“Very Comfy, Clean & Cost Effective” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
BEST VALUE RATE BOOK NOW
Ranked #37 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Bay Area
“Very Comfy, Clean & Cost Effective”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I really don't have any bad things to say about this hotel, except maybe there is no continental breakfast, but that just means you get to try local DC treats... They have free parking, which is awesome (DC can be pricey and congested, lots of construction on roads.) They have outside parking, and an underground lot that's about 3 floors. It does fill up, but there was always a few spots on each floor. It's close enough to DC to be a super convenient spot to stay. It's about 2 miles from Arlington Cemetary and about a mile from the Marine Monument Iwo Jima. The hotel's physical address is on Fairfax Drive; so gps might be a little tricky if you put in the address from website. Website address did work for our gps though. The hotel's street entrance is parallel to freeway, so when you exit you make quick hairpin turn down the street.

It's not the most beautiful hotel, but we were there for the DC sights, not a luxurious stay in a hotel resort. Other than that, the Best Western is in a great location. You can drive to Arlington Cemetary, and there you can park all day and catch the Big Bus Tour, which is excellent by the way, and tour DC. The hotel was clean, our room was clean; though it did smell a little musty at first. Probably from the air con being off, but as soon as we turned it on, it was all good and chill. The second room we reserved was crisp and cool. Air conditioners worked great on the hottest day of the summer and heatwave. Thanks, Best Western! I always like to get a room with two double beds; the room feels larger to me. The beds were very, very comfortable. Soft, I just sank right in. The sheets were crisp white sheets. They must have been new. Our towels in the hotel were awesome as well. Thick white clean towels!!! When I stepped out of the shower and into my towel, I was actually impressed. Great towels = deliciousness. The internet worked. Coffee downstairs was good. I did not use the pool. The staff was friendly and helpful. They suggested driving to Arlington Cemetary and parking there instead of driving into DC. There were 6 of us, including 2 senior citizens during DC's heatwave and this was the best suggestion and worked out great!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CADK

Monterey Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed for 10 days in June 2012 so we could explore DC as tourists. Had to have double beds as I was staying with my brother. I had a difficult time finding double beds for this trip but this place had 'em available.

Let me get the negatives out of the way 'cuz there's only three minor ones. First, the place is getting a little long in the tooth. Not bad, not shabby and definitely not dirty, just things like low quality furniture that's well used. Not ugly, not broken, just getting a little worn. Same thing for the towels. But the beds were in great shape so they were comfortable and seemed to be in better condition than the rest of the room.

Second problem, and this is a biggie for me; No safe in the whole place. I now look for two amenities (I'm a simple guy) - free internet and in-room safe. They don't even have a safe at the front desk but offered to hold my prized camera gear and computers. PLEASE put these in so I can stay here again (and not the tiny ones-it needs to hold a laptop and a DSLR).

Last problem - and this didn't affect me because we didn't rent a car. They offer free parking but the lot is small and fills up quickly. I only know 'cuz I was in the lobby when someone was really complaining. And since all on-street parking is metered, you're screwed if you don't get a space in the lot, so I agree with the complaining lady.

Now the good stuff:

The staff was ALWAYS excellent. EVERYONE was friendly and helpful.
Free internet in the room and free printer in the lobby so you can print your boarding passes.
Purified water dispenser (free) in the lobby and free coffee, but the coffee was lame.
CLOSE TO ALL MAJOR ATTRACTIONS!!! Once you're on the train, your next stop is in the district.
Metro station: It took us between 6 and 9 minutes to walk there. Mostly 8-9 minutes. This walk is so short and easy I kept insisting to myself it was only 4-5 minutes, so I measured it about 10 times.
GREAT pool and pool area.
Microwave, dorm fridge and iron/board in room along with coffee maker.
Clean with good housekeeping service.
Fantastic price for this location at this time of year for this kind of hotel.

I usually travel with one other adult. Never any kids. So I'm looking for a place to take a shower, change my cloths and sleep. I'm out of the room in the AM to see the sights and don't come back until transportation shuts down. This is my kind of place. If you like to hang at the hotel and use the amenities, you're you're not going to enjoy this hotel as much as I did.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the street side. We don't mind typical street traffic but they're doing a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank MrBiker
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

A storm in the D.C. area in the first week of July caused severe power outages such that we were without power in our home for a number of days. After two restless nights sleeping in the basement, we were ready for a hotel. Our criteria was to find a place near our home so that we could check on it and our pets as needed and to not spend a lot of money. After researching Arlington hotels on Trip Advisor at the local library, I narrowed it down to a couple choices and we settled on the Best Western Iwo Jima because it was the closer of the two hotels to our home.

