There are several key benefits to this hotel
1. very good room price for this location
2. excellent location for visiting Wash DC and surrounding areas
3. 10 min walk to underground mall
4. huge mall about 3/4 mile away
5. subway is a 10 minute walk
6. free parking
7. free shuttle to help getting around
8. beds were clean and comfortable
9. bathroom was very clean
10. soda machine very convenient and only $1 per bottle
11. contintental breakfast is as advertised, doughnuts are really good
12. the other customers at this hotel were nice. (sometimes cheap rooms attract undesireable people).
13. staff was helpful
14. small refrigerator in the room was helpful
These things are very complelling if you are on a budget, however, there's a downside to this hotel.
1. the Hotel itself looks very "run down". This image is amplified by the fact that it was built below street level in what looks like a bomb crater. The surrounding buildings and hotels are really nice. As you approach the hotel from the street, you go thru a parking lot that is uneven and has several pot holes further adding to the "charm". The outside of the hotel looks like it has not been improved in a LONG time. My wife gave me the evil eye when we arrived.
2. the hotel lobby is ok, but the room looks and feels "old".
3. When we got to our room, several things were wrong, which I'm sure would never happen at the Marriot. Our room was very cold. I turned up the thermostat, no luck. I called the front desk, they said "turn up the thermostat". They send up a repair man. My wife gives me the evil eye. The repair man unplugs the electrical cord for the wall A/C and plugs in the electricity for the wall heating unit (this is strange to me). problem solved. The room itself is dark cuz there's only 3 lights (other than the bathroom light) and we notice that one of the lights isn't working. Next, I notice that the corner wall next to the window has some black stuff on it, like streaks caused by charcoal rubbed against it, or crayons. (since this is clearly visible, a 10 minute paint touchup would have made the wall look nice again).
3. Bathroom is REALLY small.
4. Toilet seat is so loose, it easily slides with the touch of a finger. again, I get the evil eye. I investigate and tighten the plastic attaching screws. this does solve the problem. but happens again during our 5-day stay.
5. TV is small and old and reception on some channels is snowy, again, adding to the ambiance.
6. I have no proof that the carpets in the room were not clean, but with the carelessness of the other problems, I had my doubts.
7. Eating doughnuts every morning is not healthy.
Would I recommend this place? yes, but only if you're on a budget and you're willing to accept some lower standards (and you're willing to put up with the "evil eye" from your wife)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Americana Hotel is ideally situated in a neighborhood in Arlington, Virginia called Crystal City across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. Since 1963, our family-owned-and-operated hotel near Washington D.C. has never wavered from its commitment to complete guest satisfaction with every stay. Business and leisure travelers alike are sure to appreciate our comfortable Arlington hotel accommodations and well-appointed Crystal City hotel amenities that include free shuttle service and a complimentary continental breakfast. We are only 1 mile from the Nation’s capital and within walking distance of two Metro stops. Please call us today and let us help you plan your next trip to Washington, DC! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and EasyToBook so you can book your Americana Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Americana Hotel Arlington
- Americana Arlington