“This wine bar is fine for dinner, but do not lunch here!” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grand Cru Wine and Gourmet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 715 Restaurants in Arlington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Glebe
Transit: Ballston Metro Stop on the Orange Line. Exit and walk kitty corner through the courtyard with the Cosi and Potbelly Sandwich shops. Grand Cru is located in the next courtyard with the fountain.
Description: Grand Cru is a French American Bistro and Wine bar offering fine food in a cozy European style atmosphere. One of the key advantages of Grand Cru is our on site wine store with over 450 premium wines from around the world. Any of these retail priced wines can be enjoyed with your dinner with a modest on premise service fee. Grand Cru also features a selection of over 50 domestic and hard to get imported beers. The menu at Grand Cru consists of an impressive array of tapas items, world class entrees, fondue and hand crafted desserts. the idea is equisite food paired great wines at a price you can afford. But if you are in the mood to eat at home, stop by and pick up a bottle of wine to go.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This wine bar is fine for dinner, but do not lunch here!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant for dinner and happy hour a handful of times. They have a great selection of wine and I was impressed with their offering of organic chicken (quite a rarity in the neighborhood). Happy hour appetizers were slightly above average, but I'd stay away from the artichoke as it was undercooked on two different occasions.

I recently had lunch at this location and was greatly disappointed. The restaurant was empty on a Friday at lunch and yet the service was pathetically slow. We went our entire meal without drink refills and the waitress was overall Inattentitive and unapologetic. I requested a dish without onion and was told that it couldn't be modified as it was a mix (which scared me that the food is already prepared and unfrozen, though I have no proof of this). The three course lunch is not worth it's price tag. I prefer Rustico's (down the street) lunch offering and service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chicagoland
“Completely Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at the Westin Arlington and this little gem is in the courtyard adjacent to the hotel. Wife and I stopped in for a drink one evening to take in the great weather and decided to come back the following evening with both daughters. Spectacular tapas options, excellent fondue choices and great service. Even my finicky 10 year old was raving about the food. Would definitely return for another visit.

Visited June 2012
frederick, maryland
“Fabulous lunch fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Knowledgeable locals took me here for a business lunch; it was great. I had the soup of the day - cold avocado - which was a well balanced gazpacho with subtle hints of a tasty avocado. Then I had the seared tuna nicoise - not at all a conventional Nicoise, and much better! It had a beautiful piece of seared slice tuna steak over a light nicely flavored salad base, olives etc. but no eggs. We finished with a small complimentary dish of ripe strawberry in a tasty red wine sauce. I was fully satisfied, low carb, and not stuffed. Can hardly wait for another business meeting in Arlington.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Woodbridge
“Great patio and nice menu selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The food and atmosphere were wonderful. The outside seating was comfortable, with nice shade. The menu is varied and just the right size. Among the standouts were the mussels (great taste) and the Mediterranean salad. My only minor concern was the small slice of toasted bread that came with the mussels. I think all mussels should come with plenty of crusty bread! I could have ordered bread for $3 a basket, which I think is ridiculous concerning the price range of the menu items. The house Shiraz was a great bargain at $5 a glass. I had a pear dessert with caramel sauce and ice cream. I was expecting a tart, based on the menu description, but it was more of a cake. The caramel sauce was to die for; I could have eaten a cup of it!

I would have given the restaurant a five if it hadn't been for the waiter. He did a fine job, but was a bit too familiar in his approach, like we had met before (which we hadn't!). Although the restaurant had opened for dinner just an hour or so before we got there, he seemed to have somewhere else to go as he disappeared a few times and clearly asked some fellow servers to cover for him.

Since we ate outside, we didn't visit the wine store part of the restaurant, but noticed people visiting it and making purchases. It appeared to have a nice selection.

We wouldn't hesitate to visit again (although I would hope for a different server) or recommend this restaurant to friends.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Arlington
“Worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Love this restaurant. I have not had a bad meal here. I also haven't had a cheap meal here. But the expense is worth it because the food is so good.

Visited April 2012