“PLEASANTLY SURPRISED” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
VA
“PLEASANTLY SURPRISED”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

This hotel was much better than I expected. I received a nice price through TravelZoo so I was a little worried that this hotel would not be that great. But everything about it was great! The staff was very friendly and helpful. I booked a studio and found it to be very roomy and confortable. It had a really cute kitchen, a large flat-screen TV, dressing room, and bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable and we also used the pull-out sofabed which wasn't bad either. We only had the continental breakfast one morning and it was about what you would expect. The hotel is only about a ten minute walk to the Metro. They also provide a shuttle which we also used. The location is very good - right next to Arlington Cemetery and the Iwo Jima Memorial. This seemed to be a very safe location as well. We walked back from the Metro after dark a couple of times - it's very well lighted and we didn't have any problems. The hotel also provides a shuttle at 6PM each evening - they drop you off at the Safeway Grocery and return for you at 6:50 - very convenient. I received free parking with the deal through TravelZoo - not sure if this is standard.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

I stayed here for two nights after a business trip to visit Washington DC. This place is an excellent alternative to staying right in the centre for sight seeing: it's close to Rosslyn metro station which gets you quickly into heart of DC.

I booked a non refundable room about fours weeks in advance and got a great rate. If you know you're travel plans are fixed, it makes sense to do this.

The best thing about my stay here were the staff: extremely friendly and helpful. I think that makes a real difference. I was also able to check-in early (~3pm) and check-out late (~1pm) with no problems which made it much more pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, November 26, 2009
Hello there!! Thank you for your great review. We are happy that you took advantage of our advanced booking rates as it is something we are very proud of. It's great to hear our staff gave you outstanding service. It makes us proud of a job well done!! Thank you and please come back and see us.
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

We stayed at the VS for 5 night and cannot say enough good things about it. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable and the kitchen was an added plus, especially with our two boys. The view from our room was the best--no complaints what so ever! The staff was friendly, the towels were plentiful, the walk to Arlington Cementary was a pleasant walk with fabulous views of the City. I would recommend this hotel and I will stay there again. Also, the shuttle service to the Metro and Safeway store were extremely helpful, especially with children. Everything about the experience was wonderful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and I would recommend it to anyone traveling to the Washington DC area.
Our family was here for a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery, and this hotel was nice and closeby.
The best thing about this hotel was that the beds were very comfortable and the suites were spacious and had kitchenettes, where you could actually have a meal if you so desired. Our extended family was staying here and we had several rooms booked, all of which were spacious and clean. We would stay here again and I would recommend it for anyone. Plus it has free parking if you have a vehicle with you, although the subway is just a block away, (but they do have shuttle service to the station.)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Hello there!! Thank you for your positive review. We are glad we could make your stay a memorable one. We are also pleased that the package that included parking was accomodating to your needs. Please come back and see us soon. Thank you!!!
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

Three friends and I stayed here last weekend and were pleasantly surprised. We found it to be super clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and it was in a nice neighborhood. The staff recommended the Quarterdeck Restaurant up the street and it was just what we were looking for, a small informal neighborhood eatery with fresh, delicious food. Room size and layout were more than adequate. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
It's great to hear that you had a good stay. It's definately flattering to have our staff be praised as well as our hotel facilities. We enjoy the Quarterdeck too as we order food there at least once a week!! Thank you for your feedback and see you next time.
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

We were wary because the rates were so good compared to other hotels. We need not have worried. A hotel with lots of character, in a quiet, pretty neighborhood, yet convenient to everything. Our room was more than adequate with every amenity we needed. Very clean and comfortable. Every encounter with staff was a pleasant one. Adequately stocked kitchen was handy and convenient. Bed felt oh so good after long days sightseeing. Loved the cozy lobby with the fire in the fireplace. Even enjoyed the walk to the Metro on the weekend when the shuttle wasn't running. I would recommend this gem to everyone!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
fom_vsa, front office manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, January 14, 2010
Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on providing pleasant surprises to all our guests. It seems that we have succeeded!! It's wonderful that you enjoyed our rooms and took advantage of our convenient shuttle service. Come back and see us soon and take advantage of our great packages. Thank you!!
Miami, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Our bad experience began upon our arrival. The staff was very friendly and we were helped with our luggage once we arrived. I booked this hotel online and the check in was quick and easy until.......

We were given our electronic keys in a sleeve with the room number on the little box of the sleeve, which was in the 600 suite. First, both keys did not work. I checked the room number on the key sleeve and they were correct. The bell hop used his master key to open the door for us. We unpacked and I decided to go downstairs to have the room keys checked. Maybe they didn't program it correctly or they were defective. Well, I was told that I was in the incorrect room number even though the room key sleeve had the correct room number as written by the check-in clerk. I was told it was a mistake and that I needed to move to the correct room in the 400 suite. I told them that I had already unpacked everything. They would not budge or accommodate us for THEY'RE mistake. In the long run, i changed rooms since we were exhausted from the flight and I just wanted to rest and not argue.

We packed everything again and moved to the 400 suite. For the price, I don't think we got a bargain. These rooms look old and the kitchen/bathroom looked outdated. I have stayed in timeshares before and had never had a bad experience. I expected the limited kitchen to at least have all of the utensils and accessories to use the kitchen. Nothing. I had to request all of these items. The rest of the stay was status quo ( 1 week).

We traveled to Colonial Williamsburg and stayed there in a timeshare exchange for a week, and on the last day returned to the Virginian Suites before our trip home. I thought that maybe our first experience was just bad luck and maybe we would get lucky this second time around until.........

The room they set us up in had a non working a/c. We were told that someone would be right there to take a look at it. Half an hour went by, then an hour, then an hour and half. After numerous phone calls, we were told that they would change our room to another one, which was across the hall. Packed everything AGAIN! We moved to the other room and the secondary door lock was broken. I didn't feel safe, but again, after being exhausted, I just didn't want to argue. I don't know what happened to this hotel. It looked like it had potential and I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but it had to be the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

To the management: Here is a tip: If you want your guests to have a memorable experience and refer your hotel to friends/family or want return guests, acknowledge your mistakes and shortcomings and try to please them. I would have overlooked all of these negative things had you just tried to make us comfortable. I'm sorry, but I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. I hope you take this as constructive criticism and try to correct your customer service.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
Hello there:

I wanted to address a few of your issues. First and foremost we want to apologize for the inconvenience. We understand that after a long trip the last thing you want to do is have to deal with issues such as the ones mentioned. It was definately our mistake in writing the wrong room number down and, as you so clearly stated, you should not pay the price for this. We are a very flexible hotel and accomodating your needs is our priority. Unfortunately it seems as though we fell short this time. We have gone through a recent renovations and we are sorry that the room you received seemed to be worn. We value your constructive criticism and will use it to avoid this from ever happening again. We ask that you give us a second chance to make your next stay better. Best regards.