“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 47 hotels in Arlington
New Jersey
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights here. This was our second time staying here. It is literally right on top of the metro. The location is terrific. There is an underground mall under this hotel which is where you find the metro as well as several choices of places to eat. Our room was clean, beds were comfy. We did not try the restaurant but did get a room service b'fast one morning which was pricey and not that tasty. The pool was chilly but my kids liked it well enough. All the hotel staff we encountered were friendly. Tip - call the hotel before you arrive to get the Bell Street address for your GPS, it's hard to get there using the Jefferson Hwy address.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
JT M, Manager at Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for returning to stay at our hotel again and I am so happy you are able to take advantage of our great location. And the GPS tip is great....the buiding across the street from our main entrance is 1901 South Bell Street in Arlington, VA.

482 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had originally booked two nights at this hotel, but was forced to cancel the second night due to some very frightening occurrences.

When I arrived at the hotel with my family, I entered the room to find that the pull-out bed was not made. We were forced to call the front desk which sent us two top sheets. We called back down again for them to send us a comforter. When the staff returned with our linens they did not offer to help make the bed, but stood in the doorway waiting for a tip. Additionally, my family and I had a very difficult time sleeping due to the amount of dust we found covering the surfaces of the room. We were up all night with stuffy noses and coughs due to our allergies. Despite these two problems we experienced with the hotel, I was willing to rate this trip as a rather average experience.

The following morning I woke up and went to breakfast with my family at the hotel restaurant. When I returned to the room I noticed that a fire truck had pulled up in front of the hotel and there was a crowd of people being evacuated from the building. I looked at the fire safety placard on the back of the door. The placard stated that we should call the operator in case of a potential fire hazard. I tried to call the operator 4 times, and received no response. The fire alarm was not going off on our floor (the 9th floor). But after seeing that other floors were being evacuated I decided it was safest to leave the building. I was forced to quickly grab my items, get my daughter out of the shower, and run out into the hallway. I ran into a cleaning lady who did not speak English, but was yelling "Fuego" and running towards the stairs (We later discovered that there was a small fire in the kitchen). We ran down to the lobby from the ninth floor and waited across the street where we joined a number of other families. The majority of these families had small children who were dripping wet after being evacuated from the pool area. The children were wrapped in sheets the hotel staff was able to grab on the way out. When we were able to return inside I questioned hotel staff as to why the fire alarms did not go off on our level. They directed me to the manager, Eddie Perez, (who I later discovered was the manager of house keeping). He stated that it was their hotel's procedure to only set off the alarm one level above and one level below the area of the fire. Then I asked why this was the procedure, especially if we were located above the level of the fire and there would have been no other way to evacuate the building other than the lobby. He shrugged his shoulders and said that this was the hotel policy and there was nothing he could do about it. I returned back to my room, packed my items, and came back down to the front desk to check out. Deborah was the hotel employee who helped us cancel our reservations for the following night. She was absolutely wonderful! She listened to our concerns and was incredibly sympathetic. She was definitely the best employee I interacted with during my short stay at the Marriot. I did ask Deborah if I could speak to the hotel manager, but she said that the manager was not returning until the following day.

Living in a post 9/11 era I am absolutely appalled that companies continue to neglect to follow proper evacuation procedures. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone due to the fact that there are some major safety concerns, and there is a lack of front-end managers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
JT M, Manager at Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Having read your comments I am very sorry for what happened. I too travel and know how concerning it is to have an emergency when in unfamiliar locations. Please know however that we understand and focus on the safety and security of all of our guests and have systems, policies and processes that are regularly reviewed and inspected both by Marriott and our local jurisdiction's emergency services. In addition, security practices and emergency procedures are adjusted to local conditions in which any given property operates and we work very closely with local, state and federal authorities to ensure that the safety of our guests and associates is our top priority.

With regard to this hotel and fire alarms, we follow Arlington County Fire Code which dictates how our system responds based on the activation. For example, County code dictates that depending on the nature of the activation, alarms sound only on designated floors as defined by the standards.

In addition, I would like to assure you that there was no fire at all which is why only certain floors received the alarm per County code. Had there been an actual fire or an activation of our alarm system by multiple or different devices, the entire hotel would have been sent into alarm and evacuated.

Finally, please know that we do take this and situations like this very seriously and work very closely with our responding agencies to constantly strive to improve how they are handled.

