“Consider Transportation Options” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
“Consider Transportation Options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We decided to stay at the Virginian on our recent family vacation to Washington DC. We chose this hotel for a few reasons, but mostly because it seemed like a good value for the amenities offered in comparison to some other options in town, which were a bit pricey. We booked a King Suite as well as a Queen suite. The King was very well appointed with plenty of room; however, the 2 Queen was lacking in space. The 2 Queen room offered the small galley kitchen space, desk, TV on small dresser, pull out couch and the two beds. There was no eating table, and only about 4 hangers in the closet.
There are some things you will want to consider before booking this hotel:
1. Transportation: The Metro (bus or subway), taxi or your personal car is the only way to get into the city. Yes, there is a shuttle to and from the Metro Station; however, it does not run 24/7. Actually it runs until about 2 in the afternoon, then it doesn't run again until 4:30. If you plan to take an evening monument tour, or get to/from the metro on off hours, you will need to get your own transportation or walk back to the hotel. The walk from the station is hilly and 15-20 minutes for someone who is not in the best shape or likes to walk at a slower pace. You will have to pay a fee for both the bus and the metro. I would not suggest taking your first trip on the metro during rush hour.
2. Location: The location of this hotel seems ideal due to it's proximity to the Iwo Jima Memorial and Arlington, but those are about the only things it is close to, unless you are interested in going to Ft. Meyer. The other tourist sites are not within walking distance. Metro will take you to Union Station where most bus tours start and is about a 20 minute ride.
3. Amenities: The hotel has a pool, which is nice, but the area is at the back of the hotel which seemed to be under construction and possibly the smoking area. There is also a work out room that seemed to be fairly complete. Breakfast is offered at a steep fee of $6/adult/day. Breakfast offerings were cold cereal cups, yogurt, oatmeal cups, bagels and muffins or frozen breakfast sandwiches. There is apparently a catered meal some evenings during the week which can be purchased for $12. Breakfast and catered meals are not advertised by the staff at check in or by posters in the building or elevators. Actually, the only food item that we were told about is the seafood restaurant shown on the hotel's map given to us a check in. The way they pushed it on us I am sure they got some type of kick back for advertising.

We asked several different questions of hotel staff and didn't get 'personal' responses, rather only one or two phrases in an annoyed tone of voice. They seemed to cater to business professionals who had car services, taxis or were used to using their own cars rather than tourists. This hotel could benefit from a concierge to help answer questions about tours, transportation and tickets...especially monument tickets that are free, but have to be picked up at the location early in the morning.
It would have been nice if there would have been information about the breakfast and evening meals on the sheet we were provided at check in, as we didn't find out about any of that until mid-week.
We did have a maintenance issue while we were there and were amazed at the responsiveness of the maintenance staff after having a more negative experience with the front desk staff.
Housekeeping sometimes didn't get to the rooms until late in the afternoon, but that was not a problem for us.
Mt. Vernon is about 30 minutes away, Annapolis is 30 minutes away, Alexandria is about 20 minutes away by car. There is a mall with the big food court close by as well as a Panera in the Rosslyn Metro Station. Go to the grocery before you get into the city, as prices at the Safeway are quite high.
We would consider staying at the Virginian again; however, we wouldn't consider the kitchen facilities or location to be amenities.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Eda M, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear familyvaca4,
Thank you for staying with us and for this helpful review. I have carefully read your review and I am delighted to hear that our maintenance team was very responsive and that you found the value to be excellent. Our goal is to provide you with an excellent experience at a competitive price and convenient location. I am sorry and very disappointed to hear that we didn't deliver the best guest service experience that you and your family deserve. I will personally make sure that this issue is addressed and fixed immediately.
Please email me directly with more details about your stay so that I can have the opportunity to redeem the situation.

On behalf of all of us at the Virginian Suites we look forward to your return visit and the opportunity to provide you with a superior experience in the near future.

emarzolo@virginiansuites.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
Stanhope, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed at this property recently. The rooms were fabulous. They were Comfortable and well appointed. Service by the front desk and house keeping was also excellent. And the best feature is it's convenience to downtown Washington, DC. It is located about 2 blocks from the US Marine Corps Memorial. This property offers great value. My only disappointment is that since they apparently do not have a full kitchen the breakfasts did not include hot meal offerings such as eggs and breakfast meats But this is only a minor issue when compared to what else the property offers.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mr. Jack M,
Thank you so much for this excellent review on your recent stay at the Virginian Suites, Arlington. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your comments regarding our convenient location, great value and the attentiveness of our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff.

