“philly cheesesteak” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Arlington, Virginia
“philly cheesesteak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I went there for a cheesesteak since I am from philly it was ok needs good bread like in phila jersey and ny

Visited September 2012

Windsor, Colorado
“Great Place for a Burger the Way You Want It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My son and I were in DC on business and had heard of Ray's Hell Burger, so after a meeting with a client up the street we decided to try it out. First we got to where it was supposed to be, but the building was empty and for rent. Luckily we saw it down the hill and on the other side of the street. It's moved to 1650 Wilson Blvd, so you'll find it there. You can order your burgers cooked in different ways. You can select what you want on your burgers from a wide variety of greetings. I believe whatever you choose, you will love. My burger was very large (10 oz) and very tasty. They also have a smaller burger if you aren't as hungry. The skin on fries were also great. You can also get sweet potato fries and others. If you are in Arlington and like burgers, this is the place to go.

• Visited February 2013
Atlanta, GA
“Mmmm......bison burger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Ray's III encompasses all three Ray's options into one, especially now as the cheesesteak and burger joints across the street are temporarily closed I guess? You can choose from the steakhouse options or grab a burger or cheesteak. I opted for a bison burger which was pretty good. There are many burgers to choose from from regular beef to bison with several different toppings and sauces. I also started off with the seafood crab cakes which had a mixture of lobster, crab, and shrimp. Everything I had here was delicious and the service was pretty good. I hear the fried chicken is good as well, but didn't get to try maybe next time as I would definitely head back here again when in the Arlington area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scouseville
“What a great burger joint!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

It's no wonder that Pres. Obama took Vladimir Putin here for lunch couple years ago! The quality of the burgers was sublime, and the beef itself was absolutely first class. I was a little confused about how to order at the beginning, however I didn't get my food ordered and delivered to my table. I was lucky enough to find somewhere to sit as it is a small place, especially during the winter when the patio isn't open.

There's a map on the wall showing what nations people have come from and eaten at this burger joint. It is amazing to see! And it is no wonder that they come here, based on the quality of food. I would highly recommend that you make a stop here when in DC or Virginia - treat yourself to a little unhealthy food, but at least you know it's the best around!

• Visited November 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
“The BEST burger joint you can find in the DC metro area. (PERIOD!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Okay so I like burgers, and I've had many-a-burger in my time but I have never had a burger as distinctive and wonderful tasting as the burgers at Ray's. For about a year I worked about two blocks away from this place. My boss took me to it when I first started working in the area. It is a dumpy looking strip-mall location that I wouldn't give a second look to under normal circumstances. You know its special though when you see a line of people out the door during lunch time to order a burger.

After going once I was hooked. It is so good that almost every opportunity I got to eat out this would be the place I would go. Every time I would take someone else here who hadn't been before they would leave raving about the burgers and wanted to go back when we'd get together for lunch in the future.

We all know burgers are simple food. Usually there's not much that can be done to make one burger significantly different from another. So what makes Ray's amazing is that they take a simple food and just make it taste gourmet and amazing. The burgers are huge and thick. You would think that it might be hard to get them cooked properly. Despite this, the cooks at Ray's have managed to master cooking them so they turn out exactly as ordered every time whether you asked for rare, medium, or well.

Ray's toppings are what make the burgers so amazing. They have a wide range of toppings from the mundane to the "foo-foo gourmet" but the selection they have works amazingly well when put together into different combinations. They have a number of different pre-configured burgers and they are all excellent. If you really want to though, you can always put together your own combination.

Ray's also stands out for its sides. I am particularly fond of their sweet potato fries and their mac-n-cheese. While their burgers are big and filling I really recommend adding one of their sides to make it a complete meal.

Like every restaurant there are a couple of down-sides to Ray's. The first is that they don't take credit cards. They have an ATM in the restaurant so you can always get cash but your best off coming in the door with cash in your pocket.

The other annoying thing about Ray's is that there are little things about it that are always changing from month to month. I've read the owner is a quite a character in the local restaurant scene and is known for being eccentric. For some reason this guy seems unable to leave a perfect formula alone. Every time I go they seem to have changed something in the menu, the building, or the look of the place. The guy who owns this place needs to just recognize he got it right on the first try and leave it be. Sometimes there really isn't anything that needs to be improved.

Overall Ray's is perfection when it comes to hamburgers. Anyone who lives or visits the DC metro area owes it to themselves to pay this place a visit. There really is nothing else like it and it really shows how even simple foods can be taken to extreme levels of delight.

• Visited August 2012