“OK for the price, but what is that smell?!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Arlington Crystal City/Reagan National Airport

You added Courtyard Arlington Crystal City/Reagan National Airport to your Saves list
Courtyard Arlington Crystal City/Reagan National Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2899 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
NYC
“OK for the price, but what is that smell?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Stayed at this Courtyard for 3 nights during a conference in July. The conference was next door at the Hyatt, but I chose to stay at the Courtyard instead based on poor reviews of the Hyatt here on TA.

This is a pretty standard Courtyard property. Probably remodeled in the last year or two, but still showing some wear and tear. The front desk and housekeeping staff were both very friendly. Housekeeping did a great job with our room, cleaning it early each day.

Upon arrival, the first thing I noticed was an overpowering smell of chemical air freshener. It was so strong that it commanded your attention as soon as you walked in. This odor permeated the entire ground level of the hotel. What might have been a pleasant smell in a (much) smaller dose was disgusting, making my eyes water and head ache. I thought perhaps they had just cleaned the lobby and assumed it would dissipate but it didn't - it smelled bad the whole weekend. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of smell they were trying to cover up - must have been something pretty awful if this was considered an improvement.

The second thing I noticed was that the carpet behind the reception counter was FILTHY. Didn't really effect my stay, but certainly made an impression.

Happily, the room was an improvement over the lobby. Most importantly, the gross air freshener scent was absent. Large TV, good workspace, queen bed with new sheet-style bedding. Bathroom was pretty standard. On the plus side, the shower curtain was Westin-style, arching outward to give you more room in the shower. On the minus side, it is one of those cheap "covered" tubs and is still pretty small. Not sure why they wouldn't have just gone with standard shower stalls when remodeling. The air conditioning unit was in the wall below the window. It did two things very, very well: a) Keep the room cool and b) wake us up every 10 minutes during the night when it very loudly turned itself off and/or on.

All these complaints aside, not bad for $109 a night, I suppose. They've GOT to do something about that odor in the lobby though...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Arrived at this hotel to attend a meeting. Received a number of confirmations/reminders from the hotel regarding my reservation. Provided my credit card to reserve the room and guarantee late arrival. I guess that wasn't enough.

After arriving at DCA on a late flight in 90 some degree temperatures, I took the hotel shuttle, after showing my confirmation to the shuttle driver. Arrived at the hotel, weary and ready to check-in, only to be told by the desk attendant that I was at the wrong Courtyard, there were no reservations in my name. Maybe go to another hotel.

I left (again) on another shuttle to another hotel. Departed the shuttle, went to check-in, was told that my reservation had been "cancelled." In fact, I had no reservation at the second hotel. Called the first hotel (the Courtyard Arlington Crystal City) and was told that I could return on (another) shuttle, they had a room for me. Once I arrived (or rearrived, that is) was greeted by another desk clerk who told me in fact they did have a reservation for me. Indeed, they had always had a reservation for me.

I called and left a message for the General Manager, in order to provide details of my check-in disaster, but that call has not yet been returned over one day later.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Raymond, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I went to this hotel with my classmates. They were very accomodating to our needs. The hotel was very clean. The tv was huge. The beds were soft. My only problem with the hotel was that there was no fridge. Overall it was a nice hotel ecspecialy sense we got base rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
New Albany, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Staying here for almost three weeks gave me a different personal perspective. Most of the guests of this non-descript, monolithic hotel are from government contractors, who have headquarters in the immediate vicinity.

For myself, working in metro DC, meant either an eight block walk to the Crystal City subway station or waiting on an unreliable shuttle.

While I will say the front desk was able and courteous in answering my questions, the hotel did not offer the amenities of a hotel of this size of the Marriott chain.

The was no lunch served in the hotel, small ants were all over my room, the HBO disappeared frequently from my television, items requested were never delivered and there were constant internet issues (bring a wireless card).

The only respectable restaurants were four to five blocks away, which was tolerable unless you didi not time for the walk or sit down service. The restaurants that delivered were limited and offered the same Italian or Chinese fair.

There was a lack of attention given when my car subject to a hit and run by another unknown driver parking in the compact car space. I received a signature on the incident report by the manager, but no return call concerning the matter which I requested.

If you have to stay in Arlington for a long period of time, especially when you have to commute to DC, stay at a hotel closer to 20th Street. There are many other hotels in the area, all probably of the same quality, but at least closer to the metro.

This is definitely not the hotel for family on vacation trying to save a buck, but an unfortunate destination for a long term government employee.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
ALBANY,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

My adult daughter & I stayed for a Sat and Sun recently for $89 per night. The shuttle picked us up at the airport at 7:30 in the morning & though checkin time was not until 3pm, the room was ready so they checked us in then (quite a nice surprise). The staff person at the desk was very pleasant and helpful, in spite of the fact, that he was checking out a lot of visitors when we arrived. We had a lovely breakfast buffet and then a shuttle drove us to the nearest Metro. The room itself was clean with a wide screen TV, (one negative, the in room movies did not work all weekend) two very comfortable Queen sized beds and plenty of space for a hotel room. The lobby was very nice, though I noticed the floral smell that another reviewer mentioned and also found it a little too strong. I was happy to see the free WiFi and the station to print airline boarding passes was a nice perk.
For convenience, good service and price, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Stayed one night for a business trip. Hotel is minutes away from the airport and the room was surprisingly quiet at night. Room was typical cookie cutter Courtyard with a comfy bed and large flat screen TV. One nice amenity was that they offered room service for dinner. Overall good experience with only one complaint - the smell that permeated the entire hotel/lobby/elevator and room. They must pump some floral scent into the vents to make the hotel smell "fresh." Well, this is not the place for you if you are sensitive to smells. I eventually got over the smell but it would really hit you when you walked in and out of the hotel or in and out of your room. Unfortunately, I won't be a repeat guest; my nose wouldn't be able to handle more than one night's stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
S Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Stayed one night at a rate of $89 +tax in mid Feb booked off the Marriott website.

This is a standard Marriott Courtyard in a great location if you are flying from DCA. The shuttle worked well for me (but note it doesn't start until 6:10am). The hotel facilities were fine (in so far as I used them). The free internet was good. The gym looked reasonably well stocked but I didn't use it. Room clean and comfortable as i would expect. Staff all friendly, etc.

There is a good choice of eating outlets in a 5-10 min walk. Go down to Legal Seafoods and turn left across the main road for a good selection of more local bars, etc. Apparently it is close to a Metro.

As a one night stopover to catch a flight the next morning it fulfilled its role well.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business