On behalf of all of us here at the Virginian Suites, we look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Warm wishes,
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

PROS:
Price is good for area. Large rooms; great for family visiting DC area. Had a kitchen in my room. Shuttle ran to and from Rosslyn metro.

CONS:
Seems to be an old apartment building converted to hotel; hence the kitchen within the room. It was rather old and needed some updating. Room was decent, but noticed an outlet falling into the wall cavity and cool breeze flowing around the window seal. Staff was average, but one girl gave me the wrong stop/pick-up location of metro shuttle. She seemed half asleep or just hated working at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Beardedbeauty,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Virginian Suites, Arlington. I am happy to hear that you found our suites to be very suitable for families. I also appreciate your kind comments regarding the spaciousness of our suites, the good value and the shuttle services. However, I am disappointed to hear that we did not provide you with superior guest service as that is one of our main goals. Please contact me directly with any future reservations as well as with more details about your experience with the shuttle pick up location so that I can redeem that situation to your satisfaction.

We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I usually don't write reviews unless the experience was either very, very good or very, very bad. I stayed with a friend at The Virginian Suites for a week by mid June and I have to share the fact that the whole experience exceeded my expectations. Not only were they welcoming and friendly while checking us in, but the whole staff was polite, sympathetic and customer service oriented throughout the stay. The suite was sharp and detailed. The location is excellent, next to the core of DC's highlights. I will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Isabel_A0425,
Wow! Thank you for your excellent feedback regarding your recent stay at the Virginian Suites! I am thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your visit and that our team was very attentive, welcoming friendly and polite. I also appreciate your kind comments regarding our convenient location and sharp & detailed suites.

On behalf of our team we look forward to your return visit!

Hiram
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed here June 1st to the 4th. The front desk and housekeeping staff were wonderful. Room was clean and spacious. The location was great and the shuttle was very helpful and convenient.I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Eda M, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Sable1311,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you found our staff to be wonderful! I appreciate your kind comments regarding our clean and spacious suites, our convenient location and our complimentary shuttle services.

On behalf of all of us here at the Virginian Suites, we look forward to your return visit.

Kindest regards,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I booked this hotel because it was the best price I could find at this time. I came for a business trip and was looking for a place close to DC that had many amenities. Overall it was only okay but I don't think I would stay here again. I also had high expectations coming in after reading all the reviews and seeing all the pictures beforehand but they under performed in comparison to all of that hype. There are some positives so that I'm not super negative about the entire thing.
Pros:
Nice size room
Very close to downtown DC
Comfortable bed
Offer a shuttle
Free coffee
Has kitchen

Cons:
Needs many updates overall to the whole hotel especially the rooms
When I first walked into my room it smelled funny
Floors needs to be cleaned better
They shouldn't make you pay $6 for breakfast when it's just cereal and bagels
Overall didn't feel clean
Shady maintenance/package delivery guys working in the building...if anyone other than the front desk randomly asks for your room # don't tell them! If there's no reason for them to know they shouldn't be asking. The hotel should run through privacy policies with their employees.

I travel often for work and I'm comparing this to many other hotels that I've stayed at (I don't stay at fancy ones either). If they tighten it up a bit and take some time in doing some clean up (even clean up the bad paint jobs) it could be so much better. If a family is looking for a good value and aren't too picky then they would be fine with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
mmzz0013,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing your review. I appreciate your nice comments about the spaciousness of our suites, the convenience of our location and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the free coffee and comfortable beds. However, I am disappointed to hear that we didn't exceed your expectations during your stay. I appreciate your feedback regarding the issues you encountered and will make sure they get addressed immediately. It is only through feedback like yours that we can continue to improve our product and services.

Kindly contact me directly with any future reservations so that I can make sure your next stay with us is flawless.

Victoria, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Karen Taylor is one of the best hotel staff personnel I've every had the pleasure to do business with. There was a few hiccups in our reservation and Karen handle it with a smile and very quickly. The hotel offers free shuttles to the Metro, which makes sightseeing a breeze. They also offer a nice breakfast buffet. The room was open, quite and had fantastic air condition. The beds are comfy but the pull out sofa bed was not the best but with a brief conversation with Karen she recommended and had a rollaway sent to the room. This hotel staff is very traveler friendly and makes your stay wonderful! Would stay again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Eda M, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Patricia M
Thank you very much for writing us such a great review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel. Our entire team would like to thank you for selecting our Hotel from among others in the area. We are glad that Karen was able to solve all the little issues that you have experienced. Our team will continue to provide outstanding service to all our Guests as you have experienced. We hope to welcome you soon to our Hotel in the near future.

Been to Virginian Suites Arlington? Share your experiences!