“Never that impressive” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Takeout
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Never that impressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've had cakes from here for several years at different occassions and I have never been that impressed. I think they are overrated and overpriced. Maybe it's just been bad luck.

Visited August 2012

Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
“Cupcakes galore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Large assortment of cupcakes. It was ok. Kind of pricey. I think I need to give it another try. But it was kind of cool.

Visited October 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Product, but Kinda Pricey.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

How often do you actually find buttercream frosting made with real butter? Well, you can taste the butter and feel it melt in your mouth. Yum! The lightness of the frosting is well balanced by a heavier cake. What a welcome change from the usual "me-too" so called artisan cupcake baker cashing in on a trend, where art-over-substance box-mix ho-hum is super-slathered in lard tasting stuff. The seasalt carmel cupcake is my fav, with the occasional little chunk of coarse salt in the carmel letting me know this cupcake features truth in advertising. The biggest problem I see for this baker with his great story is his turning off repeat visits with tooooo steep of a price. It's a great cupcake, but still just a cupcake. With a half dozen cupcakes costing the same as a short-rib dinner, I'll have to reconsider another stop at the bakery. The price hurts my rating.

Visited September 2012
San Diego, California
“Expensive, Very Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I want to like Cakelove, but it's hard to when it's so expensive! I know that cupcakeries and specialty cake shops are all expensive, but it kind of hurts to spend that much on a small cake.

I got a brown velvet cake and it was just okay. The cake was pretty dense, and the flavors of the cake and frosting didn't stand out as being amazing to me. I did like the unstructured look of it; it didn't look like it was trying to be perfect which I liked.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Valdosta, GA
“Birthday Dessert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This place has the best cupcakes I've had in a long time with new and interesting flavors that I haven't had before. I had a chocolate cupcake with cheesecake filling frosting. It was amazing.

Visited July 2012