“A home away from home experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brookville, Ohio
“A home away from home experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

You cannot beat the two-bedroom hotel room this location offers! There were four adults and one child on our trip and we had more than enough room. The kitchen (complete with all utensils and cookware needed) and living area (couch, TV, table) separated the two bedrooms that contained the bathrooms within them. The two 'bedrooms' also had independent heating/cooling systems so that was nice for those of us who like to keep it a lot cooler than the others. :-)

The complimentary breakfast is quite a spread! Different options every day and the "Happy Hour" appetizers were delicious and fresh. They do offer two free drinks, per night, for each adult in the room.

Front desk staff was extremely helpful in arranging a car/driver for our special event. The complimentary shuttle to anywhere within a mile of the hotel is a very nice perk! We did a lot of shopping at the Pentagon City Mall and having a shuttle made it much easier!

CVS and other shopping is very close in the event you want small groceries.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Nice size room with full kitchen and sitting area. Free internet and breakfast. The hotel is walking distance to both the Pentagon and Pentagon City metro stops, but if you want or need to take a cab to DC you'll have to wait a while (there is no line of waiting cabs), it's can take longer than you expect, and is pricey. Aside from maybe the Pentagon City Mall there isn't much going on in the area after 5 pm.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MSP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at the Residence Inn Pentagon City Nov 17-20, 2013. Everything was great -- thanks to suggestions gleaned here, we asked for "rooms with a view" and were not disappointed to see the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Pentagon (of course), Air Force Memorial, and even the Capitol dome right out our 8th floor windows. So lovely!

All employees we encountered were exceptional - competent, knowledgeable, friendly and willing to go the extra mile even without being asked.

Hot breakfasts in the morning really set us up for full days of sightseeing and adventures. We walked up Army Navy drive and grabbed the Metro and were in the city in no time. Yellow line will be quicker but your final destination might necessitate the Blue line.

We used the free airport shuttle on arrival and departure. Nice service.

At $107/night (AAA rate) we feel like we got a great deal. I would definitely return on another visit to Washington DC.

Room Tip: Facing the Pentagon and higher up will yield awesome views of the monuments/memorials/city lights. D...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the Residence Inn Pentagon City a few weeks for work and it was a pleasant surprise. The staff is very friendly! Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping was helpful and made sure my stay was a good one, which inspired me to stay there as often as I could. The location is awesome – a 5 to 10 minute walk to the Pentagon City Mall and the Pentagon City metro. Price Club is down the block, a 24-hours Harris Teeter supermarket 3 blocks away and there are plenty of restaurants in the area. One of the highlights of the hotel, in addition to the staff, is the local shuttle. The Residence Inn Pentagon City provides a local shuttle ride to anywhere in Arlington within a 1-mile radius from the hotel. The rooms are impressive studio suites with a modern kitchen (microwave and dishwasher), they offer a great selection of cable channels and the bed is so comfortable! I look forward to staying at the Residence Inn Pentagon City the next time I’m in DC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Monmouth, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay- was in town for the Marine Corps Marathon and have no complaints at all. The rooms are large, nice tv, the fridge was an excellent bonus. The location is a good one and very convenient to get around. I also appreciated the airport pick up!

Only downside (which is a small one)-I wish the pool had more hours as it is only open for short periods of time in the evening because they have a lifeguard there when the pool is open.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was very impressed with how respectful, kind, pleasant, and welcoming EVERY staff member was, from those at the front desk, to the food servers, to the housekeeping staff, including the employees who helped me when I interrupted their conversation to ask a dumb question. (Maybe that was infectious because all the other guests I came across were also friendly.) All of the employees were also efficient. I would say the staff was the best I have ever run across at a hotel in this price range and better than that at some really expensive hotels.

I try in the next part of this review to provide some logistical details for people traveling with pets, as that can be complicated, and I haven't seen much info in other reviews about this. (If you don't have pets, you can skip this part - and I didn't see many pets there when I stayed so even if you don't like pets, I still think you would like this hotel.)

When you arrive, you can pull right up to the front door to put your luggage and pet carriers on a brass cart, and the staff was quite patient with my leaving the car there while I moved things into my room. This is important when you have pets, and it surprised me given how dense this area of Arlington is and how close it is to DC. I did not ask for bellhop assistance, so I am not sure if that is available. This situation may also change when the hotel is busier.

I was lucky to stay at a time that the hotel was not crowded. It was easy to get into and out of the parking garage, and to go quickly from my car to the elevator (using my room card). So you can check in, then move your car to the garage, and transport your things or pets from your car to the elevator if you prefer. You can go in and out of the garage as many times as you want during the day, for the same parking fee ($23); you use your room card to open the garage door.

Now - back to other non-pet related observations. Again, I am trying to provide details for those who may want details that may not be in other reviews. Unfortunately, you do have to use one elevator to go from the garage to the lobby, and then exit and take another elevator to get to your room. The elevators were sometimes slow, maybe because one was out of order. So if you don't care about a view, and are on a tight schedule, staying on a lower floor would be a good idea.

The room (studio) was itself was nicely updated and reasonably sized for the DC area, but if I were staying longer than a few days, I would enjoy the extra space of the 2 bedroom option, which at the time of this writing was only a few $ per night more than the studio. The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable.

The room was remarkably clean, especially for a pet-friendly hotel. Although it was not luxurious by everyone's standards, it had all the items you would expect at a 3 star residence hotel, including granite counters, stainless appliances, flatware, glasses, a garbage disposal, and even a small dishwasher. The TV had a limited selection of HD channels and the wireless access in the room was free though faster wireless was available for around $5 per day more. I appreciated that there was plenty of coffee in the room (in another Marriott in the same price range in Boston, there was enough for one serving only!). It would have been nice to be able to blend caf. & decaf. and make a couple of cups, without wasting as much (the combination filter and coffee inserts probably made 4-8 cups each).

The view (from an upper floor) was nice at night; it's a shame that the property adjacent to the hotel is a vacant lot, though you might prefer that to looking into another high-rise. I could see the Capitol, the Wash. Monument and the Pentagon. The only noise that I heard was during the morning rush hour, as the hotel is located close to major highways, but this wasn't excessive.

It was nice to have an included-in-the-price breakfast available, and I thought the choices were reasonable, though the eggs were cold, maybe because I arrived near the end of the free breakfast period (9 AM). The waitstaff did not hurry me to finish my coffee, even after 9.

This hotel would be a very good value at the weekend rates; during the week, it's not cheap and the pet fee is $200 regardless of the length of the stay (plus $8 per day). So obviously if you have an extended stay, this isn't much of a consideration, but it is if you will be there a short time. On the other hand, few really nice hotels are so accommodating of pets.

All-in-all, I was very impressed with this hotel during my short stay, and very glad they could accommodate us. Thank you very much, Residence Inn - Pentagon City staff, for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you don't want a long wait for the elevator, and don't care about the view, ask for a roo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one week prior to hurricane Sandy 2012 and during the hurricane. The staff and service that we received was excellent! 5 star! Staff was very helpful, cheerful and treated us as family even during the hurricane.
The facility was clean and well maintained also an important feature for me. I would highly recommend this hotel!
Very close also to the Metro, pentagon city mall and eating places. Very easy to get to the Metro to access the many sites of Washington, D.C.

Room Tip: We were in a two bedroom suite which was plenty of room for my husband and I and extended family. O...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City? Share your experiences!