“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Overall it was a great stay. I'll start with the positives. The room was wonderful. The bed was extremely comfortable with a pillow top mattress. There was a dressing room, two closets,dresser, and a full kitchen with a stove and full size refrigerator. It was fully stocked with pots/pans, dishes, even down to salt and pepper. There was a full size desk and a sitting room with a couch, coffee table, and TV. It was very clean and comfortable. The location was close to the city and a 10 minute walk to the metro and Arlington Cemetery. A 5 minute walk gave us a view of the Washington Monument where we watched the fireworks on the 4th of July. The front desk was very accommodating in calling a taxi and cost was minimal to get a ride to the metro ($6). It is only a 10 minute or less ride to the monuments and the metro runs every 12 minutes.
Negatives - hotel charges $12 a day for parking (not mentioned on website). If you are handicapped you can't get to the front desk from the front entrance (but you can park near the ramp behind the hotel and come down the elevator. You can't wheel a cart to the front door to unload since there are several steps so you have to carry your bags up the steps to the cart. Breakfast was "ok" but the only coffee choice is french roast, food choices other than fruit were mostly packaged fare and I think there is a charge if you are not a Choice customer (I heard someone say they paid but I am a Choice Rewards member). There are no ice machines, you have to empty the provided ice cube trays in your freezer and refill (I had forgotten how hard they are to twist and empty since I have an ice maker at home).

Room Tip: 3rd floor is where breakfast is, the fitness room, and pool. Higher floors have a better chance of...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Eda M, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Sharon L,

On behalf of all of us at the Virginian Suites I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write your review. I am very happy to hear that overall your experience with us was great. I appreciate your nice comments about our accommodating Front Desk Team, convenient location and wonderful rooms. Compared to other hotels in the area, our parking prices are very reasonable, however, I would like to apologize that we didn't inform you of that charge at check in. Please email me with more details so that I can make sure I remove those charges from your bill. As far as the ice machines go, it is true that we don't have them on the floors for our guests to use, however we are more than happy to bring you ice buckets to your room at your request.
Please contact me directly with any future reservations so that my team and I can make sure we provide you with a superior experience next time you stay with us.

Warm regards,
emarzolo@virginiansuites.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
St. Francisville, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Just let me list the positives:
-Excellent location and value
-Excellent and helpful staff
-Roomy and comfortable suites with well-stocked full kitchens
-Great breakfast
-Nice exercise room and pool area
I don't think you can go wrong staying at The Virginian. It is an older hotel and they have done a great job keeping it updated with the modern conveniences. If there was one thing that I would change, it is that I wish that the shuttle to the Rosslyn Metro station would run over the weekend, at least once or twice an hour. Other than that, great place! Would stay there again without any qualms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Felicianawanderer,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I am thrilled to hear that your recent stay at the Virginian Suites, Arlington was excellent! I appreciate your kind comments regarding our excellent location and value, helpful staff as well as our spacious and comfortable suites and our tasty breakfast selection. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our exercise room and pool area. I understand and like your suggestion about the shuttle on the weekends. Even though it is only a short walk to the metro, I know it is very convenient to have the shuttle available. This is something we are working on and hopefully very soon we will have it available on the weekends, as well.

On behalf of everyone at the Virginian Suites we look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed few nights there and let me tell you it was amazing. When we checked in we got offered a upgraded family suite free of charge which was quite the pleasant suprise. The location was very good too, it was less than 20 minutes to Washington via train. To get to the subway there was free shuttle bus which was provided from the hotel. Also the room service was very good. There was also complimentary breakfast provided too. A gym & a pool was provided for the fitness fanatics. When we asked to book a taxi to the airport hotel staff booked a limousine, which was expensive for us, which was bit dissapointing. Overall very satisfied with the stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mathisha D,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing your review. I am delighted to hear that you were satisfied with your stay for the most part. I am happy to hear that we were able to upgrade you at no additional charge. I appreciate your comments regarding our convenient location, the complimentary shuttle and the cleanliness of your suite provided during your daily housekeeping service.
I would like to personally make sure that next time you stay with us we provide you with superior service. Please contact me directly with any future reservations so that my team and I can make sure we exceed your expectations on your next visit and every visit that will follow.

We look forward to your return visit!

