“Big rooms, good location but rather threadbare” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #15 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Molokai, Hawaii
“Big rooms, good location but rather threadbare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Virginian Suites are in a great location in Rosslyn, close to the Metro (10 minute walk) and to many of the shops and restaurants in this DC suburb. The rooms are big. Mine had a separate kitchen and even came equipped with things like an iron and ironing board. That said, this hotel is in serious need of an upgrade. My room had multiple cigarette burns in the carpet—interesting since it is advertised as a no-smoking premises. My mattress was old and saggy. The television didn’t work and the Internet was substandard in terms of speed and bandwidth (it was so primitive I couldn’t get Netflix to stream a movie). I also should point out that housekeeping didn’t arrive until almost 5:00 p.m. (an aggravation) and the rooms facing the highway are very, very noisy. I do want to note that the property was very clean and the front desk staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful. So, a mixed bag. I rated it "average" but could easily see a "poor" rating. I thought the cleanliness and the good front desk staff bumped it up just a bit.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room that does not face the highway
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Greetings to you, and thank you for your review on the Virginian Suites. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel, as well as the cleanliness of the building and the friendliness of our front desk staff. I am sorry to hear that there were other aspects of your stay that you did not care for. You are correct in the fact that we are a non-smoking property; however, we do get some guests from time to time that break the rules and when they do, they are fined for whatever damage they have caused with smoking. Also, my apologies for the delay with your housekeeping service, as well as your television not working. The managers of those respective departments are aware of these problems and are working to fix them. Options for fast internet is something that our management is currently looking at, we are definitely aware of how important a good internet connection is for our guests.

If you would like to discuss these issues further, you are more than welcome to give me a call at the hotel (703-522-9600, ask for Brittany the Guest Services Manager).

I do hope that you consider coming back to us for a future stay! We look forward to hearing from you here at the Virginian Suites.

518 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Turkish first
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I loved the Virginian Suites and will be staying here during all my visits to the DC area! The room was great(one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in)and huge. It was great having the fridge and microwave, and they provided a daily shuttle that would take you to the local Safeway to get groceries then bring you back. The shuttle also provided a ride the the Rosslyn Metro station if you wanted, but it's only a 10 minute walk at the most. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful also :) Can't wait until my next visit!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Greetings to you, and thank you for your recent visit to the Virginian Suites of Arlington! Just like you, our guests seem to comment the most on the large size of the suites! They are great for all stays, whether you're by yourself, with family, long term, short term, etc. And yes, others have also stated how comfortable the beds are! I'm glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary hotel shuttle service that we provide, it really is useful for grocery runs and trips to the Metro. Also, thank you for the nice comments on our staff, they aim to please so it makes me happy that you and other guests notice their hospitality. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon at the Virginian Suites!
Williamstown, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed in the Virginian Suites with my family for a couple days in April - we were visiting DC. The separate bedroom/living room/eating space/kitchen make it an ideal place for people with children. There was plenty of space for all of us (family of 5) - everything was clean and high quality. The hotel is also in a great location. It's only a half mile walk to the Rosslyn metro station and the hotel also offers a free shuttle every 10 minutes or so to the metro stop. The best part of our stay was the customer service. Our needs were taken care of during our stay and afterwards. I forgot a jacket and a pair of shoes in our room and called a week later to inquire about them. Jose, the executive housekeeper, immediately located my items, got my information and sent them to me with no charge. He was professional, polite and a joy to work with. I will spread the word far and wide about this place - we will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello to you and your family, I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Virginian Suites! As you indicated, our suites are very spacious, which is perfect for a family stay. The location helps a lot as well, especially since we are so close to public transportation and the sights of DC! Also, thank you for the amazing comments regarding our housekeeping staff. I am happy that they were able to locate your lost items, and that Jose assisted in the delivery of them to your home. I agree that he, as well as the rest of our housekeeping staff, is very professional and a pleasure to work with. We can't wait to have you and your family stay with us again! Thank you for visiting the Virginian Suites of Arlington.
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We travel to the DC area frequently to visit family, and this is our home away from home. Sure, it has warts -- the decor is dated, it can be noisy, drains can run slowly, and sometimes things don't work -- but the price and location are PHENOMENAL. We walk or take buses to all the DC sites. We love the spacious rooms and kitchen, and the beds are heavenly. We prepare our own breakfasts (the convenience store nearby sells basics), so we rarely eat at the restaurant on site. And did I mention the price? In its price range, you won't find anything this close to DC that's as good as the Virginian Suites.

