“Everything perfect - except the internet connectivity” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2899 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #34 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Huntsville, Alabama
“Everything perfect - except the internet connectivity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

A good place deserves a good review. This place was darn near perfect. (With one big exception.)

I stayed here 8/28-30 on business. It is almost immaculate. The rooms were clean, the bathrooms appeared new or renovated (caulk looked fresh, no mold, no cracked tile, no stains). The bed was absolutely awesome. Probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. - no exaggeration. The hallway carpets appeared freshly shampooed.

There are many nice restaurants within walking distance (anything on 23rd street between Eads and Fern. Also Kabob Palace just south of 23rd on Eads.) I brought my take out meal to my room and realized there was not a microwave or refrigerator. I called the front desk and within minutes both were delivered to my room.

The workout room is well equipped. Two ellipticals, several treadmills, and I think a stair master and recumbent bike (not sure though). Two TVs. When I worked out in the morning I called the front desk and requested the temperature be lowered in the workout room (I boil when I work out). I also requested a fan to blow cool air over me while I used the elliptical. Within 15 minutes a man showed up and lowered the temperature and set up a big fan. Awesome. Why can't all workout rooms have fans?

In comparison to a lot of other hotels in the area, there is no free breakfast on weekdays. Guess what? I don't care. The last thing I want to do is stuff myself on generic eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, etc. Save the calories for the good local restaurants later that evening.

Now, the BIG problem. No Ethernet internet. All wireless. Not good. I was on the 11th floor on the east side (which gives you an excellent view of DCA and the Potomac sailboats). Connection dropped out continuously. (Same problem at Embassy Suites here in Arlington.) In all fairness, the staff offered to let me change rooms. Out of laziness, I declined - not worth the hassle. I used my wireless card and also the wireless kit provided by the front desk. I had bad connectivity with both hardware.

This place is thisclose to being excellent. They just need to fix the internet weakness.

• Liked — Clean, excellent staff, location
  • Disliked — Internet connectivity
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

My daughter and I travelled to the DC area for the first time for a Memorial event the weekend of May 19th. We had a group staying at the Courtyard Marriott so we booked there because the hotel offered a special rate for us. I had read the reviews from TripAdvisor stating this site was pretty noisy and not really a great location because it is right next to the Metro, rail system and airport. I found the room excellent and comfortable even though the window looked right out on the systems stated above. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The reason I did not rate this hotel higher is because of the room service/dining room coordination. We had arrived late the first eve, didn't know our way around and needed to get some food. Room service shuts down at 11 although a call at 10:30 p.m. resulted in no answer. We had breakfast one morning at the multi-selection breakfast bar. It was wonderful, but very spendy...$15.00/person. They seemed to have a hard time finding us a table at 9 a.m. There is a great workout room with a TV. Laundry facilities are located there as well as a pool and whirlpool. These were located down a long hall where there are facilities for banquets. My daughter and I were there late one eve and a security guard came through and checked in with us. In fact, security seemed to be an important feature at Courtyard because we saw him around and about quite a bit. Parking was $12/nite and had lots of it. The shuttle service to and from the Metro was very convenient and readily available when needed. The Hyatt right next door had a wonderful atrium/coffee lobby which we visited ocassionally when we wanted to sit and enjoy a moment before heading out for the day. Overall, this site was great, just needed a bit more added for the guests to enjoy some of the kitchen amenities.

• Liked — The Room Was Wonderful-large with a great bed and wonderful space
  • Disliked — Room Service/Meals in the Dining Room
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Anywhere, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

I was very happy with my stay at the Marriott Courtyard. With my AAA discount, it was the best deal I could find in the DC area after factoring in parking and internet access.

Parking was $12/night in an two story underground garage. The parking garage is only accessible through a elevator separate to the elevator that serves the rooms, which was a minor inconvenience. You are given a code at check-in and must use it to enter and exit the garage.

Internet was free and by wifi only. There were an ample amount of access points accessible to my room, but I was only able to get a signal strength of 60%-70%. It was not extremely fast but it wasn't slow either. There are three computers available to use in the lobby, one of which is connected to a printer (which is free to use).

From my room on the 6th floor, I could not hear any noise from the street. However, one morning I was unable to fall asleep due to my neighbor's TV. It wasn't load enough to wake me up, but it was loud enough to prevent me from falling back to sleep.

The room and the rest of the hotel were clean. It did take the cleaning staff a while to clean my room. I left my room at 8 am and when I returned at noon, it still had not been cleaned.

I did not use the pool but it looked clean and was a decent size. It had a lifeguard on duty at all times and was open from 10am-11pm on weekends and 4pm-11pm m-f.

The exercise room was very well supplied for a hotel and located right next to the pool. There were three newish treadmills and at least one exercise bike and elliptical machine; all cardio equipment faces two LCD tvs. There were a good number of free weights ranging from 5 lbs to 35 lbs. There was also a bench and a multi function weight machine, which worked rather nicely. One complain about the exercise room was that it was secluded on the corner of the building adjacent to the usually deserted banquet rooms. It was a bit creepy spending time in there alone at night, although you did need a room key to access the room and it was a bit more busy when the pool was open.

