“Wonderful bakery!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 693 Restaurants in Arlington
Reston, Virginia
“Wonderful bakery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I used to live in the real Heidelberg (in Germany), so I was thrilled to find a bakery with the same name here in Virginia. I live about 20 miles away, but make the trip at least monthly to enjoy some of the tastes of the "old world". I always get a couple of brotchen (rolls). As they don't have preservatives, you should only get what you'll eat in the next couple of hours. They are so much like the rolls I used to enjoy in Germany that it almost makes me tear up. The crust is very flaky and the insides of the rolls are light and airy. The laugen pretzels are also just like we used to have in Germany. They taste quite different from "American" pretzels -- they don't have a buttery taste -- but they are wonderful. The butter cookies are yummy, definitely a sweet way to bring home a little bit of Europe. I also have had the German cold cut sandwich and hard salami sandwich. They were both quite good.

The only thing I've tried at Heidelberg Pastry Shop that I haven't enjoyed is the cake/cupcakes. I wasn't a fan of the texture of either the cake or icing. I did share with some friends, who enjoyed them, but they just weren't to my liking.

They have a few German grocery items -- a nice touch if you are looking for something you can't get elsewhere.

If you are in the Northern Virginia area and want something a little different, Heidelberg Pastry Shop is a worthwhile place to pick up a meal or some treats. It is often crowded, but worth the wait. Parking can be difficult, but you can park on the side street and walk up.

• Visited August 2013

Manassas, Virginia
“Terrific old style, local bakery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I was very anxious to try this bakery when I found it online. We decided to pick up some bread and a quick sandwich and ended up choosing some very delicious pastries and cookies as well. We have to go out of the way to get here, but it's worth every mile.

My wurst was loaded with kraut and the roll was perfect. Very authentic! We found many of the same pastries we have on our trips to Germany. The breads are absolutely outstanding. We sampled the white with pretzel crust and Baltic Rye and they were perfect!

Also available are many different flavors of cookies, marzipan, pastries, deli meats and cheeses as well as a large variety of pies and German specialty desserts.

My daughter had to try a black and white mousse concoction that was full of surprises. Delicious mousse on top of cake with more mousse hidden inside. And it was all served in an edible dark chocolate cup. Deliciously rich!

The girl who helped us was super nice and especially patient. Travelers to the area would do themselves a favor stopping by for a light lunch. Be aware that parking is really tight in the tiny parking lot but there's also street parking.

• Visited August 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Best in DC area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you never been here, this is a must try if you like pastries. The flavors are different than typical french or american bakeries. But for me the almond pretzel is the best. Next would be the apple strudel. But there are a lot of other good things to try.

• Visited May 2013
Fairfax, VA
“Great old-stryle bakery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'm particularly fond of their butter cookies and any form of German pastry can be found here, and as far as this American can tell, done well.

Visited August 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“Outstanding Pastry and Deli Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Heidelberg has a vast selection of fantastic baked and deli goods; the breads, including very hearty breads (great selection on weekends), are amazing and tasty. Sometimes I have bought pastries elsewhere and inevitably ended up saying, "Heidelberg is better." We've been customers for decades and keep returning to Heidelberg because of the selection, service, superb quality, and surprisingly, given the superlatives, the prices. We especially like the poppy-seed strudel and various hammentashen. This is a family and children friendly place. If the parking lot is full, don't get discouraged -- across the street there is a school parking lot, which is empty on weekends, and the wait inside Heidelberg is not long. As a side note, Heidelberg actively (& quietly) participates in and supports many, many community groups and activities.

• Visited January 2013