Again, I am very sorry for what happened and I do appreciate how concerned you were with what happened. I have also met personally with our hotel's leaders to make sure we continue to discuss and train on our emergency procedures as our guest's rely on us in those very rare situations.
Joliet
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Crystal City Marriott is my preferred location when traveling in DC. It is one Metro station away from Reagan national Airport, so access is always quick and easy. Connecting to metro is quite easy, as you just take the hotel elevator to the underground mall..and walk to the station. never any weather issues. The hotel has on site pool, gym, restaurant, etc as one would expect and Marriott beds & bedding always seem so comfy. There are also numerous dining options located near the hotel. But again, in DC...if you are staying near a Metro station is a must. Staying immediately near one that serves both Yellow and Blue lines, makes this a perfect location, along with a cheaper price point as well, as it is located in Arlington, rather than DC itself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
It is clear you have found some of the reasons that many guests come to stay with us over and over again. The service, the pool, the gym and our restaurant are all important aspects we deliver on but our accesability to the METRO and D.C. is second to none. Being able to get from the hotel to key places in D.C. without even going out in the elements is a great feature of us being physicallty connected to the METRO via the Crystal City Underground.

Thank you so much for having chosen to stay with us and I hope we will be able to host you again the next time you are in the area.
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stay at this hotel during a recent business trip. The Hotel was very clean, the rooms were great. The staff was amazing. This was my first time to the DC area and I really enjoyed the stay. The shuttle took me back and forth to the conference I attended. The staff was exceptional, they even left me a birthday card under the door. I interacted with staff member Seydi the most, she was awesome. the staff was very nice and accommodating. What a great experience to have on my first visit to the area. Definitely will stay here again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and very thankful that you will be staying with us again the next time you are in the D.C. area.
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed for four nights and I must say it is really a great hotel. The staff across the board are wonderful. In particular the Bell20 bar was great for us. Most evenings we would hang out there watching games and talking, and the bartenders were great. We also very much enjoyed the food. Breakfast was great in the morning and the breakfast staff were fantastic. The rooms were very spacious and clean. Also, we absolutely loved the beds and pillows. Best I have seen at a Marriott property. As for location, it's pretty great. It's above the Crystal City Shops and the Metro, so you don't even have to go outside if it's bad weather to go shopping or hit the Metro to go anywhere in DC. We did a lot of city traveling, so that was perfect. We really enjoyed this hotel and intend to return when we get back to the DC area. Perfect location, great service, can't be beat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
JT M, Manager at Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
After reading your kind words in your reveiw about our hotel, our service, our location and even our beds; all I can say is "thank you". What a pleasure it is to hear about your wonderful stay as what you experienced is exactly what we strive for with all of our guests.

We will certainly look forward to your return on your next visit.
North Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Came here on a business trip to the Pentagon. The hotel itself is clean with a nice lobby and helpful staff. It's a nice room but nothing luxurious or stand-out. There are a group of hotels in Crystal City surrounded by apartment buildings for government employees and contractors within easy reach of the Pentagon and the National Mall.

The central location is the best part of this hotel. You can get to the Metro from the basement floor. It's connected by a walkway to the Metro and the Crystal City shops (also underground) with a good selection of food. It's only a stop on the Metro to Reagan National though the courtesy van is more convenient if you have luggage. It's a couple Metro stops from Old Town Alexandria to the south and two stops from the Pentagon. Another 10 mins and you're at the Capitol.

Crystal City is also very walkable. I found a farmer's market behind the hotel and there's a park with a water feature for kids. Just for fun, I walked from the Pentagon to Pentagon City and back to the hotel for a total of no more than 2 miles. There's a rental bike service that my friend showed me but I didn't try that out this time.

The only big negative was the price. Staying a little farther out of town gets a much better price as you're paying for convenience and, more likely, the plethora of customers paying the ridiculously high government per diem rates. Don't know if I'd stay here on my own dime.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am so thankful not only that you stayed with us but also that you were able to go out and explore our area a bit. Yes, our location with the variety of restaurants, proximity to the Pentagon, connectin to the METRO and the Crystal City Underground all help make this a great place to stay. In addition, I see you found our seasonal farmer's market which a number of our guests enjoy when it is happening.

Also, if you do fnd yourself in our area again over a weekend or holiday, you can often get some very good rates, including somet that include breakfast at this hotel so I would encourage you to look at what specials may be running.

Thank you again and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
SW Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Very nice hotel. Staff went out of their way to be friendly, professional and courteous. There is a metro stop that connects thru the underground mall, or a courtesy shuttle to the airport which is only a couple minutes away.
the breakfast buffet in the restaurant is excellent, freshest fruit, salmon, omelets to order, and service very good.
we stayed on award credits so I cannot speak to the cost but everything else was great.

Room Tip: turn the fan down to low, it can be a bit noisy, and expect a very soft bed