Best wishes,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We decided to stay at the Virginian on our recent family vacation to Washington DC. We chose this hotel for a few reasons, but mostly because it seemed like a good value for the amenities offered in comparison to some other options in town, which were a bit pricey. We booked a King Suite as well as a Queen suite. The King was very well appointed with plenty of room; however, the 2 Queen was lacking in space. The 2 Queen room offered the small galley kitchen space, desk, TV on small dresser, pull out couch and the two beds. There was no eating table, and only about 4 hangers in the closet.
There are some things you will want to consider before booking this hotel:
1. Transportation: The Metro (bus or subway), taxi or your personal car is the only way to get into the city. Yes, there is a shuttle to and from the Metro Station; however, it does not run 24/7. Actually it runs until about 2 in the afternoon, then it doesn't run again until 4:30. If you plan to take an evening monument tour, or get to/from the metro on off hours, you will need to get your own transportation or walk back to the hotel. The walk from the station is hilly and 15-20 minutes for someone who is not in the best shape or likes to walk at a slower pace. You will have to pay a fee for both the bus and the metro. I would not suggest taking your first trip on the metro during rush hour.
2. Location: The location of this hotel seems ideal due to it's proximity to the Iwo Jima Memorial and Arlington, but those are about the only things it is close to, unless you are interested in going to Ft. Meyer. The other tourist sites are not within walking distance. Metro will take you to Union Station where most bus tours start and is about a 20 minute ride.
3. Amenities: The hotel has a pool, which is nice, but the area is at the back of the hotel which seemed to be under construction and possibly the smoking area. There is also a work out room that seemed to be fairly complete. Breakfast is offered at a steep fee of $6/adult/day. Breakfast offerings were cold cereal cups, yogurt, oatmeal cups, bagels and muffins or frozen breakfast sandwiches. There is apparently a catered meal some evenings during the week which can be purchased for $12. Breakfast and catered meals are not advertised by the staff at check in or by posters in the building or elevators. Actually, the only food item that we were told about is the seafood restaurant shown on the hotel's map given to us a check in. The way they pushed it on us I am sure they got some type of kick back for advertising.

We asked several different questions of hotel staff and didn't get 'personal' responses, rather only one or two phrases in an annoyed tone of voice. They seemed to cater to business professionals who had car services, taxis or were used to using their own cars rather than tourists. This hotel could benefit from a concierge to help answer questions about tours, transportation and tickets...especially monument tickets that are free, but have to be picked up at the location early in the morning.
It would have been nice if there would have been information about the breakfast and evening meals on the sheet we were provided at check in, as we didn't find out about any of that until mid-week.
We did have a maintenance issue while we were there and were amazed at the responsiveness of the maintenance staff after having a more negative experience with the front desk staff.
Housekeeping sometimes didn't get to the rooms until late in the afternoon, but that was not a problem for us.
Mt. Vernon is about 30 minutes away, Annapolis is 30 minutes away, Alexandria is about 20 minutes away by car. There is a mall with the big food court close by as well as a Panera in the Rosslyn Metro Station. Go to the grocery before you get into the city, as prices at the Safeway are quite high.
We would consider staying at the Virginian again; however, we wouldn't consider the kitchen facilities or location to be amenities.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear familyvaca4,
Thank you for staying with us and for this helpful review. I have carefully read your review and I am delighted to hear that our maintenance team was very responsive and that you found the value to be excellent. Our goal is to provide you with an excellent experience at a competitive price and convenient location. I am sorry and very disappointed to hear that we didn't deliver the best guest service experience that you and your family deserve. I will personally make sure that this issue is addressed and fixed immediately.
Please email me directly with more details about your stay so that I can have the opportunity to redeem the situation.

On behalf of all of us at the Virginian Suites we look forward to your return visit and the opportunity to provide you with a superior experience in the near future.

Stanhope, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed at this property recently. The rooms were fabulous. They were Comfortable and well appointed. Service by the front desk and house keeping was also excellent. And the best feature is it's convenience to downtown Washington, DC. It is located about 2 blocks from the US Marine Corps Memorial. This property offers great value. My only disappointment is that since they apparently do not have a full kitchen the breakfasts did not include hot meal offerings such as eggs and breakfast meats But this is only a minor issue when compared to what else the property offers.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mr. Jack M,
Thank you so much for this excellent review on your recent stay at the Virginian Suites, Arlington. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your comments regarding our convenient location, great value and the attentiveness of our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff.

On behalf of all of us here at the Virginian Suites, we look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Warm wishes,
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

PROS:
Price is good for area. Large rooms; great for family visiting DC area. Had a kitchen in my room. Shuttle ran to and from Rosslyn metro.

CONS:
Seems to be an old apartment building converted to hotel; hence the kitchen within the room. It was rather old and needed some updating. Room was decent, but noticed an outlet falling into the wall cavity and cool breeze flowing around the window seal. Staff was average, but one girl gave me the wrong stop/pick-up location of metro shuttle. She seemed half asleep or just hated working at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Beardedbeauty,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Virginian Suites, Arlington. I am happy to hear that you found our suites to be very suitable for families. I also appreciate your kind comments regarding the spaciousness of our suites, the good value and the shuttle services. However, I am disappointed to hear that we did not provide you with superior guest service as that is one of our main goals. Please contact me directly with any future reservations as well as with more details about your experience with the shuttle pick up location so that I can redeem that situation to your satisfaction.

We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I usually don't write reviews unless the experience was either very, very good or very, very bad. I stayed with a friend at The Virginian Suites for a week by mid June and I have to share the fact that the whole experience exceeded my expectations. Not only were they welcoming and friendly while checking us in, but the whole staff was polite, sympathetic and customer service oriented throughout the stay. The suite was sharp and detailed. The location is excellent, next to the core of DC's highlights. I will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Isabel_A0425,
Wow! Thank you for your excellent feedback regarding your recent stay at the Virginian Suites! I am thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your visit and that our team was very attentive, welcoming friendly and polite. I also appreciate your kind comments regarding our convenient location and sharp & detailed suites.

On behalf of our team we look forward to your return visit!

Eda Marzolo

Been to Virginian Suites Arlington? Share your experiences!