“Great location, clean, and budget-friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Americana Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, clean, and budget-friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel was just as described in the website. The price couldn't be better. I would have paid the same for one night a block away at my conference, as I did for 4 nights at the Americana.Clean, safe, wonderfully helpful staff, and SO close to Metro. We were too busy spending the money we saved eating out, touring, and at happy hours, instead of sitting in the hotel. The shuttle service was great, and so close to the airport.

Room Tip: I spent the first night in a deluxe room, which was nicer (flat screen TV, better mattress and newer...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
Dalton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

to be honest, when we drove up, my son said in an incredulous voice "we are staying here?" and I said yes because I had seen reviews that were relevant to what our needs were: Close to DC metro, inexpensive, clean and safe. We usually stay in a Gaylord, Doubletree or Millenium hotel but we also like small boutique hotels with personality. The Americana was very much the retro budget motel. Our room was on the outside so our door was to the outside hallway and our patio doors opened on the side of the expressway but there were no issues with noise. The furniture was adequate, i never did figure out the temperature but we were comfortable. Our bathroom was Super Clean. The breakfast was nice. Free wifi, free breakfast and free parking in DC was a mega plus. By the time we left at the end of the week, my son said - "you know mom, I would stay here again" - enough said!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed alone at the Americana April 16-19. I loved this place! It was safe, clean, close to the metro, free wifi and a decent (but not outstanding) breakfast. Breakfast consisted of donuts, muffins, bagels, fruit, coffee, juice and cereals. The donuts were pretty good.

The lobby always had a water cooler/hot water dispenser available. This was very useful as I was able to fill my water bottle before leaving for the day.

Don't expect anything fancy, because this place definitely is not fancy,. However, I really liked the old school retro styling of the place. I was worried that my room would have one of those old school nasty comforters on the bed, but no. They have updated to duvet covers. whew.. The bathroom had pretty sweet pink tile. win.

My only complaint is that the water pressure was low on the 4th floor. But, when you only pay $63 a night, it's fine. Seriously, compared to anything else in the area, this place is a steal.

Bonus: The diet coke machine sells 20oz sodas for only a buck. Yeah, I like that.

I'll be back the next time I'm in the DC area!

Room Tip: The standard rooms are cheaper and I don't see any reason to spend extra for the deluxe rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Plymouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here for five nights with my wife and two young children after a long time spent looking for reasonably priced accommodation in the Dc area. We paid a little extra to be upgraded to a deluxe room and it was ok but nothing too special. The vibe at The Americana is very much a typical motel. Looking around the area, all the rest of the hotels are the typical big box chains so I can see why some people like the more retro feel here. However, I found the staff to be largely indifferent and quite hard to communicate with. The main thing I liked about The Americana was it's location. After a day in dc it was great to hop on the metro for 20 minutes and come back to Arlington and Crystal City with lots of restaurants. The area around the hotel felt safe and friendly which was important to us as a family.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

It's really cheap for Washington and for the price you have free wifi (not a strong signal but when you are in the lobby it's ok), free parking, a free shuttle (We haven't tried) and a little breakfast (if you are a big eater you will no be satisfied with it).
A block away from the metro and from a small food mall.
If you want to have a newly renovated room, take the deluxe queen or king.
I would definitively recommend this hotel for budget travellers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We recently visited the DC area and needed a very reasonable place to stay. It's location was perfect and the neighborhood was family friendly. This hotel could definitely use some updating from the outside. The room we stayed in was clean and the beds were comfortable. The free continental breakfast met our needs and the food was fresh. The staff was ALWAYS friendly and helpful. They displayed great customer service (which in the DC area is hard to find).
The AC worked ok, but after walking all day and four showers later, the AC had a hard time keeping up. The bathroom did not have a fan (did have a small window but we were not comfortable enough to leave it open) so you could see mold on the ceiling. My husband said it looked like they sprayed a mold killer on it, then painted over it. It took in a more pinkish tinge, than green or black.
Overall, it was decent. I would stay here again if there was no mold problem. This is also why I gave them 2 stars for cleanliness.

• Stayed April 2013
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'll start out by saying that this hotel is definitely old, with a capital O. The furniture in the rooms is somewhat shopworn, the elevator and bathrooms seem to have the type of equipment I haven't seen since my elementary school days, and the lobby area kind of reminds me of a 1970s movie set. But all of these things are just observations, not criticisms at ALL. Also, I'm pretty sure the carpeting in the rooms has been replaced before and the chairs reupholostered periodically, and I was no less comfortable there than any other hotel. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat because it was super-clean in every way, the beds were comfortable and did their job, I slept like a log because I couldn't hear any noise at night(at all) and the room did have the modern conveniences of wifi and flat-screen television, both of which worked great! Oh, and the convenience... just a few blocks away from the Metro station and you can get into DC in a matter of minutes! Plus, there are many restaurants and bars are just a few blocks away and if you don't feel comfortable walking out there at night (we were fine with it), they have a shuttle to drive you there. There are numerous takeout and delivery menus on a table in the lobby if you want to order in. All the employees were very nice and helpful, what little help we did need.

This place is strange, but in a good way, it somehow looks out of place with BUT peacefully coexists between all these other modern, towering megahotels that will cost you 2 or 3 times as much to stay in and there are no other places comparable in the area. If you need a place with a swimming pool, exercise facility, full-service restaurant and up-to-date interior decorating, look elsewhere. But if you're just there to sleep, have easy access to DC and enjoy a few creature comforts, I can't imagine any other place offering better value for your money in the area.

One small issue though... the safety chain on our room door was broken and that costs the place a few points in my mind, but if it was a major concern to us (it wasn't because the door lock worked fine) I'm sure the front desk would have moved us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!