Room Tip: We like a room well above street level so we can enjoy an open window.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Greetings to you, and thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Virginian Suites Arlington. I am glad that the hotel's price range and location worked out really well for your family visit. We are in a great location, since we are walking distance to the Rosslyn Metro station for easy access to DC. I agree with you that our suites are very spacious, they are great for families and/or long term stays! Unfortunately we do not have a restaurant on site at the hotel, however we do provide a continental breakfast in the morning as well as a per diem dinner at night (both at an additional cost). I'm glad that you found some local food options as well! Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel for the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run about two weeks ago and I have to say that the hotel itself was the highlight of our trip.
As soon as we walked in we were welcomed by friendly staff who answered all our questions about the city, the monuments, and the restaurants nearby, and of course, where should we go to have a drink. There is like a little town about 5 minute away driving called Clarendon and we had a blast! Tons of bars and restaurant to choose from...
At the hotel, there is free coffee and tea at the lobby at all times. The hallway was clean and cozy. Our room was huge and spotless!. Housekeepers were very friendly and made us feel like home. Awesome service...
Breakfast was great, with lots of different items to choose. They even had Greek yogurt!
Overall we loved the hotel and the staff. Next time we go back to DC, we'll be staying at the Virginian Suites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there! Thank you for the amazing review. We are so glad to hear that you had a great time with us, and that the hotel was the highlight of your time in DC! I have to admit that we do in fact have very friendly staff, I'm glad that they were able to assist you during your time with us. It's great that they referred you to the Clarendon area of Arlington, it is a nice spot to grab a drink and dinner! It is also easily accessible via the Rosslyn Metro on the orange line. I'm glad you enjoyed the coffee and tea in the lobby, unfortunately it is not available 24/7 (the station closes down at 10pm every night). Also, we have a very nice continental breakfast served every morning, so it is great that you got to enjoy that as well! Thanks again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to your next visit at the Virginian Suites Arlington.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great location. Will stay again. Very family oriented place. Staffs were very helpful to explain the location and where to go. Front desk people were very friendly. Even manager walked up to us and asked how we doing and need anything. Took his time to explain where to go and how to avoid traffics. Recommended good restaurants and they were awesome. He really had a good stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for your nice review on our hotel! I am so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay. We do get a lot of families that stay with us, so we do our best to ensure that you are all comfortable. Thank you for the comments on our front desk staff, I agree that they are very friendly! Any time a guest has a question, he or she is more than welcome to come talk to the desk. I'm glad you got to experience some of the great local restaurants as well! Again, thank you for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon at the Virginian Suites Arlington!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the location, guest services and feel of our room at the Virginian. My husband and I road tripped it here from Charleston, S.C., once he completed his military orders in order to do some site seeing. This was my first visit to the D.C. area and enjoyed the location of this hotel very much. First, the front desk was very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Our room was 905, a studio queen suite, and we loved it! The bed was comfortable and room itself was spacious. The location of this hotel was literally a block or 2 from the Iwo Jima Memorial and about a 12-15minute walk to Arlington National Cemetery. The Metro at Rosslyn was only about a 5-7minute walk as well. Though we stayed during a time where they were also housing a large group of middle school students on a trip, we had no problems with noise, just had to make sure we got the breakfast early otherwise the kids and their staff took over quickly! The breakfast was average, nothing I would probably pay $12 a morning for as our breakfasts were comped. Would be nice if they had a bar or restaurant within the hotel instead of having to order take out our first night and eat in our room. I guess they just figure that everyone will fix their own meals since each room I believe has a kitchen. Overall, great experience at this hotel and we would definitely recommend it and stay here again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Greetings to you, and thank you for your great review on the Virginian Suites of Arlington! I am so glad to hear that our hotel met all of your needs. Our location is perfect when it comes to seeing all the sights of Arlington and DC, including the memorials, museums, and public transportation (the Metro). We really appreciate your great comments for our front desk staff too! They love knowing that they are making your stay even better. You are right in the fact that many of our guests utilize the kitchens to make their own meals, but for those that want to venture out we are more than happy to give restaurant recommendations (there are many amazing places to eat within a 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel, and even across the river in DC!). Thank you again for your recent stay, and we are looking forward to seeing you again!

Been to Virginian Suites Arlington? Share your experiences!