“Very good if you're on a budget” 4 of 5 stars

Americana Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Los Angeles, Ca
“Very good if you're on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

There are several key benefits to this hotel
1. very good room price for this location
8. beds were clean and comfortable
9. bathroom was very clean
10. soda machine very convenient and only $1 per bottle
11. contintental breakfast is as advertised, doughnuts are really good
12. the other customers at this hotel were nice. (sometimes cheap rooms attract undesireable people).
13. staff was helpful
14. small refrigerator in the room was helpful

These things are very complelling if you are on a budget, however, there's a downside to this hotel.

1. the Hotel itself looks very "run down". This image is amplified by the fact that it was built below street level in what looks like a bomb crater. The surrounding buildings and hotels are really nice. As you approach the hotel from the street, you go thru a parking lot that is uneven and has several pot holes further adding to the "charm". The outside of the hotel looks like it has not been improved in a LONG time. My wife gave me the evil eye when we arrived.
2. the hotel lobby is ok, but the room looks and feels "old".
3. When we got to our room, several things were wrong, which I'm sure would never happen at the Marriot. Our room was very cold. I turned up the thermostat, no luck. I called the front desk, they said "turn up the thermostat". They send up a repair man. My wife gives me the evil eye. The repair man unplugs the electrical cord for the wall A/C and plugs in the electricity for the wall heating unit (this is strange to me). problem solved. The room itself is dark cuz there's only 3 lights (other than the bathroom light) and we notice that one of the lights isn't working. Next, I notice that the corner wall next to the window has some black stuff on it, like streaks caused by charcoal rubbed against it, or crayons. (since this is clearly visible, a 10 minute paint touchup would have made the wall look nice again).
3. Bathroom is REALLY small.
4. Toilet seat is so loose, it easily slides with the touch of a finger. again, I get the evil eye. I investigate and tighten the plastic attaching screws. this does solve the problem. but happens again during our 5-day stay.
5. TV is small and old and reception on some channels is snowy, again, adding to the ambiance.
6. I have no proof that the carpets in the room were not clean, but with the carelessness of the other problems, I had my doubts.
7. Eating doughnuts every morning is not healthy.

Would I recommend this place? yes, but only if you're on a budget and you're willing to accept some lower standards (and you're willing to put up with the "evil eye" from your wife)

Room Tip: our room was over the lobby and suffered from a LOT of road noise. Most of the rooms are NOT over t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I loved my stay here. Clean, well-kept room, friendly staff, great a/c, blocks from everything in Washington. And great, well-stocked breakfast bar!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

This hotel is something out of the 1950's. The good things are location - easy walk to the metro, free ride to the metro if you don't want to walk and friendly desk workers. The not so good are uncomfortable bed with lumpy tiny pillows, no fitted bottoms sheets. I woke several times to find the sheets all over the bed. The sliding door was bolted closed and so foggy we were unable to see out. There is no vanity in the pink and grey bathroom or anywhere to put comestics. The shower goes from hot to cold depending on the other rooms. One of the two elevators didn't work and the parking lot is filled with potholes. Although the price is good I would look elsewhere...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I would warmly recommend Americana Hotel in Arlington, VA with its kind of "cool" atmosphere of a motel from 70ties. Perfect location for unbelievable rate, old fashioned but perfectly working air conditioning in the rooms, the breakfast always fresh and available early in the morning, the lobby and room always well cleaned, and classic and nice room decoration (stayed once at Ritz almost across the street and my room had exactly the same furniture!). Laundry room at your disposal! How not to mention the kind service of the drivers (they will drop you at the metro stop, Ronald Regan National airport, or even... at the church!); the reassuring presence of security guard at night, and, of course, the very kind and professional attitude of the day and night teams. Adding the thrill of being in a hotel where a movie took place ("State of Play", with Russel Crowe and Ben Afleck), Americana Hotel IS a very special place, with heart and soul.

Room Tip: ask the hotel team how they can help you.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Guam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel from 9/24 to 9/29, in Room No. 423. When i checked in I found out that the aircon was not working. I reported it to the front desk clerk on the same day, Saturday, 9/24. For three consecutive days I reported the problem but no one came to fix the aircon nor was there a sense of caring. On the second day, I sent an email to the owner of Source International who booked me at this hotel about this problem. Then on Tuesday, 9/27, the aircon was finally fix/replaced. For three consecutive nights I slept in a warm and stuffy room in this freaking hotel. I guess the saying, "You get what you pay for," is true here since the hotel is cheap. I would neither go back nor recommend it to any of my friends. I was even planning to book the students I will be brining next year to this hotel, but that is not going to happen.

Room Tip: Check to make sure aircon is working
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed here thanks to a Washington DC forum suggestion - otherwise I doubt we would have found the Americana ourselves. Yes this is an older style motel property with dated decor, but it was very clean and our queen room was one of the biggest hotel rooms we had during our two week east coast stay. The aircon was noisy and the sliding patio doors were fixed shut, but this didn't spoil things for us. The cold continental buffet breakfast did not offer a great choice, but was perfectly adequate and is included in the room rate. The staff were really helpful, from letting us print our boarding cards for forthcoming flights to ensuring we got the hotel shuttle service to the airport in good time. The Crystal City metro station is a short walk away. Although we always felt safe around the Americana, what we saw of Crystal City was rather soulless with lots of large apartment buildings; some of this is down to the shops being contained in an indoor mall adjoining the metro station rather than street front shops you walk past.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Property is very dated, but everything looked clean. There is a breakfast of sorts provided - didn't really stop by to look. The room was very basic, looking more like a dated studio apartment than a hotel room (the TV, mini fridge, hair dryer, AC, bathtub are all "civilian" rather than "hotel issue").
The hotel has a pretty ridiculous cancellation policy (3 days) -- this was the only place available when I was booking my trip, but when the Sheraton opened up additional rooms 2 days before my trip, I could no longer cancel so had to stay at Americana.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!