Breakfast was a complete rip off, although the food was good. It is served buffet style and $15 gets you fruit, yogurt, scrambled eggs, bacon, "breakfast potatoes", french toast strips, made to order omelets, fresh made waffles and juice/coffee.

The location was very convenient to DC. It was a pretty direct route by car and only took about 15 minutes. The metro and a little mall are about a mile away. There was a shuttle available to the metro and a few local restaurants. I did use the shuttle on the way back from the metro once. I called in advance of my arrival to request that the shuttle meets me when I arrive, but I was told I would have to call when I was ready. I was a bit annoyed that I would have to wait, but the shuttle arrived in about 5 minutes.

• Liked — Comfortable beds.
  • Disliked — Shower pressure could have been stronger.
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

It is hard to find a more convenient hotel if you arrive at National Airport. The rooms seemed small for the money, and are in need of remodeling (had an out-of-date feel). It was tolerably clean. Noise insulation (both internally and regarding to street traffic) was poor, and the air conditioner/heater was also noisy. The worst problem is that there is nowhere nearby to eat. The hotel "restaurant" was really just part of the bar and my turkey leg was served frozen in the center. The staff was generally helpful and courteous. Do not be fooled by the hotel name: The heart of Crystal City is a difficult mile away and there are Courtyard Inns much more centrally located.

• Liked — Location to airport
  • Disliked — isolation and noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ripley, Wv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Courtyard Crystal City except for a few things: 1. Our room was toward J.Davis Highway thus lots of noise especially early morning. If we should stay there again, we would ask for a room that ends in an odd number away from JDH. 2. Walls were thin. Could hear the alarm clocks on both sides of us go off both days. Hallways carry noise.
3. Breakfast buffet was priced a bit high ($13 plus tax). basically the same buffet that is free at Residence Inns (except for omelets). There is a McDonald's 100 yards away. 4. WAS NOT PLEASED TO PAY $12 per night for parking. There was another lot right by the hotel, but we did not check them out since it was late when we got there.
Room was spacious, nice amenities, great shower, spotlessly clean. We got a pretty good deal for CCC on Priceline, but the parking was an addition to our $52 rate.

Stayed March 2007
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

Courtyard Arlington/Crystal City/Reagan National Airport

I recently spent 2 nights in this hotel. It is conveniently located near Reagan National Airport and is about a 10 minute walk from the Crystal City Metro into downtown DC and the surrounding suburbs. The property also offers a shuttle to the airport. The shuttle is shared with other Marriott-branded properties in the area so the trip to the airport can be about 20 minutes if there are a lot of stops. Also, there is a Metro stop at the airport so the shuttle can save you walking.

The hotel has been remodeled and features the new Marriott bedding which is quite comfortable. The check in staff was fairly friendly and efficient. I did eat the optional breakfast buffet which was about $12. The food was typical Marriott fare, eggs, waffles, meats, cereals, etc. You can also get waffles and eggs to order. The food was tasty but could have been hotter which is always the case with these buffets.

The Courtyard offers a nightly happy hour featuring half price appetizers and lower drink prices. I had a quesadilla with cheese and veggies for $3.50 plus a draft beer for $1.75 which was an excellent deal.

The major problem with this hotel is the noise. Everything is noisy. You hear every sound including the heat/AC, traffic outside going over bumps, trains and your neighbors. I listened to the people in the room next to me making "noises" for well over an hour. I finally went to the lobby and asked security to go observe the loudness and to tell them to knock it off as they were really being too loud. Needless to say, I got limited sleep that evening. This isn't a bad hotel as it is located near a number of restaurants and it is pretty easy to get into DC, but in the future I will stick with the full-service Marriott Crystal Gateway or the Arlington/Rosslyn Residence Inn.

• Liked — Location in Crystal City/DCA area
  • Disliked — Way too noisy, will not return
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

My family recently stayed here when a few of us ran in the ATM race. This was a very convenient location for getting to the race -- a short walk and metro ride away. Parking in the garage was crowded, but that was to be expected on a busy weekend. The two elevators could barely keep up with hotel traffic, but this improved as the weekend went on. Our room was spotlessly clean and had all the expected amenities. We overlooked Reagan National Airport ... and it was fun to watch the planes take off and land. Rail lines were also on that side of the hotel, and except for very noisy freight trains, it did not present a problem. We had breakfast in the hotel both days. There is a decent selection of hot and cold dishes at the buffet for a reasonable price. We did not have dinner there; instead we opted to walk to one of the Crystal City restaurants. All in all, a pleasant experience.

Stayed October 2006

Been to Courtyard Arlington Crystal City/Reagan National Airport? Share your experiences!