“Where do I start?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Where do I start?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I researched alot of hotels outside of DC while preparing for our vacation. I wanted something reasonable priced and close to the metro. The website for this Comfort Inn stated they had a free shuttle that went to the Metro station every hour which sounded great to me. We would be staying at this hotel for 3 nights and our schedule was jammed packed so we pretty much needed a place to sleep and shower. Which is pretty much what I realized this hotel was good for.

Upon checking in - we were third in line and the front desk clerk recited the exact same speech to every guest....by time I got to the front, I knew his speech word for word. We had reserved two rooms and they offered us adjoining rooms on the 3rd floor but they hadn't been "updated". If I wanted updated rooms, we had to opt for two separate rooms on the 2nd floor. We went with the updated rooms, side by side. These rooms were hardly updated. They had old TV's that barely got a clear channel. The bathrooms were partially updated but they were nothing fancy. The A/C was very strong though so that was a good thing. I guess I just expected more, since I was told these were the newly updated rooms.

We decided to grab the shuttle to the Metro since we had reservations in DC that night. The shuttle is not an automatic hourly thing. We had to tell the front desk we wanted the shuttle and then wait for them to find someone to drive this shuttle. Sometimes it left at 5 past the hour, other times it was 20 past the hour. There was no return shuttle waiting at the Metro as they advertised (and as they told us during the check in speech).....I suppose if we needed the ride back, we would have had to call the hotel and request it. We opted to walk the 7 long - very long blocks back to the hotel each night. And after a whole day trekking DC, the 7 blocks seemed very very long.

The breakfast was good, but the room was packed and one morning we couldn't even get into the room and get a seat. When we did get breakfast it was good - standard breakfast items to start the day off.

The worst thing was the internet access. It was non-existant. We followed the sign-on instructions and even after three days, we never accessed the internet. We asked at the front desk what we were doing wrong and they just repeated the same instructions.....frustrating to say the least.

I think if I went back to the DC area, I would look elsewhere to stay. There are so many hotels in and around the area, this probably would not be my first choice again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

stayed there 4 nights while touring around Washington the room was clean, the staff was friendly and the location was great, a 5 min walk to the Metro subway system the all you can eat breakfast held us untill suppertime great value, not much to look at from the outside but more then served our needs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Ballston, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay. Our goal is to provide our guest with a great value in Washington DC.
Fort Recovery
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I completely depended on this website when booking a hotel for our vacation to Washington D.C. The hotel was very good and I'd definitely stay here again. We were able to get a great rate for one of the suites in the hotel. The staff was very friendly when I checked in & out. The room was clean and with three young children, that is of the utmost importance to me. I know that there was a shuttle with the hotel available to use to go to the Metro, but with the close location (with little, to no traffic on some of the days), it would only take us about 15-20 minutes to drive into D.C. & we'd park at Union Station. With a family of five, it was actually cheaper for us this way. The only complaint that I had was that the beds were somewhat small & if that's the biggest complaint, that's not much of anything! Also, if you're a light sleeper, you may want to stay in a room that faces the courtyard. We stayed in a room that faced a busy intersection, so it was a bit noisy, but not much a problem, really. The hotel was better than I expected and I was very pleased with our stay of 3 nights!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was the second time that I have stayed at the Comfort Inn Ballston. It is a 10-15 minute walk from NSF which was perfect. On both occasions the rooms were great. Clean and well kept. The complementary breakfast started the morning off with bang. It is a great value if you are going to be in the DC area or have meetings at NSF.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I needed to stay in Arlington, VA for an overnight business trip. My two key parameters were that the property was within walking distance to my office and reasonably priced, this Comfort Inn ticked both boxes. It definitely wasn't the nicest hotel that I've stayed at, and the property did show a little wear and tear, but the staff were all friendly, my room was clean and overall it provided a great "home base" during my stay. I didn't have a ton of needs or expectations and was pleasantly surprised with my experience. If you are looking for a low-key, no-frills place to stay I'd definitely recommend the Comfort Inn.

An extra bonus for me - since I'm a runner - is that the hotel is conveniently located less than a block from the Custis Trail. If you are looking for a great place to run, this is it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Pottersville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Let's start my daughter's lovely Wedding Day Weekend with the derelict street people sleeping outside the Comfort Inn Ballston at 2 Am when we checked in. Two of them fled into the lobby never to be seen again. Charming breakfast the following morning. Watch the surly help squeeze the so-called scrambled eggs out of a plastic bag (right in front of you), then turn and stalk away. Watch the same surly help turn out the lights in the dining, excuse me, "breakfast room" at precisely 9 AM and proceed to whisk away the remaining food as fast as possible---under the supervision of the Hotel Manager. When questioned about this unusually discourteous practice, his answer was to shrug his shoulders, walk away, and turn the lights back on---for five minutes. The rooms appear to have been furnished out of a used furniture store. I could have done better at Good Will. All of the colors in the room were in conflicting shades of a puky yellow. The so-called parking garage has spaces between columns that dare you to park there. The front desk personnel were bored and indifferent. If you read the rest of my reviews you will find that they are all in praise. So please understand that this represents a major departure from my usual style. And for good reason. If you are a road warrior with no standards, this place is good for one night. Just return for the night before the derelicts arrive.

Room Tip: Don't go here unless you have to.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Ballston, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
We apologize your stay was less than expected, it is through feedback such as yours that we are able to make improvements. Your comments are not typical of our hotel and we are taking them very seriously. We welcome the chance to earn back your business.
Bethesda MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We spent a few days here waiting for Pepco to reconnect power to our home after a storm. Ample under-cover parking, a nice room with everything clean and working and good maid service, and a choice of decent places to eat within walking distance. Beds are small for couples, so make sure your partner likes you. Other than that, all you could ask for when seeking a refuge from Pepco, except that the front desk is chronically understaffed and overwhelmed. They were understandably overwhelmed after a power failure on the 4th July weekend, but as the week wore on we came to realize that an overwhelmed and MIA front desk at this hotel was standard procedure. Calls were not returned, everything was put "on hold", and when you grew weary of this and went downstairs in person, there was a long queue to ask the simplest question. This was only a minor annoyance for us but I don't recommend this hotel if you have anyone who might need front desk attention (business meetings, ability issues, young children, the old and frail) as you won't get it. Otherwise a good choice,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Ballston? Share your experiences!