“Best place in Arlington for a short-term stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AKA Virginia Square

You added AKA Virginia Square to your Saves list
AKA Virginia Square
3409 Wilson Boulevard, Virginia Square, Arlington, VA 22201 (Formerly Hotel AKA)   |
Arlington, Virginia
“Best place in Arlington for a short-term stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I work for the federal government, and we recently stayed at AKA Virginia Square for four months after returning to the area from various overseas assignments. I can't say enough good things about the staff. They really go out of their way to make you feel at home. They learned all of our names (including kid and dog) and took every opportunity to ask us how we were doing, if we needed anything, etc. Guests actually enjoy hanging out and chatting at the front desk because the staff, to a person, takes a genuine personal interest in each guest. They really do treat you like friends and family. We didn't really have any issues, but if we ever needed anything (e.g., a lamp or blender), our request was handled immediately, cheerfully, and without question. I don't think I've ever experienced a place where every single person was so nice and helpful, so the company either got extremely lucky or the management really knows what they're doing. I wish I could remember everyone by name, but Nafeesa, Sufian, Sabena, Rosemary and the whole crew are just wonderful. Also, Eric, the maintenance manager, and his team are extremely responsive and knowledgeable. The facilities are clean, spacious, and modern and have everything you need for a short-term stay. Beds are very comfortable, and the linens are good quality (Frette). Our unit even had two large balconies (although the view of a major construction project next door wasn't great). Housekeeping comes once a week, and the staff are courteous, unobtrusive and flexible if you need to reschedule. Breakfast during the week is included - yogurt, pastries, coffee, juice. Underground parking is convenient and plentiful. The gym is small but has all the basics (treadmills, ellipticals, bike, weight machines). The location can't be beat - a few minutes walk to either Virginia Square or Clarendon metro stations, and tons of restaurants, bars, stores, etc. within walking distance. There was a little bit of road noise that could be disturbing if you're a light sleeper or late riser, but it wasn't enough to request a room change. The lighting in our living room could have been better, but they did give us a floor lamp. All in all, we enjoyed our stay immensely. In the midst of a difficult transition with school and job changes and a house renovation, we really came to appreciate the "little" things people do to make your life easier - a friendly hello, a pet of the dog, a "yes" attitude. You might find other hotels/apartments in the area with the same amenities, but I guarantee you won't find better staff. Thanks AKA!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Wilson Blvd have some street noise (cars and late-night revelers from Marios acros...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
akaVASquare, General Manager at AKA Virginia Square, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
On behalf of AKA Virginia Square, thank you so much for taking time and sharing your experience at our residence. We are sincerely appreciative of your acknowledgements and have shared this review within our organization. Thank you again, and we hope that you return to AKA Virginia Square in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Full disclosure, I'm a federal worker who used to travel to the DC area often for work related reasons. Since I am not travelling as much, I feel comfortable putting the word out on AKA Virginia Square. The staff is extremely friendly and go out of their way to ensure you are comfortable. I am a pretty self sufficient traveller, so I do not look to be pampered when I travel for business and since AKA is an extended stay hotel you get what amounts to an apartment. I love the layout with the floor to ceiling windows and exposed ducts. Each room comes with its own washer/dryer and separate water heater. I stayed for a month last year. My fiance would come down on weekends so we could spend time together. She fell in love with the room and felt that she would never look at our apartment the same. They have basement parking and are located walking distance from the Metro. The only suggestions I can give is to improve on its feeble gym and offer shuttle service to the surrounding areas that are outside of walking distance such as the mall and the Foreign Service Institute, given how many Federal employees use the facility. These are minor inconveniences compared to the quality of the rooms and staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
akaVASquare, General Manager at AKA Virginia Square, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your review Sabastian67! At AKA Virginia Square, we take great pride with servicing our residents and delighted you had such a positive experience. I think offering a shuttle will be a fantastic option and we will consider this for the future. Nevertheless, we have wonderful relationships with nearby car rental companies that will deliver and pick up your vehicle at the property for your convenience.

Thank you again and we hope you return to AKA Virginia Square soon!
Mountain View, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Some dissertation research necessitated that I be in Arlington for longer than 10 days, so I decided to book a 12-day stay at AKA Virginia Square based upon fellow TripAdvisor reviews of this property. AKA Virginia Square was perfect for what I needed to accomplish during the trip, as I basically needed to be anti-social and focus on research and writing.

Resources for which I was most appreciative: a professional and friendly staff (24/7; special shout outs to Sabina, Nafeesa, Sufian, and Latifa); free wi-fi; in-room kitchenette which allowed me to cook my own meals and accommodate my dietary restrictions (no gluten); in-room laundry facilities; walking distance to the Virginia Square Metro when I needed to get into DC (quick trip of 20 minutes); short walking distance to Clarendon Square (e.g., CVS Pharmacy; Trader Joe's) and to Northside Social Coffeehouse (great coffee and gluten-free baked goods along with areas to work downstairs and upstairs); meeting rooms at the top floor along with a business center for printing out any needed documents during your stay.

My only disappointment is that there is not an AKA in Boston (where I need to do the next part of my dissertation research)!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review Mimi Y! We appreciate you taking time to share your experience at AKA Virginia Square. AKA has opened two new properties this year at Beverly Hills and London; therefore, Boston can be a possibility in the near future! Thank you again for your time and hope you return soon.
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at the AKA Arlington for 3 weeks. This place is amazing, clean, close to DC and the staff was excellent. The accommodations were so great i had to have my wife and son come down to enjoy it with me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We are appreciative of your review for AKA Virginia Square and pleased to hear your family was able to join you! Please consider us again if you return to the DC area!
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the AKA Virginia Square on our annual trip to DC in March. It was fabulous. The two bedroom suite was beautiful and the staff was wonderful. Sabina, in particular, was very friendly and made us feel very at home. The hotel was in a perfect location, within walking distance of our primary destination and even closer to the metro. We will definitely return next year!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I enjoyed staying at the AKA Virginia square, it was clean and the staff were generally friendly, although there was a few instances when the front desk staff were a little snippy with friends that I had come visit (although they were never rude to me) I did have some complaints from a couple of my visitors. Other than that, the rooms are beautiful, clean and I enjoyed my stay. FYI there is also an AMAZING chicken place El Polo Rico just behind the apartment, which was great when I didnt feel like cooking.

Room Tip: The two bedrooms are the best especially rooms that have more windows for light.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review LaniS! On behalf of AKA Virginia Square, we appreciate your encouraging words and acknowledgements. Also, our sincerest apologies about your visitors, this not consistant of our expectations. Your feedback is paramount and to strive for excellence!
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was thoroughly impressed this hotel/apartment and the high level of service they provide. Nafeesa Saafir went above and beyond on a daily basis to make sure I felt welcome, as well as my guests. I felt like I was at home. Once I finally found a permanent place to live, I was sad to leave AKA. They had become my family. So glad there is a place in town I can refer all my friends!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to AKA Virginia Square? Share your experiences!