“Old hotel with awesome staff” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Maine
“Old hotel with awesome staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This hotel is within an easy walk to the mall and they have a shuttle to take you to and from the metro station even though it is only a five-minute walk. The night desk staff was so friendly. They told us about the hotels origins as an apartment building. Each room has a full kitchen. They got matches so our nephew could play with sparklers in the parking lot. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. This was a great value for the money. We walked across the mall in the daylight and at night. It was the first time I really felt I saw D.C. by going in and out of my hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Eda M, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Patricia424,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing your review. When visiting the D.C. Area staying with us is an exceptionally smart decision due to the good value for the money (like you mentioned) and also the proximity to all the DC attractions. I hope you found time to go across the street to the Iwo Jima memorial for the Sunset Parade (this happens every Tuesday during the summer). I am thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you consider our staff awesome! I also appreciate your kind comments regarding our convenient location, our spacious & clean suites, and our comfortable beds.

On behalf of our entire team we look forward to your return visit from Maine.

Warmest Regards,
Eda Marzolo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Turkish first
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

This hotel does have shuttle service to the metro. It is old but has large rooms. Breakfast and dinner is available each weekday. Many travelers stay the week. Not much else to say.
Kitchens are nice, remodeling in the rear entrance. Can hear airplanes from Reagan Airport often. They stop around midnight and start back around 6 AM.

• Stayed August 2014
Eda M, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Donald R,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing your review. I appreciate your nice comments regarding our spacious suites. I am glad to hear that you took advantage of our daily $6/person breakfast and our catered buffet dinners (we offer those every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday for $12/person). I sure do hope that you joined us during our weekly Pizza Party where we offer complimentary pizza and soft drinks for all our guests (on Wednesdays).

I would like to have the opportunity to make your next stay with us be more than just "okay". Please e-mail me directly with any future reservations so that my team and I can work hard to make sure your next stay is flawless.

We look forward to your return visit!

Warm Regards,
emarzolo@virginiansuites.com
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I took my wife to see Lion King at the Kennedy Center and did not want to drive home after the show so I reserved a room at the Virginian Suites, Arlington. The Virginian Suites is located in VA beside of the Marine Corps Memorial just over Theodore Roosevelt Bridge the Kennedy Center. It could not be any more convenient to DC & the Kennedy Center. With my Choice Privileges card the room was $134 per night + tax Aug 2014. The next nearer hotels were in DC at $200+tx. There was plenty of parking lot self parking for only $12. The DC parking was more expensive + there was tipping the valet in DC. I saved over $100 an night and had a larger room than I was offered in DC. The hotel is an older building, but the rooms have been updated. We had a full kitchen with a full sized stove, fridge, microwave, toaster, etc. There was a welcome basket of snacks in the room. The queen bed was a comfortable pillow top. There was a large dressing table and well lit mirror, lighting is important after you are past 65 years old. The TV was a recent LCD unit with more channels than I can count. The breakfast was fruit, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, high end microwave oatmeal, breakfast sandwiches, and waffles and the usual continental stuff. Certainly adequate, but not a full hot breakfast, however the price was right, free with the Privileges card. My wife and I were very pleased with the hotel, the location, and the service. Plenty of great coffee in the lobby and at breakfast. The down side is the lobby is not handicap accessible and I never found a TV guide in the room. We will definitenly stay there again.

Room Tip: Great price for a full suite with a full kitchen. Saw a lot of military officers staying here as it...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Eda M, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Bruce L,
On behalf of all of us here at the Virginian Suites I would like to thank you and your wife for staying with us and for writing this excellent review! I am thrilled to hear that you found our location convenient and our prices affordable. I am also happy to learn that you noticed and appreciated the little touches. If I remember correctly, I had a conversation a few nights ago with a sharp looking couple that lived in the area who stayed with us to attend the Lion King at the Kennedy Center. I don't think that was you because that couple did not look a day over 35 :). I do hope you enjoyed Lion King.
Please contact me directly with any future reservations so that my team and I can make sure your next stay is as flawless as the previous one. And we will, of course, make sure there is a TV guide in your room next time.

