“First Time Was Better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 48 hotels in Arlington
south carolina
“First Time Was Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We visited in the motel early in February 2013 and thought we had found the best place to stay when visting family that had recently moved to the area. While there were a couple issues in February they were promptly resolved by the front desk clerk. However after our second visit this month I am not so sure about it being the best choice. The first disappoint was the fact that the nightly rates had doubled. After some research it appears that the current rates are in effect for nine months of the year and they have a lower rate for the 3 coldest months of the year. They have some rooms with fridges and microwaves and some without. I requested to have those items in our room. I was given a room that was supposed to have such but when we got to the room there was only a microwave sitting on the floor. The desk clerk did come upstairs to give us another room. However we lost valuable time as we were supposed to be meeting family at a designated time. The room space is good although there is an area next to the door that is totally wasted as nothing can be placed there. The bathroom is a good space but the water pressure was awful. It seems that changes from room to room also. Breakfast is average with the same choices every morning. I did notice that the waffle batter was much thinner than on our earlier visit. They generally have a good selection of fruit and yogurt. Before I visit ended they began a renovation on the lobby area. This did cause some issues with the computer they offer for guests as it was moved a couple times and was not working part of the time. In their favor they do have free breakfast and free parking, something you can't find too often in this area. One other issue on this visit was the wake up callls. The time change occurred during this stay and it never surprises me when a motel doesn't catch that on the first day. However they missed it on the second day also at which time I informed them that they were an hour late in waking their guests and had apparently not updated their system to the time change. The next morning it was correct. However I unfortunately heard quite the argument the night before amongst 2/3 employees concerning a guest who had complained about his wakeup call. They argued loudly and profanely at the desk about whose fault it might have been. One of these same employees also argued right before that for at least 20 minutes on the phone with a friend. His language was neither professional nor proper considering anyone in the lobbly could hear him. While this location is convenient to family I will have to do some research to see if I can find somewhere with better rates for what they offer for future visits.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Supply, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My Daughter and I recently visited Washington, DC for four days during her spring break from college. The Ballston Comfort Inn proved to be a great choice. It is conveniently located near the metro and a handful of excellent, moderately priced restaurants. The area feels very safe for walking day or night. The room was spacious and very clean. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the morning free breakfast was just right. With 24 hour free coffee and a moderate price, we will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Need a hotel near the Ballston metro and within walking distance of Fairfax ave and many eateries and goodies?? Need it fast? Reasonably low rates without sacrificing cleanliness and *free* breakfast? Need free room internet and maybe a printer? The Comfort Inn has it all. We stay there when we go to Arlington (mostly for business). The rooms have a refrigerator too. The proximity to the Ballston metro (within 4-6 blocks) makes it easy to access DC facilities and attractions. We love to visit old Alexandria as well as the museums and eateries near the white house. Check out old ebbits grill for 1800s decor (with gas lamps). The Comfort-Inn staff and especially the manager are very helpful and curteous. For the many years we have stayed there, we have not had any problems what-so-ever. Need additional time for checkout (within reason), just ask. Need to park for early check-in, just ask. Need to leave the car for the business meeting, just ask. It's not fancy but it is rock solid at a reasonable price in a great location with great amenities. Check it out!
The confort inn has very good accomodations and very nice (free!) breakfast.

Room Tip: Well, any are good for sleeping as we are gone most of the day.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Ballston area is a great place to stay when in the DC area on business, but most of the local hotels are vastly overpriced. The Comfort Inn Ballston is an excellent value, particularly in that context. It is an easy walk to the Ballston Metro stop, and local busses stop right outside. The rooms are clean and quiet, and come with a refrigerator and microwave along with the usual amenities. Complementary breakfast (some hot items, lots of healthy options) and in-room internet (wifi or wired) make the entire experience very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My friends and I stayed at this hotel because it had come highly recommended by a co-worker. For the most part everything was fine but we kept finding black ants on our bed. It wasn't the biggest deal and probably just the room but it was annoying and an inconvenience. It is just ants after all but we shouldn't have to deal with that for the price.

Pros: Free parking, free breakfast, decent sized room, appeared to be in a safe area

Cons: Found ants in bed, longer walk from the train than we would have liked

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here for the first time during Inauguration/MLK Weekend. The hotel is generally dated with a few upgrades (flat screen TV and the bathroom floor tile) but clean. The service was prompt and friendly to include shuttle service to and from the Ballston Metro during peak hours (really a short walk but it was freezing most days). The area is busy without being congested and pedestrian friendly. Shopping and dining are within a few blocks and feels very safe. Other than the cosmetics of the hotel I would suggest increasing the water pressure for better showers and upgrade the shower heads. The breakfast offerings were basically the same each morning but have enough variety to prevent repeats.

Room Tip: Definitely request an interior room if traffic sounds disturb you. My room was near the street (Gleb...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was my second stay at this the hotel. I chose it the first time because of the price. It was about $60 cheaper than the HI down the street where I usually stay when in time. My first stay was almost perfect. Of course, it wasn't as nice the HI but it was definitely above average. My room had a microwave and refrigerator and faced the courtyard. The TV was fine. The staff was friendly and helpful. The shuttle service as reliable. The Internet was reliable.

Now the second stay. The first room we were assigned didn't have a microwave and refrigerator. The good news is that we were moved to a room that had both. Unfortunately, we had to rearrange the furniture in the room in order to be able to plug in the microwave. We reported a loose wall socket that we discovered while moving things around. We were told that maintenance would fix it, but that didn't happen.

My husband wanted a room with a flat screen TV. We were told that they didn't have any more of those rooms but they did have TVs in the back and they'd have maintenance bring one up for us the next day. Well, that didn't happen. The manager had a different story. Unfortunately, my hubby saw a maintenance guy putting TVs in other rooms.

The television reception wasn't that good this time. I especially disappointed with the ABC station as I had to watch, Scandal, my favorite guilty pleasure, with a fuzzy screen. I don't remember any reception problems during my first stay.

The Internet was exceptionally slow. Since this was a working trip, I really needed the Internet. I finally gave up trying to do anything substantive online. Again, I don't remember any Internet problems on my first stay.

Will I stay here again? Probably. It will depend on the room charge. My 3-day stay averaged $100/night which is excellent for the Arlington area (almost half the per-night charge of my first stay). If I do stay again, I'll arrive with lowered expectations. Management really needs to be a bit more service-oriented.

Room Tip: We stayed in 262 which was the last room on the hallway (actually down the hall, around the corner...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn Ballston? Share your experiences!