“Would stay again” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Houston, Texas
“Would stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I normally stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel. However, for the dates I needed, most hotels were sold out. I chose this location based on price and proximity to a metro.

Tip for those arriving w/ GPS: put in 1501 Fairfax, and it will take you straight to the parking lot and entrance.

Much thanks to the very pleasant an accommodating staff. I had American Express deliver a replacement card by UPS to the Best Western. Although I had not checked in yet, a quick call to the front desk ensured me that the package will be available upon arrival. It was.

Other pluses: free parking (all other DC area hotels were charging $40+ per day!), close to metro (I'm from Houston; we don't walk anywhere. But the 10 minute walk to metro was ok and safe), clean, free WiFi, apple or orange in morning, coffee dispenser w/ hazelnut and french vanilla creamer in lobby, in room coffee maker, fridge, and microwave.

I was at first concerned of the road noise of my room (363). However, after rush hour traffic, it was quiet and I slept well without having to put in ear plugs. I did have issues with toilet.. just needed to remember to hold down then jiggle the handle.

I was pleasantly surprised and would stay here again when I go back to DC. In fact, I extended my stay at this location rather than checking into the Westin City Center.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room on the top level away from elevator and vending machine. For the next time...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Santee, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

In one word! DISAPPOINTING! I have never been to a Best Western that was this bad and I stay at them most the time I travel. First, the door to the room would barely close, looked like someone had tried to break into it and they never bothered to repair it. Second, we were upstairs in a room that was in an enclosed hallway that smelled like a urinal. Third, Touch the handrails outside and your hands came away black with soot. Fourth, interior of room was poorly and only partially renovated. Fifth, The window air unit sounded like a 747 when it was running. Sixth, WiFi didn't work. Seventh, I left a jacket on the bed which they never found and despite asking them to call me back once they checked, I had to call them again. Housekeeping just got my favorite jacket!!! and Finally, the beds were sagging in the middle and uncomfortable. This place reflected badly on not only this hotel, but the Best Western Chain and DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great location if you're looking to park your car and head to the national mall. The Metro station is only a couple blocks away. Parking was free at the hotel. Don't expect luxury...it could definitely use some remodeling. But the bed was comfy, TV was good, free wireless, and the location made it perfect. Have stayed twice now and would definitely stay again. Price was good for the time of year. Would have liked a breakfast but there are tons of places nearby to eat. Only bad thing was a fan or some equipment was running above our room....all day and all night. Not enough to make us move though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I came to a conference in Washington and instead of paying the $300.00 per night before my conference, I thought I'd stay at an inexpensive hotel and check out the sights.

The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean... it was reasonable. The shower went from hot to cold and the toilet wouldn't flush, even after they came in to fix it. Oh the topper, (not the hotels fault) was the guy in the next room throwing up. Good thing I wear ear plugs.

Over all I was comfortable, it was clean and it was close to everything. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed two nights and were pleased with the room. It was clean and comfortable. Perhaps on the small size, but it was not important to us. The restaurant with bar next door was quite reasonable and very well kept in spite if its having been renovated. We enjoyed our stay and would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here for four nights while touring DC. Nice clean hotel, free parking, and about 4/5 blocks to the Metro. You can walk to the Iwo Jima monument easily from here also. Offsetting the lower pricing, you lose time downtown taking the metro, just depends on what you are looking to do and how much time you want to spend. Metro cost about $30 for the four days going back and forth into the city as we did. No breakfast and not a lot of options close by other than the pizza diner joining the hotel. In a 4/5 block walk, near the metro station, a few places to grab a bite.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hampton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here for a week while attending a training class at Homeland Security. Metro stop within walking distance to get me to my destination daily. The hotel is older and needs some renevations. By the way a bit hard to find even with GPS, you may miss it and have to take a couple of attempts. I got a King Suite, or so it was called. It had a king size bed in a small bedroom, small bathroom needing updating badly, the water temp kept going from cool to hot. The other part of the "suite" had a table desk, a couch and a coffee table with just enough room to walk around it between the window, and the couch. The internet was wireless and free, so you should already see what is coming the connection speed was so slow and intermittent it was terrible. You get what you pay for I guess, and DC is extreamely overpriced.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Rosslyn/Iwo Jima? Share your experiences!