We could not have been more pleased with our choice! First, the AAA rate was very good (less than $100 per night for the 2 nights we needed). Second, when we checked in, the front desk staff could not have been more friendly, more sympathetic to our plight, and more accommodating to our request for a room in a quiet location. Third, the amenities offered by this hotel are better than those offered by much higher-priced hotels.

After checking in, we drove our car into the FREE parking garage which provided us covered parking--a bonus with the heat wave. We went to our clean and tidy room and plugged in the laptop to use the FREE Wi-fi. After awhile, we headed downstairs for a swim in the large indoor pool. For dinner, we ate pizza at the adjacent restaurant, Ledo's Pizza, and took our leftovers to place in mini-refrigerator in our room. On the way up to our room, we grabbed a cup of FREE decaf coffee from the coffee machine in the lobby. Finally we settled in to watch cable TV on the flat screen TV in our room. The next day, we walked 5 minutes to the Rosslyn Metro and were on our way into D.C. for work. We had a lovely 2-day respite from the heat in this excellent hotel.

I noted some reviewer(s) mentioned "noise" at this hotel. We didn't hear a thing. Also, while this property is shown here on Trip Advisor as a 2-star property, I think it actually more of a 3-star hotel.

So, if you are looking for a moderately priced hotel in an excellent location with free parking and other great amenities, look no further than the Best Western Iwo Jima.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank longhorn74
North Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We visited DC on memorial day weekend. I liked the location for the price we paid. If you're looking for not-so-expensive hotel close to DC, than this is a good option. Just couple of minutes to Lincoln memorial and national mall area. The rooms are avarage, nothing dirty and nothing special. The place is clean, free parking, free coffee (no breakfast). Just like any other hotel...but would give 3.5 star for location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rutansh
Somerset, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I choose this hotel after reading TONS of reviews and I was not disappointed. We stayed here for 5 days in June 2012 after driving to DC from Minnesota. This hotel was very well priced, has FREE parking and is a less than a 5 min walk to the Metro.

The hotel staff was very friendly and knowledgeable of the local area. Check in and out was quick and easy. The lifeguard at the Pool (Mike) gave us some great tips on a local restaurant that was fantastic. Please get your Metro info at the Metro station as the station manager was able to provide us better information on the best stops for the destinations we were looking for.

Room was very clean and comfortable for 3 adults and 1 child in a 2 bed (queen) room. The shower was hit/miss with temperature and water pressure was a little light for my liking. We had a coffee maker and a fridge which was very handy.

Pool was comfortable temp but was in a little rough shape. No hot tub. But was all well within my expectations for the price of this hotel. Beds were comfortable. Other reviews mention airplane noise but we didn't ever hear them in the evening.... was a non-issue for us.

Grounds were well maintained and clean.

This hotel does not provide a breakfast other than coffee, apples and oranges.... a downside!
There is a restaurant right next door that provided a very nice breakfast and excellent pizza for dinner. However, breakfast was a bit expensive.

I recommend this hotel for anyone on a budget visiting DC!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jae351
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Although this is billed as a 2 star hotel I would say it's leaning more into 3 star territory. After extensive research before we travelled this was the only hotel we could find that was relatively cheap, appeared decent and had free parking.

The hotel didn't disappoint, and was pretty much as expected. WIFI, and parking are included in the price but unfortunately no breakfast, and the restaurant next door is average. Staff were friendly and helpful (we were presented with a good map and list of attractions/restaurants and directions to them on arrival), and the hotel/rooms were clean and everything was in working order. Although not in Washington DC itself (it's actually in Virginia), it's only a 5 minute drive/taxi ride to downtown Washington DC, or if you prefer public transport the metro (subway) is a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel and it's only 2 stops to the downtown area. Overall, given the ridiculous prices of some of the 3 star hotels we saw in Washington, this is a good option for people looking to be close in a safe area, as long as they aren't expecting too much.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Carlo1981
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Pros : Walkable distance to Iwo Jima memorial, close to Pentagon and Arlington cemetary. We took a taxi to DC which is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Attendants are friendly and helpful. Free parking.

Cons: Room was run down, bathroom needs a major upgrade, bad shower.
Noisy(someone had a party at 3am in the morning and the noise destroyed our sleep).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sonamona

Travelers are raving about these Arlington hotels