“Retrofordable!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Atlanta, Georgia
“Retrofordable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My family and I stayed at the "retro" Americana Hotel during Spring Break of '13. Having researched 100's of hotels in the DC metro area, the price and other reviews helped me decide that this was the place for us. I would not hesitate in staying here again.

The pros:
1. The retro feel of the lobby / rooms is fun.
2. The complimentary shuttle to and from the metro stop or airport is added value.
3. The affordability cannot be beat for the area.
4. Free parking -- a rarity in DC!
5. Close to shopping, metro, and restaurants.
6. While the breakfast was minimal, it was enough to "get you going".

The cons:
1. It was cold in DC, and we could not regulate the heater in the room. You were either baking or freezing. The only way to turn the gas heater off was to unplug it from the wall. We also tried opening the door for short periods of time.
2. The bathroom (while it was decked out in the most awesome yellow tile) was small and without ventilation, so the hot shower created condensation that dripped all over.
3. The one and only ice machine was on the 1st floor. We were on the 4th floor. Eventually, I found it easiest to walk down three flights, press the elevator button, get the ice, and take the elevator back up.

The weird:
After a very full day of driving, checking in, and sightseeing, we collapsed into bed at 11:30pm. At 1:00am, three unkind policemen woke us up banging on our door saying "someone reported that they thought they heard a gun shot and it may have come from this area and that they had to clear the hotel". They made me stand out in the cold in my bed clothes; proceeded to frisk me; woke my children and wife up and interrogated them; interrogated me; then, left as quickly as they came. Here's the strange part: NO ONE at the front desk could explain anything about it or even seemed to care that it happened or care to find out why it happened. It was all very mysterious and confusing, and remains to be.

The wonderful:
After checking out a few hours early to take in some last minute sightseeing, my wife realized that she didn't have her camera battery and that she may have left it plugged into an outlet under a desk in the room. She called the front desk and they said to call back in 10 minutes after they had time to clean the room. When we called back, they said they had not found anything. However, after about 15 more minutes, the Americana Hotel called us back with the good news that it had been found and held it at the front desk until we returned. I thought this was excellent customer service.

If you are in the DC area and are looking for an affordable alternative, check out the Americana Hotel. It may be just what you are looking for.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AmericanaHotel, Owner at Americana Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thanks for much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review! We loved that you called us "retrofordable" and appreciated our retro feel, free shuttle/parking/breakfast, convenient location, and overall great value. We do our best to provide clean, comfortable, affordable, conveniently located, and friendly accommodations and are glad to hear we lived up to it with you and your family. We're also glad we were able to return your camera battery to you!

Regarding the cons, we completely agree with you that we could use a little updating to the HVAC systems in some of our rooms, a more private ventilation method in the bathroom, and some more ice machines, and we are working hard every day to continue making improvements that will provide our guests with an even better experience. As to the weird experience you had, it was very strange for us too. They did not inform anyone at the hotel of their presence nor did they provide any information to us after assessing the situation. We learned through follow-up, however, that the disturbance was for what has been determined as likely just a car backfiring. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and really appreciate you still giving us positive feedback and a good rating despite what we know was a pretty terrible first night experience.

Thank you again for staying with us and recommending us as an affordable hotel in the Washington, D.C. area. We sincerely hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Hebrew first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

If you're the type of person that thinks everything has to be brand new, stay at one of the myriad of chain hotels around DC & Arlington.

But if you want somewhere with a cool throwback, old-school, retro vibe that has some history & character (and also happens to have terrific rates, FREE parking and an amazing location), this is the place for you.

Despite the post-war architecture, everything in the rooms was nicely remodeled & updated and I can't see where you'd have anything to complain about.

My mother-in-law always thinks Old = Bad, this place is the definition of why "Classic" will never go out of style.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
All we can say is...we're glad it was you staying with us and not your mother-in-law! Just kidding! We'd love the chance to win her over too! Really, though we just wanted to let you know how much we appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to write such a nice review. It warms our hearts to know that our guests value our hotel's unique character, great rates, valuable free amenities, and convenient location, and we'll do our best to keep it coming. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in the area!
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just book another stay at the Americana in Arlington VA. We will be staying twice this year. After staying 4 times at 2 different hotels in downtown DC,( one was 1 block from the Vietnam Wall, which is where we spent most of the stay), we decided to try the Americana and found even tho they are further away, the accommodations were just as nice and the price MUCH more reasonable when your traveling on a budget. One BIG plus is the on site FREE parking. We paid over $20 a night to have them take our car and park it "somewhere off site" in DC. At the Americana, you park at the motel and have access to your car 24/7. Since the last time we were there in November, we had packed the car with several different weights of jackets and we are able to stop by the car and pick whatever we wanted to wear without having to transport all the extra baggage into the motel.From all the staff, Including the friendly helpful marketing staff who takes care of their Face Book page, shuttle drivers and housekeeping, all were very courteous and helpful making our decision to return for our 6th stay a no brainier.The Metro is just a few blocks away making the distance from DC seem unimportant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying with us again! We really appreciate your kind words about how we compare to the many more expensive hotels in the area and the convenience of being able to park your car for free so close to your room. We'll also be sure to let everyone on our team know that you valued their friendly service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Peabody, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I just got back from my week long vacation in D.C with my boyfriend as a v-day getaway. All I can say was that I had a great time. I selected this hotel due to a recommendation from a friend, a former D.C. resident. I can see why it was highly recommended. It is about a five minute walk from the metro, a clean, safe place to stay and very easy on the wallet. Not to mention there was free parking, free breakfast and free wifi; this is a big plus since you will not find a cheaper, cleaner hotel with these three things as well.

