“Excellent food/wine, not terribly big or intimate though.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grand Cru Wine and Gourmet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 693 Restaurants in Arlington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Glebe
Transit: Ballston Metro Stop on the Orange Line. Exit and walk kitty corner through the courtyard with the Cosi and Potbelly Sandwich shops. Grand Cru is located in the next courtyard with the fountain.
Description: Grand Cru is a French American Bistro and Wine bar offering fine food in a cozy European style atmosphere. One of the key advantages of Grand Cru is our on site wine store with over 450 premium wines from around the world. Any of these retail priced wines can be enjoyed with your dinner with a modest on premise service fee. Grand Cru also features a selection of over 50 domestic and hard to get imported beers. The menu at Grand Cru consists of an impressive array of tapas items, world class entrees, fondue and hand crafted desserts. the idea is equisite food paired great wines at a price you can afford. But if you are in the mood to eat at home, stop by and pick up a bottle of wine to go.
Manassas, Virginia
“Excellent food/wine, not terribly big or intimate though.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This place is very nice for a little bistro, so don't expect a large, romantic restaurant setting here. It is very much a trendy little place to enjoy a glass after work or a casual dinner, but not some place I would say you would bring a Valentine's date or an anniversary dinner, etc. It's a good distance from a very casual place, but just far away enough from a more business casual place that you can roll in wearing jeans and a button down and fit in. The food was terrific, the roasted chicken was very tender. Did not come with just about anything as a side, aside from a few tiny pieces of potatoes. The menu is short, but good quality options. The waitress was very attentive, pouring our wine and checking on us. Otherwise, was not blown away by service. Not bad, just not wowed. I'd return again if I was in the area, but would not likely make the 40 min drive towards the city again just for the purpose of eating there. It could be bigger, with less noise (tables are close together in a small space, and near an actual wine bar in addition to the gourmet shop). Overall, a very good experience, just not what I expected for some reason.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Arlington, Virginia, United States
“Fun Wine Flights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I have been here a couple of times for our "date night" and we love it. Great flights of wine offered, lots of interesting beers for him, and friendly service. They don't mind that we play cribbage for a while and chat. Highly recommend.

Visited July 2012
Kauai, Hawaii
“Great food, great selection of wines!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I had been to Grand Cru twice with a friend who is a very regular customer, and I greatly enjoyed my food and wine. So when I was planning a birthday dinner for myself and about ten friends, I thought Grand Cru would be perfect. Yelena Thorpe, of Grand Cru, could not have been nicer in helping me to plan my little celebration. Ms. Thorpe even asked whether I'd like to pre-order some appetizers to have ready when my guests arrived.

All of the appetizers, and in particular, the dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in proscuitto, were amazing. We selected various California and French red wines to go with our meal, and all of my guests raved about the food and the wines. Main courses ordered included venison, rack of lamb, scallops, to-die-for (my moniker!) gourmet mac and cheese, and orzo with mushrooms and truffle oil. There was a great deal of sharing of main courses around our table, and everyone raved about his or her own dish, as well as about the others tasted. And then, the desserts -- OMG! Triple chocolate mousse, warm chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream, hazelnut torte.

What a marvelous gastronomic experience to share with good friends! And many, many thanks to Ms. Thorpe for her help in planning this event, and for making certain that all of us were well taken care of. I will be back, for sure. GO: you will not be disappointed!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NYC
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a memorably excellent meal. Everything was perfect -- food, service, atmosphere, pricing, wine options. Tables are well spaced but it feels comfortable, homey, and friendly. I highly recommend this place and will return if I am anywhere in the vicinity.

Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect drop in spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

After a long day at the office when all you need is a quiet corner to sit down with a good glass of wine and some simple, but quality food this is the place to stop.

Or on our way to visit friends to pick up some real quality wine - Grand Cru has a bottle to suit every budget and taste. Make a stop by, you won't be disappointed.

Visited September 2012