“Great location for Metro access with limited mobility traveler!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25% off
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Woodstock, Illinois
“Great location for Metro access with limited mobility traveler!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were traveling to D.C. with my 81-year-old father-in-law who has limited mobility. Crystal City Marriott is a great location if you don't want to stay in the city, but are planning to take the Metro (subway) to see all the sights. The Marriott has a free shuttle from Ronald Reagan National Airport, which is less than a 5-minute drive from the Crystal City Marriott. The rooms were extremely large and very typical Marriott rooms, clean and comfortable. The ideal part of this location is that from the hotel's elevator you select "Ground" and this takes you to the Crystal City underground mall area, which gives you direct access to some shops & restaurants, and most importantly the Crystal City Metro stop. There is also another Marriott in Crystal City (the Crystal City Gateway Marriott), which has the same underground access to the Crystal City Metro. We walked to the other Marriott through the underground to be picked up by the Old Towne Trolley's shuttle bus one morning. It is approximately the same distance from the Metro as the airport Marriott, just a little more expensive. The Gateway Marriott seemed like it might be a little newer, but both were typical Marriotts with great locations. One note about the Crystal City underground mall area, this area seemed to be generally for office workers and commuters, some of the restaurants had pretty limited evening hours, closing at 5 or 6 pm.

The Marriott was nice enough to reserve a wheelchair for our stay, but on our first outing to Arlington National Cemetery we realized that the hotel's chair was too heavy. The hotel helped us find a medical supply company in Arlington on our first night and we purchased a foldable "transport" type wheelchair which worked much better for us. My father-in-law can walk, just not for long distances. If you were truly wheelchair-bound, this may not be the hotel for you because there were quite a few sections in the Crystal City Underground mall that have short flights of stairs. My father-in-law was able to stand and walk those sections, then we would push him in the wheelchair. We also pushed him in the wheelchair up to the escalators that go into the Metro, then he would take the escalator down into the Metro while we would just fold up his transport chair and carry it on the escalator. There were elevators from the Crystal City underground down into the subway. The hotel was just 3 Metro stops from Arlington National Cemetery on the Metro Blue line and only about a 15-20 minute trip on the Metro to any of the downtown D.C. Mall area stops. It was only 1 stop from a great mall at Pentagon City, where the entrance to the mall was also directly out of the Metro. Everyone at the Crystal City Marriott was extremely helpful and this is a great location for staying outside D.C. but still having quick access to the city.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor and the hotel was surprisingly quiet for being so close to Ronald Reagan...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Pros: The front desk staff were friendly, helpful and had great attitudes. They even let me check in early. Another nice thing was the checkout wasn't until 1:00pm.

Cons: room was pretty dirty. Sheets on 1 bed did not appear to have been washed, stained carpet, and the shower head was so low that anyone over 5'7 would be too tall. Also, I bought 2 pops and a snack size bag of chips in the gift shop and it cost $12.

• Stayed June 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here two nights for a conference. Overall I had a very nice stay, but it wasn't perfect.
Pros -
Everyone working there was very cordial and competent, especially at the front desk. I especially appreciated that I was able to check-in early after having taken a very early morning flight. Also, the Metro stop is extremely convenient and there were several good restaurants in the area. The food at the hotel (served at the conference) was very good.
Cons - several of us commenting that are rooms were incredibly humid. I struggled sleeping one night because of it. Also, the bathrooms are a bit small. There was no space between the toilet and shower in my room. Given the room was a very good size, I expected the same with the bathroom. My most important complaint is the following: I left my luggage with the bell stand the last day of travel because my flight was several hours after check-out. When I came back my suitcase was just sitting out in the lobby and no one was watching it. In fact, I grabbed my luggage and went and found the bellman to let him know I took it. Anyone could have walked off with my luggage. Beware when taking advantage of the luggage storage.
All that being said, I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My first time in DC was made special by Abbey, Deborah and Michael who went out of their way to make us comfortable. The hotel's proximity to downtown DC and all the sites - plus being 5 minutes from the airport for our 6am (ugh!) flight - made it a great choice. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
JT M, Manager at Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience and especially for recognizing three of our hard working associates. All of us here at the Crystal City Marriott strive to provide a wonderful experience for all of our guests and I was certainly not suprised to see Deborah, Mike and Abbey's names pop up as having done just that.

We will certainly be sharing your comments with them so that they may directly see how they were able to impact your stay.

And yes, 5 mins from the airport for those 6am flights is key!

Thank you again.
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

we stayed here after 3 weeks in Europe and were so pleasantly surprised at the very professional and friendly staff we encountered. Starting with Deborah Norbert-Guzman at the front desk who was always willing to help & beyond. Then Michael Belous was professional, friendly & attentative. Last and certainly not least Abbey, who tends the bar. Always greeting us each afternoon with her beautiful smile & personality & delighted to see us. Our room was very comfortable (great bedding) and overall experience was exceptional. I just cannot say enough. Being active travelers this was just about the best overall accommodation experience we have encountered. Thank you all and hope to see you again someday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for having stayed with us and also for taking the time to recognize some of our team. Deborah, Michael and Abbey are all wonderful to work with and I have to tell you that the kindness you received is not just them at work, that is who they truly are.

And yes, we too hope we have the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the future!
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed in the Marriott Crystal City for 2 nights at the beginning of May. The hotel was fairly full due to a conference, but you would not think it. The welcome at reception and check in was prompt and courteous - they opened a new desk and greeted with a smile which is often rare!
my room was lovely - it was clean and spacious and the bathroom was spotless.
I at in the hotel on both nights. The first night I ate in the bar and was greeted pleasantly and I was served promptly. I elected to eat at the bar and the food was smashing. I was rather overwhelmed at the portion size (huge!) but the food was very tasty and with free top-ups of my soda, I was most comfortable : )
The 2nd night, I ate in the restaurant. The food was delicious and again the portions rather large! It was a much more formal environment, but it was still comfortable. the staff were attentive without being overbearing so this was good.
The hotel was located really well. I came off the tube and it was easily spotted and a quick 2 minute walk brought me to the front door. The hotel also had a direct tunnel linking it to the Crystal City shopping mall which was great.
the only thing I didn't test was the leisure centre and pool. Given the standards of the rest of the property, I can only hope this is of the same standard though I cannot say myself.
Well done!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
JT M, Manager at Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for having shosen to stay with us and also for taking the time to share your comments.

I am so happy that you were able to dine in our BELL20 both at the bar and in the restaurant and I will be sharing your wonderful comments about the food and the service with our Executive Chef and Senior F&B Operations Manager. This way they can also share your comments with our associates so they can hear about your great stay.

I do hope you will return to stay with us in the future and thank you again.
knoxville,tn.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

first of all.your greeting is great. the room was nice. everyone staying is a patriot or vet. you fell like you have been friends with everyone forever,even though you just meet.d.c. memorial weekend makes you very happy to be an american and a vietnam vet!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with and thank you for your service.

It is an absolute pleasure to be able to have so many veterans with us over such a special holiday.

Please come see us again.

Been to Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport? Share your experiences!