Hurricane Nemo almost ruined my trip since my area (close to Boston) was hit pretty bad. Initially, we were due to leave that Saturday, which we later learned would be the start of the snow. We decided to leave a day early and could not find a hotel in between home and D.C. (to cut our 8-9 hour trip driving time in half) with nearly the same value. At last minute we selected a 4 star hotel (over 100+ for one night) and all I can say was this place was dirty. My point being, I would much rather pay to stay at the Americana any day. Many places in this area charge for parking and wifi, and are more expensive the closer they are to D.C.

For those who love a good deal, I booked this hotel on the website and saved. Right now they are having a promotion where if you pay for six nights, your seventh (consecutive night) is free. This made planning simpler, when initially I was only able to afford around 5 nights anywhere else. We even sprang for the king bed; it was promoted at a discounted rate, why not? The bed was comfy and room was fine for the short time we spent in it. We were so tired every night from sightseeing and always got up fairly early. During our stay we did not need the services of the shuttle since we drove so I can't comment about that. I had no problem with outside noise and I barely heard any other guests during the night. (with the exception of some party-goers on my last night) I think the only negative thing I can say about this place was that since it was a little on the older side, sometimes the elevators were wonky. But this wasn't an issue since the next elevator was not far away.

Overall, I dare you to find something more affordable, and convenient. Just as another reviewer said, if you're too picky or looking for something overly fancy, don't bother with this place. To be perfectly honest it's simple but perfect for my boyfriend and I. I'd love to stay there again on my next trip to D.C.!

Room Tip: Look on the website for deals, and there is no need to book too early like other places.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AmericanaHotel, Owner at Americana Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us! We wish we knew who your friend was so we could thank them for referring you to us, and can we just say what a SUPER NICE review you wrote? We might have to put you in our marketing department, LOL :-)

Anyway, we're really glad to hear you enjoyed our clean rooms, convenient location, and great overall value, and appreciate you mentioning some of the cool perks we offer like free wi-fi and parking. We know we might not be the absolute most romantic hotel in the area, but we sure are glad that you and your boyfriend had a nice time sightseeing around Washington, D.C. and are happy to hear we played a small part in helping you make some awesome memories to cherish always.

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you the next time you're in the area!
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been staying at the Americana for about 8 years now each time I visit DC. It is close to DC by car or a couple of blocks from the Metro. The staff has always been very helpful and courteous on the phone and during my stay. During a recent stay in January of 2013 Quentin was working the desk and was very helpful and courteous. With it's convenience, free parking, free internet, continental breakfast and free shuttle service it is a value that cannot be beat. All this year standard rooms are $63 a night celebrating their 50 years in business opening in 1963. I hope it stays in business a long time and is not eaten up by all the larger chains. I love to support small businesses. I will be returning there in March and always recommend it to friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for staying with us all these years and taking the time to write a review! We're glad to hear you appreciated our convenient location, helpful staff, free amenities, and great rates. Thanks also for giving our 50th Anniversary Special a shout-out and for supporting small businesses--we really appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Alliance, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Americana in late July last year for 3 nights. We arrived very early and I just wanted to check in and park, so we could take the subway into DC to do some sight seeing, figuring that our room would not be ready yet. When we went into the hotel to check in we were given our key to our room and allowed to go up early! The shuddle service was awesome, they even picked us up from the subway stop when my daughter had fallen asleep so I did not have to carry her back to the hotel. The staff was great with my daughter answering all of her questions and giving her some DC history!! We are planning to come back in June of this year for a week with my parents! Can't wait to stay at the Americana again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
AmericanaHotel, Owner at Americana Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a nice review! Providing a clean, comfortable room and friendly, personal service to guests like you and your daughter are the most important things to us, and we'll be sure to let our entire team know you thought we met the mark. We hope you (and lots of your family!) will be able to come visit us again soon and if you need anything at all, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been staying at the Americana regularly for years, and I love it. If you want the luxury of a full-service $300-400/night hotel, don't stay here. If you are looking for a clean and convenient place to stay, with a free breakfast and free WiFi, you can not do better. For twice the price. The Americana is an affordable option in an area where there are no others. I have stayed at the Crystal City Marriott and Sheraton, and neither is worth paying 3x what you would pay at the Americana.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review and for all the kind words! We really appreciate guests like you who stay with us year after year and become part of the Americana family; we're not exaggerating when we say we wouldn't be here without you. If there's ever anything we can do to make your stays better, please don't hesitate to ask. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in the D.C. area!

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!