just as described in the website. The price couldn't be better. I would have paid the same for one night a block away at my conference, as I did for 4 nights at the Americana.Clean, safe, wonderfully helpful staff, and SO close to Metro. We were too busy spending the money we saved eating out, touring, and at happy hours, instead of sitting in the hotel. The shuttle service was great, and so close to the airport.

Room Tip: I spent the first night in a deluxe room, which was nicer (flat screen TV, better mattress and newer...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!