“Its a 3 at best !! I will tell you why” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Ottawa
“Its a 3 at best !! I will tell you why”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Im usually not very picky and can sleep most anywhere, but i do like value for my money. At $150 plus a night i definately got rippd off. This hotel is stuck in the 80's from the minute you walk in. The halls give a hint as to what the room will be like. I had a queen suitewith a pullout, again 'time warp' comes to mind !!! The kitchen was ,extremely small and very outdated.
The shower was pathetic, the pool was.....old, the exercize and mens change room was very oitdated. Ok enough, i think you get the picture.
On the plus side : its location is literally a 1 minute to the Iwo Jimo memorial where the Silent Marine Guard does thier thing, an amazing show, so go see it,but get there at 1.5 hrs early or you wont get a good spot. Bring a chair or blanket as there is no seating .

The hotel also offers Shuttle which run very often to the Rosslyn Centre Metro station.
Your money couldbe better spent at a more modern hotel .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Greetings, and thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Virginian Suites Arlington. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel, as well as the complimentary shuttle that can take you from the hotel to the Rosslyn Metro station. However, I am saddened to hear that you feel you didn't get value from your stay.

We have actually been recently renovated, so I am shocked to hear that the hotel had an outdated feel for you. Other guests have given us great compliments on the hotel's new look. You mentioned that the shower was pathetic, I apologize for any issues you may have had; I hope our engineering staff was able to assist you in some way to solve the problem. Also, our guests really enjoy the fitness center and the outdoor pool, I'm sorry that these amenities didn't appeal to you during your time with us.

I do hope that if you decide to come back to the DC area some day, that you give us another chance. If you would like to discuss your stay with us, or are considering the possibility of a future reservation, please give us a call at 703-522-9600. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you at the Virginian Suites Arlington.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was in Washington DC this april holidaying with my husband. We book this hotel from expedia.co.in as we found a cheaper than the hotels in areas like foggy bottom etc. We were surprisingly pleased with what we had got. The hotel room was huge for the 2 of us with full kitchenette. We didnt really use it as we were only staying for 1 night at the place. The hotel was 5-6 mins walking from the metro station and jus 5 stops away from the Independence Avenue so we were very well connected to the city centre. Only negative aspect was not enough of vergetarian food joints around the hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hello to you, and thank you for the nice review! We appreciate your great comments on the size of our suites, as well as our location. It is a shame that you were only with us for one night, that means you'll have to come back! That way, you can also take advantage of using the kitchen in the suite as well. Our location is great, especially since we are so close to the local Metro stop and some of DC's most well known attractions! My apologies that there wasn't a good selection of vegetarian restaurants in the area, I hope you were able to find a suitable alternative near the hotel. Again, thank you for your review, and we hope to hear from you again at the Virginian Suites Arlington!
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

For the money, the Virginian Suites was excellent. The front desk upon check-in was very friendly. We "upgraded" to a larger room when we booked and it was well worth the money. The kitchen(ette) is nothing to write home about, but the furnishings were up to date, the building and hallways were well lit and clean. We had a family in the room next door and could hear their conversations through the bathroom vent in the morning -- that was the only issue we had. $12 cab ride from DCA makes this the perfect place to fly-in/fly-out.

On a peculiar note, we "pre-paid" for our booking using the Choice Hotels corporate site, but did not see a charge on our card until 2 days after checkout.

Room Tip: Spend the little extra money to get a larger room, upper floors had good views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello there, and thank you for the great review! I'm glad to hear that our accommodations worked out very well for your stay. We appreciate your nice comments regarding our front desk staff at check in and the cleanliness of your suite as well. Our suites have recently been renovated, thank you for noticing! Also, the larger suites work very well for families that stay with us, or if you want something a little more special for your stay, so it's great that you decided to do the upgrade. Thanks again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Virginian Suites Arlington!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I was in area to do some casual sightseeing. Hotel has a great location to DC without the downtown madness! My room was unexpectedly LARGE as apparently the building was once apartments. I know that I could not have found any room that size in DC without having to find a second job to pay for it. Rooms are very clean and they have a terrific staff. THANK YOU!

Room Tip: The hotel has a shuttle to the DC Metro Station!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Hello, thanks for your visit to the Virginian Suites! Our hotel is perfect for sightseeing, we are just minutes away from DC without the hassle of actually being downtown. Plus, we are so close to sights such as the Marine Corps Memorial and Georgetown, as well as public transportation (the Rosslyn Metro station), that it is very much worth it to stay here! As you said, our hotel used to be an apartment building, so that is where all the space comes from. We also appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness of the rooms, as well as the kind words for our staff. Thank you again, and please keep us in mind for your next visit!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Such an amazing experience staying here for 3 nights while in DC. The service from the moment I arrived until I left was really top notch. The room was spacious and had really great closet space, a really comfortable bed and a pretty nice bathroom. The mini bar was fully stocked with a lot of essentials! It is in a great location and pretty much at the heart of Arlington!

