“Short Stay, But Pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Columbia, South Carolina
“Short Stay, But Pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here on a Saturday night and must say that the hotel was very busy, but I love busy hotels. The front desk associate was very nice. The room was LARGE and clean. The bathroom was a little on the small side. Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
JT M, Manager at Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your short stay and I hope you will choose our hotel again the next time you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I visited DC again for the Cherry Blossom Festival, and stayed at this property because the price was great, and I had a good stay last September. Service was great like last time. The gentleman at the front desk was great and I checked-in and settled very quickly. The room was tidy and clean, so I would say it is well-kept. This time, I stayed on the 10th floor facing the Jefferson Highway, and that was a bad idea. You can hear the traffic outside, because the windows are not double-pane glass. I was surprised! Also, my neighbours were a bit loud the first night and I can hear all the laughs and excitement going on in their room. My stay this time was not as good as last time, but this is still a good hotel. I'm guessing it's the Cherry Blossom parade weekend, hence the larger number of guests. Last time was much quieter, as it was just a regular September weekend.

Room Tip: Do not pick rooms facing the Jefferson highway. Otherwise, the Harleys and loud cars will be your m...
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Super location for Reagan Airport and Metro, easy check-in, kind and friendly bartender, polite front desk staff, decent room, interested lobby design (they seem overly proud of it, though, based on the survey they sent me asking about it). Still, I won't stay here again if I can help it.

Why? Their policy of forcing the guest to pay for an amenity that doesn't work. In this case, the TV. For whatever reason (I suspect it was the fault of the accursed LodgeNet system), the TV and TV remote weren't working. There was no channel guide, the channel and menu buttons didn't work, and the system kept rebooting. The front desk offered to send somebody up to look at it. I said no, don't bother. They offered a different room. I was already in bed. Bottom line: They wouldn't make even a modest adjustment to the room rate, even when I talked with a manager the next day. The front desk person indicated she was sorry I wasn't helping solve the problem. No, you should be sorry the television didn't work in the first place.

The next morning on my way out, when I explained the principles behind my complaint (If you offer something and don't deliver it, you aren't holding up your end of the bargain and the terms must be adjusted accordingly--plus it's good business to treat customers well), I was rewarded with an appearance by a security guard, who pointedly leaned into the conversation. The manager offered me 500 Marriott points for the inconvenience.

This is the biggest stonewall by management that I've experienced in my last 200 or so hotel stays. Luckily the great majority of those stays have been fine. My goal is always to have an uneventful stay, but I believe that if something preventable goes wrong, it's up to the hotel to compensate the guest--for any inconvenience or injury, and for providing feedback on the problem. This hotel has chosen to play hardball with guests instead of accommodating them. Fine. TripAdvisor is one way of offering public feedback.

My recommendation: Don't bother appealing to management here. They will stonewall you, and if that fails, they will try to intimidate you. I only regret that I didn't report the incident to Marriott customer relations. Also, there are plenty of other hotels in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Please let me apologize to you not only for the TV not working but for how it was clearly mishandled by our team. I too travel and understand that when things go wrong they need to be addressed and often how it is handled can be the difference in the entire experience.

You should know I personally read your comment to all of my operational managers in a meeting and it has since been shared with those departments that were involved as it is a good platform for direct in-service training.

Clearly it is my desire that the TV worked properly in the first place but as problems do happen, it is crucial that they are resolved to the guest's satisfaction. For that, I am truly sorry and embarassed by how your situation was handled.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and please know we are using them to improve the experience for all of our guests.
Palmetto, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We requested a larger king with roll-a-way. When we checked in we were told they had given us a junior suite, nice. We go to room, roll-a-way in the room ready to go. I had also requested foam and feather pillows, again just as requested. Recently updated rooms are nicely done, rooms are quiet and spacious. Staff very nice and very helpful. Free shuttle to airport. Metro one block away and connects to hotel, which is nice for inclement weather. Plenty of good restaurants in the immediate area with all price points represented. Location is great to visit D.C., Alexandria, Mount Vernon, etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Watertown, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I first reviewed the Crystal City Marriott here after staying at the hotel in April 2012. I said then that I had an all-around great experience and that I would definitely stay at the hotel on my next trip to Washington, D.C. I just returned from another trip and the Crystal City Marriott has retained its charms!

The purpose of this trip, like the one of a year ago, was to visit old friends from my days as a graduate student at American University and to do some sightseeing.

Once again, I took the Metro to the hotel after landing at Reagan National Airport. Someone getting off the Metro at the Crystal City station can access the hotel via a short underground tunnel. That setup is very convenient.

When I checked in, the front-desk staff members were, again, extremely pleasant and helpful.

My room was identical to the one I had last year. It was very spacious, and had a nice bathroom. The king-size bed and the arm chair were especially comfortable. I also appreciated the refrigerator, and the iron and ironing board. The room was very quiet, which also was nice.

This year, I had a chance to make use of the hotel's pool and hot tub. It's nothing fancy, but I got in a good swims and sitting in the hot tub after a long day was very relaxing.

I also had two meals - one dinner and one breakfast - in the hotel's Bell 20 restaurant. On both occasions, the food was tasty and the service was outstanding.

I spent three nights in the hotel, just as I did last year. Also like last year, I had a 1:00 check-out time and a 10:00 (p.m.) flight home, and the front-desk and bell staff were once again very accommodating.

In addition, nightly rates at the Crystal City Marriott remain very reasonable.

In sum, the Crystal City Marriott continues to be a great hotel. (Keep it up!) I don't know when I will next be in D.C., but I do which hotel I will be staying at.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your kind words and for continuing to choose our hotel. Our goal is to provide a wonderful, productive and memorable stay for all of our guests and it was a pleasure to read about your stay with us.

Thank you and we look forward to your return.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Convenient access to Reagan and DC. Access to Metro without going outside was good for kids given cold weather. Heat/air unit was pretty loud and bathroom was very small. Room service was good and priced at Marriott rates. Housekeeping did a good job cleaning and restocking our room daily.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

On 3/27/2013 they rented my room while I was checked in and allowed people to enter my room. I had checked in at 9 pm set up my work computer Ipad etc and went down for dinner. On attempting to pay my check I was very rudely informed that I was not a guest of the hotel. I went up to my room and my key would not allow me entry. I went to the front desk and after waiting 20 minutes was told that a mix up had occurred and that my room had been "double" rented other people had checked into it. The front desk clerk lied to me telling me that the people had not actually gone in the room. The security supervisor countered that claim telling me that he had to actually escort the people out of the rom and they had used the phone and bathroom. My property thankfully looked untouched. The General manager has not returned any phone calls and the front desk clerk who caused all of this then lied to cover it up attempted to charge me for some one elses lunch from the day before. Nice. Awful service, no security, poorly trained employees with terrible attitude and an inattentive GM.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport? Share your experiences!