It was a pleasure having you as our guests and we look forward to your return visit!

Warmest regards,
emarzolo@virginiansuites.com
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I don't know if we got the only room that did not look anything like the pictures online but our room was tired and dated. Our furniture was from the 90's. The only updated part was the bathroom. The carpet was torn at entry, the hallways were on the dark side. The lobby was nice and modern, not sure what happened to our room. Disappointed when we saw it. Should have asked if they were all like that but after a 9 hour drive and arriving in rush hour traffic I did not think of that.

Pros. Despite tired furniture and carpet the linen was clean and the bathroom was too. The shower curtain and towels looked new. Close walk to metro, short metro ride into DC, nice staff, cheap parking, free shuttle to and from metro on weekdays, decent price if booked early. There is a pool but we did not use or look at it. The kitchen was functional. Free WiFi was nice. Near Arlington Cemetery.

Con's: Old furniture, sagging mattress, torn carpet, dim hallways. They painted the trim and did not protect the carpet. Maybe they are getting ready to change it out. They needed to provide what they advertised. Not really a con, but it looked like there are some apartments within the building. You can hear airplanes taking off but not too disturbing because they quit flying around 11pm and the air conditioner drowned out the noise.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Eda M, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
JKloves2travel,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with this valuable feedback. I appreciate all your kind comments regarding our convenient location, our nice staff, the free Wi-Fi and our affordable suite and parking prices. However, I have read your review carefully and I would like to apologize for not being able to exceed your expectations. You are correct, we are in the process of upgrading all the carpets in the hotel. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a superior experience in your future travels. Please contact me directly with any future reservations so that my team and I can place you in a suite that is 100% to your satisfaction.

We look forward to your return visit.

Warm regards,
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My Wife and I were in Virginia on vacation to visit Washington DC. The hotel rooms unfortunately are old and broken down. It looks like they are working on upgrades, but for now, beware. The air-conditioning is wall units and loud. They kick on and off constantly which is bad when trying to listen to the TV, but during the night, it seemed to work as white noise and we slept pretty good.
We booked this room through Interval International and they listed it as a 1 bedroom with a Queen bed. When we checked in, it was 2 double beds. We were told that this hotel only had 2 doubles, or a King in the 1 bedroom configuration and a queen only in the studio. We contacted Diamond Resorts and Interval International and we were offered another room after 2 days (DI and II were not available over the weekend). So we moved to a room that had a king bed but that room was not available earlier because it was being renovated (at least I hope that was the reason). I say that because it needed even more work than the first room we had.
Everything is quite a walk (probably 1/2 mile) from the apartment and after all the walking we did all day visiting museums and monuments it was a long walk back.
There is a shuttle to the Metro which we took advantage of regularly and runs most of the day and afternoon.
The pool area seemed nice and even had a lifeguard on duty and the fitness room had a few of the normal items we didn't use them, so there is no comment on the condition.
The desk clerks were very informative and helpful.
The hotel was in a fairly good location for us, but I can't recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Eda M, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Mr. 007John,
Thank you for staying with us during your DC vacation and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My family and I were in Virginia on vacation to visit Washington DC. The hotel unfortunately did not live up to what in claimed on the site. The rooms although nice size were subpar. The tub took hours to empty. Plumbing very old and in need of updating. The carpet in the room was nasty and in need of a good start cleaning or repalcing. This was obviously a old apartment/dorm rooms however they should have did major upgrades on this property.

• Stayed March 2014
Mickey S,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to thank you for staying with us and for writing your review. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your recent trip. We hope that you will give us another chance.

Warm regards,
Brookline, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Poor accessibility - cab got lost trying to find it. Slow, disorganized front desk. All in shabby condition - elevators slow, crowded; halls unswept; rooms noisy. At least rooms are a bit large, with semi-functional furnishings. Walk to Metro OK. Not much in neighborhood re restaurants, esp., a little late. Breakfast included - everything in packages (nothing fresh).

Room Tip: HIgher floors probably better - but then even longer wait on elevators.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Virginian Suites Arlington? Share your experiences!