“Second time not the charm” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #36 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
“Second time not the charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was my second stay at this the hotel. I chose it the first time because of the price. It was about $60 cheaper than the HI down the street where I usually stay when in time. My first stay was almost perfect. Of course, it wasn't as nice the HI but it was definitely above average. My room had a microwave and refrigerator and faced the courtyard. The TV was fine. The staff was friendly and helpful. The shuttle service as reliable. The Internet was reliable.

Now the second stay. The first room we were assigned didn't have a microwave and refrigerator. The good news is that we were moved to a room that had both. Unfortunately, we had to rearrange the furniture in the room in order to be able to plug in the microwave. We reported a loose wall socket that we discovered while moving things around. We were told that maintenance would fix it, but that didn't happen.

My husband wanted a room with a flat screen TV. We were told that they didn't have any more of those rooms but they did have TVs in the back and they'd have maintenance bring one up for us the next day. Well, that didn't happen. The manager had a different story. Unfortunately, my hubby saw a maintenance guy putting TVs in other rooms.

The television reception wasn't that good this time. I especially disappointed with the ABC station as I had to watch, Scandal, my favorite guilty pleasure, with a fuzzy screen. I don't remember any reception problems during my first stay.

The Internet was exceptionally slow. Since this was a working trip, I really needed the Internet. I finally gave up trying to do anything substantive online. Again, I don't remember any Internet problems on my first stay.

Will I stay here again? Probably. It will depend on the room charge. My 3-day stay averaged $100/night which is excellent for the Arlington area (almost half the per-night charge of my first stay). If I do stay again, I'll arrive with lowered expectations. Management really needs to be a bit more service-oriented.

Room Tip: We stayed in 262 which was the last room on the hallway (actually down the hall, around the corner...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I was thoroughly disappointed with this hotel. I was expecting a much more pleasant experience. Instead I was very disappointed. The rooms did not even vaguely resemble the rooms posted on the web site. The rooms were dated and dingy. There was trash on the floor. Yet the staff which was so rude and unpleasant refused to move me. The elevator was so slow. I will never return to hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Martinsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This property provides a great location for a sightseeing trip to Washington DC. You can take the Ballston metro downtown. The hotel has a shuttle to the metro if desired, but we walked with no problem. The staff is very helpful and super friendly. Nice spacious rooms. Would stay here again,

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have stayed here several times in the past couple of years since I have family in Arlington. It has improved in the past 2 years! The rooms are clean, and they are spacious. Also, it's not as expensive as some of the other hotels in this area. It's not a fancy hotel, but it serves the purpose of a place to lay your head when in the DC area. It's within walking distance of the Ballston Metro Station. There are also restaurants nearby within walking distance. It's very convenient to the interstate, and it offers free parking. I was amazed at the hotels in this area that charge for parking! The breakfast buffet isn't the best, but it offered enough for my taste. Since my family lives within a mile of this hotel, it is a nice place to walk and look at the houses! This is a great value in an otherwise expensive area!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Northern PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We went to visit Washington, DC, but we didn't want to spend the money to stay in the city. This hotel is about 1/2 mile from the Ballston Metro Station (Orange Line). It's very walkable, and the hotel has shuttle service to the Metro Station during certain hours. From there, it's about a 10-15 minute ride into the center of DC. You can get to the White House, Smithsonian, and more without even having to change trains.

Our room was very comfortable, clean, and nice. We stayed on the courtyard (quiet) side and had no complaints at all. The employees were all very nice, and the breakfast was good. There are several restaurants and bars within walking distance, and the neighborhood seemed nice. The hotel also has free parking.

I would highly recommend the hotel and will definitely stay there again when in DC.

Room Tip: I'd recommend getting a room that faces the courtyard. The streets surrounding the hotel are pre...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

There is nothing fancy about this Comfort Inn. It's tired. However, it's a great location, very easy to get in and out of, no cost for parking, the rooms are clean and big, the people are nice, and it does the job. How can you beat $75 a night when you just need a good nights sleep?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hotels in Arlington are ridiculously expensive, so we decided to save well over $100 a night by staying at a Comfort Inn. It was worth it. The hotel staff was quite friendly and helpful, the free breakfast was average, and the bed was good. The wireless internet was free (unlike the more expensive hotels) and it's a reasonable walk to lots of restaurants and the shopping mall. The exercise room looked fine, when I finally found it after asking the clerk - but it's hidden in a little room IN THE PARKING GARAGE, where I wasn't comfortable working out alone, even with the locked door. The overall feel of the place was shabby - the carpets had stains, the office/room adjacent to the lobby was completely empty, the elevator doors had obviously been painted over multiple times, but were still dirty. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Ballston? Share your experiences!