I would for sure add this place to my list to stay when back in DC area !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Greetings to you, and thank you for your review on our hotel, the Virginian Suites! It is nice to hear that you had an amazing experience in DC, and that we added to it. We pride ourselves on guest service, and having such a great product and location helps too! I'm glad that you enjoyed your suite, we always get a lot of compliments on the beds. It sounds like our hotel was perfect for your stay! Please give us a call back when you want to return to DC. Thanks again, we look forward to hearing from you again soon at the Virginian Suites!
Springboro, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Like madmatthew, we were there for the same wedding. The hotel is VERY convenient to all of DC and northern Virginia. There is ample parking, large rooms and a nice lobby. The free breakfast was typical of most hotels and always plentiful. The hotel was very clean but could use some updates. We think it was converted from apartments or from a retirement home. We are hotel snobs and would stay there again, solely based on the cleanliness. Thanks Virginian Suites!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello there, and thanks for your kind words on the Virginian Suites! I'm glad to hear that you (along with your friend madmatthew) were able to enjoy the hotel for your wedding party. Our location works out great, whether you are here for business or pleasure. You are right in the fact that our hotel used to be an apartment complex, that's why there's so much parking and space in the suites! I'm glad that the wedding party was able to enjoy our continental breakfast during the stay as well. Normally there is a cost to the breakfast, but your group was able to have it included with the price. Also, thanks for your compliment on the cleanliness of the hotel, I'll be sure to pass that on to our staff. Thanks again for your visit, and we hope to see you again soon!
detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were attending a wedding over Memorial Day weekend on the grounds of the Jefferson Memorial, with a reception to follow at the Top of the Town reception hall a block from this hotel. So this was the official suggested hotel for the wedding, so we stayed here. Given Washington hotel prices I thought this was an excellent value for around $120 a night. We got a spacious room with a queen bed, walk-in closet, couch, upholstered chair, large desk and desk chair, and a full kitchen -- full size refrigerator, four-burner stove, oven, microwave, sink, and all necessary utensils. The view wasn't much -- despite being on the 9th floor, all we couild see was trees. (The hotel is built into a hill, so the entrance on the back of the hotel is the 4th floor.) The room was scrupulously clean. Big flat planel TV with good selection of channels. So-so water pressure and as others have noted it takes a few minutes for the water to get really hot. Didn't use the small exercise room. Outdoor pool was scheduled to open Memorial Day, the day we checked out. Location was very convenient, walking distance to Arlington Cemetery, the Iwo Jima memorial, and Rosslyn's business district (BAE, etc.). It's a quick 10 minute walk to the Rosslyn Metro station, which takes you quickly to all the National Mall tourist attractions. Good crab shack style restaurant called the Quarterdeck just up the hill behind the hotel, a five minute walk (there's a good convenience store there too to stock up your room). We would definitely stay here again for a DC visit (especially since hotels close to the National Mall run $300-$400 a night). My only complaint was that it was Memorial Day weekend, when tends of thousands of Harley riders converge on DC for something called Rolling Thunder, and they started firing up their obnoxiously loud bikes at 6:30 or 7 in the morning...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Greetings to you, and thanks for the great comments on your stay at the Virginian Suites Arlington! It sounds like our hotel was the perfect venue for you and your wedding party guests. I had heard from one of your guests about the wedding taking place at the Jefferson Memorial, I bet that was a beautiful setting! That memorial is one of my favorite places in DC, you are more than welcome to send us pictures if you'd like!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your suite, like you stated they are a great size for both short term and long term stays. Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the cleanliness of the suite, our housekeeping staff does everything they can to ensure you are comfortable during your stay. My apologies that you had some issues with the water pressure and temperature, I hope our engineering staff was able to fix those for you! Also, I love our location, especially since we are so close to the Metro, and some of DC's best memorials, restaurants, and shops!

I am sorry that you were disturbed by some motorcycle noise during your visit. We are a popular destination for Rolling Thunder on Memorial Day weekend, so we get a large amount of motorcycle riders that stay with us during that time period. I know they had to get up early on Sunday morning to start the rally at the Pentagon, I hope that the additional noise didn't distract you from your amazing wedding weekend!

Thanks again for your great review, and we are looking forward to your next visit here at the Virginian Suites.

Been to Virginian Suites Arlington? Share your experiences!