“Basic but fine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 47 hotels in Arlington
New York, NY, USA
“Basic but fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed for one night on business. Hotels in DC are exorbitant so I looked for a reasonable rate within walking distance to the Metro knowing I would only be in the room to sleep. I didn't use a lot of the facilities but still enough to make an impression. The hotel is comprised of two sections--a two story motel-style building with rooms that open into the parking lot connected to a regular building with rooms. The hotel is in a quasi-residential area next to tall apartment buildings, one street away from a busy highway. There isn't a lot of character to the neighborhood but it seemed safe enough.

Check-in was fast, courteous and friendly. I asked for a quiet room and was given one on the second floor in sort of a hallway that connects the two buildings. My room was basic as you would expect from a budget hotel but spacious and clean. The furnishings showed their age but were serviceable and most importantly the bed was firm and comfortable. The room has been updated so there are plenty electric sockets and an LCD TV on the wall. The bathroom was clean and the shower and water pressure were fine. There was a microwave, fridge and coffee maker in the room, plus free coffee in the lobby. In my experience the older hotels always have creaky floors and this one was no exception; in fact, not only was my floor creaky, I could hear the creaks of my neighbor's floors too. That, and the sound of the shower running next door, told me the walls are not the thickest though I didn't hear anything else. The neighborhood is in the flight path of Reagan airport but the airplanes are pretty high so the noise is noticeable but not overbearing (and I'm sensitive to noise).

When I arrived at 10 pm I wanted to buy a bottle of water and my choices were the on-site restaurant (which was closed) or a couple of vending machines a few doors down. There isn't much in the way of stores near the hotel so get what you need before you arrive, especially if you get there at night. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Rosslyn Metro station (5 minutes if you're a fast walker). The sidewalks are good and the walk is fine but you wouldn't want to do it in foul weather. There are no taxis waiting but I saw a couple pull up to the hotel for guests who had called for them.

Yes, in many other cities I would have paid half what I paid for this hotel. But in DC where all hotels seem to be double the normal rate, this was a reasonable alternative. This is no substitute for a business hotel but if you need a place to lay over for a night it's a fine basic hotel.

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Rosslyn/Iwo Jima, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear jack783,

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband and I needed a room convenient to downtown for a night to attend a late-night event. We didn't need to shell out $300 for one of the nicer places downtown -- just needed a clean place to sleep! The Best Western was nothing fancy, but was clean and comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful. Noise was not an issue, and the free parking was certainly a plus!

Dear crogers100,

Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to accommodating you again.
israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for four nights on a tour of washington DC. We chose this hotel as it is very close to a metro station (0.3 mile from the Rosslyn metro). The area is relatively safe (Although not fun to walk at night) and the metro itself is very good having both orange and blue lines (which make it very easy to get to the national mall, smithsonian etc.). That said, the area doesn't really have any good restaurants nearby so if you want to eat, you should do it some place else (we ate in downtown one night and in clarendon which is a couple of stations away on other another night).
It was also relatively cheap for washington DC (which is expensive overall).

The hotel itself is not very attractive to look at (it looks more like a motel than a hotel) and while the rooms were standard and relatively clean they didn't bring a nice feeling.

The two main problems with the hotel (other than the unappealing feeling of it) are the noise and the water.
The water in the bathroom would not stay at a constant temperature changing from hot to cold all the time.
The noise is considerable. You can hear airplanes from the nearby airport, cars from the nearby freeway and anyone talking or moving outside the room. Furthermore, the cleaning crew comes and knocks on the door to see if you are there as there is no "Do not disturb" sign (not that it matters as you can't sleep late with all the noise anyway).

The maintenance of the place is not that good either. The air conditioner was noisy and didn't work too good and the internet was all but unusable.

All in all, a disappointing experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear voldan,

Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I chose this hotel as I could park my hire car there without charge and I liked the location just a few minutes walk from the Iwo Jima monument and a few minutes further to the Arlington Cemetery, from where you can access the Tourmobile bus to tour Washington and the cemetery. The sub way is also just a 10 minute walk from the hotel. We had a room at the front which had a view of the Washington monument across the river. The hotel is unpretentious but is well run, comfortable and clean. Alas no complimentary breakfasts but Ledo's Pizza next door is excellent both for breakfast and dinner. I recommend this hotel without reservation.

Dear GlobetrotterSurrey,

Roeselare, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We are currently staying here (3rd night a.t.m.) and we're glad we chose this hotel for our DC stay. The location is really top, just minutes away from everything. The rooms are really nice and there is ample parking (in front of the rooms or in the parking garage). Bathroom has both shower (seperate & big) and a bath, and two washing tables. The King bed is comfortable.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Rosslyn/Iwo Jima, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear W-Flemish-Traveler, Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to accommodating you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011 via mobile

I've always been picky about hotels (a hotel snob I guess). My budget limited my choices. Many reviews were unfavorable, after all -- I thouht -- it's a "Best Western" .... I was wrong. It is very clean (always my first consideration). The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. They found a room for me (for an extra night and gave me the online rate from the prior nights. 'Ledo Pizza' is next door and it's really good. Location is solid. It's not a "5-Star" hotel ... but I got a lot more than I expected and will come back without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear jpendell, Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at the BW, Iwo Jima with my sister for one night and I chose the hotel mainly for its location. Turns out it was a good location, close enough to the Rosslyn Metro station. The room had 2 queen beds but fairly dark - we got a room at the ground floor at the end of the walkway unfortunately. No breakfast included but had free coffee. I did not use the gym or pool (I think it had one). The staff was quite friendly. Again, the location was great to visit DC without using a car.. We drove from NJ and the entry to the hotel is somewhat hidden but not too bad. Parking is free!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Rosslyn/Iwo Jima, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear NDBNDB, Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We are currently looking into changing the level of lighting in all rooms. We look forward to accommodating you again.

Been to BEST WESTERN Rosslyn/Iwo Jima? Share your experiences!