“Loved the Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lynchburg
“Loved the Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

First of all we loved the hotel! The location was great, just across the river from DC and right around the corner from a subway stop. There are a lot of stores around the hotel so getting anywhere is easy. The hotel has just been completely redone and the lobby and rooms were like a new hotel and beautiful. Wifi was great. There were a few unmetered parking spaces close to the hotel, but you have to look for them. All others have been changed to metered parking. When we had to use the metered parking we just went down in the morning and added more coins.

The windows open which I appreciate as we like to have some fresh air. Others could care less, but we appreciate the option. We were at the front of the hotel and the one negative was the plane traffic which you could clearly hear in the evening and first thing in the morning. When your windows are closed the noise was much less. The planes follow the river landing at DCA.

We paid for a two bedroom room for two couples and it worked out great as two of our party had a tough time sleeping, not the fault of the mattress. The beds were very comfortable.

We were there what was supposed to be the peak weekend for the Cherry Festival and came up for the display but with the cold weather there were few Cherry Trees in bloom. As as result the breakfast buffet was mobbed. However there were three employees were working their tails off to keep food coming and generally did a great job under much pressure. The crowd was generally very polite as well, so breakfast was enjoyable. We took our food back to our room. There were containers to help do that as well as trays. The front desk had put out a warning that the buffet would be crowded at certain hours when we checked in.

The following night we spent one night using points the Marriott Residence Foggy Bottom. We were not nearly as impressed with this hotel and wished were had stayed the extra night at this Marriott. The Foggy Bottom seems a bit dated in spite of a recent lobby renovation. The halls are dark and depressing and the rooms were not as nice as this Marriott. The one thing they had going for them is unmetered parking right in front of the hotel.

All in all, the hotel is a great place to stay if you are visiting DC and I would stay here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The one disappointment was being a gold member and not receiving an upgrade to the two bedroom witho...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Flavia S, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Brandsberg,

Thank you for your positive comments about your stay at the newly renovated Residence Inn Rosslyn. We are glad you enjoyed our location, the staff and your suite. Our breakfast area can get a bit crowded during sold out weekends and that's the reason why we offer trays and to go containers.
We do have outdoor seating as well and use our meeting room when available.
Our Two Bedroom/Two Bathroom suites are a good choice for families and friends traveling together. In regards to noise from airport, we will gladly pre block a room on a lower floor on your next stay.

Keep us in mind if your travels bring you back to Arlingon, VA

Flavia Sampaio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Great value location in the DC area. Two blocks to the metro, and then two stops and you are in the District. Hint: Buy a Metro card ASAP ( at the airport works) . Cost $10 and comes with $8 already loaded. No need to buy metro paper tickets with the $1 premium per ride. As others have written, Great Staff, Nice Breakfast, and good rooms.
It is noisy near the Airport, otherwise the location works. Safe for walking, and easy on and off the freeway.

Room Tip: Ear Plugs. Lower floor in case one of the two elevators is out, as it was during our visit.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Flavia S, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Robert,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Rosslyn for your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the suggestion about the metro card to other travelers. You are correct that there is a $1.0 extra charge for paper metro tickets in the DC area.

In regards to noise from the airport. Please request a room on a lower floor next time you stay with us, and we will gladly be able to pre block a suite on a lower floor prior to your stay.

We are looking forward to accommodating you in the near future.
Lusaka, Zambia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I recently stayed at the Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn for an extended stay. I had my doubts about being away from home for a long time and having to live out of a suit case for over one month. My stay at the Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn was great.

The service at the front desk was quick. They had my room keys ready to collect on arrival and the check-in process was painless. The room was neatly prepared and cleaned thoroughly. The housekeeping staff was courteous and polite and they respected the requests to come back later if your ‘recharging’ sign was up.

It was also the first time that I stayed in hotel that provides dinner for three days of the week in addition to your daily breakfast. Most hotels provide breakfast, but seldom dinner. Every morning I was greeted with a ‘good morning, welcome back’ from the staff in the dining area. They never tired till my last day. Breakfast was sufficient to power me up for the day. I would have loved to see more options though. A few extras like baked beans for example. The option to have your eggs a different way other than scrambled is another.

Overall, I left the hotel a satisfied guest and would go back given the opportunity. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to those looking for a place to stay in Arlington.

Room Tip: I stayed in a studio type room. It had a larger desk than the one bedroom type and I would choose th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Cosby,

Thank you for choosing the newly renovated Residence Inn Rosslyn for your recent stay in Arlington, VA. We are glad you enjoyed your suite and our friendly and attentive staff. We do have a wonderful team, ready to take care of our guests needs.
You are correct that our studios have a larger desk than our one bedroom suites, which have two TVs and a door separating the bedroom from the living room area. They are both spacious and come with a fully equipped kitchen,

The complimentary evening meals and breakfast are some of the most appreciated amenities at Residence Inns. I am glad you enjoyed.

We are looking forward to serving you in the near future.
mpls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I was in DC for almost 2 weeks for work in March. I stayed at the Oak Street Residence Inn in Arlington, VA and found that it met my needs perfectly for a long stay. My room had a small but full service kitchen, living area, bedroom and bath. There is a breakfast served daily and meals some evenings, if you like that kind of food. I prefer to eat out or cook, but it is a convenient service for those that want it and it seemed many guests were happy with the meals. Also, several of the floors have a laundry facility, which is nice for long stays.

My only complaint is that the hotel is located in one of the flight patterns for Reagan National Airport, so you sometimes hear planes flying low overhead. It only happened at certain times of day so there must be a schedule. Maybe the lower floors don't hear it as much. Bring your earplugs if that might be an issue for you. Despite this, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Maybe lower floors don't hear the air traffic (planes) as much as higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mary,

Thank you for your positive comments about your stay at the newly renovated Residence Inn Rosslyn. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast and The Mix, our evening social activities, offered 3 times a week.
In regards to noise from the airport, we will be glad to pre block a room for your on a lower floor. Please let us know the next time you are coming to the are and we will take care of this request for you.

We are looking forward to your next visit,
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Truc Nguyen was super! He provided me excellent customer service during my recent stay. The hotel was really busy and most of the rooms were reserved. Although I had 4 different reservations at this hotel (I had a wedding venue at Top of the Town), the rooms I actually wanted were unavailable and did not fit all of my needs. He was able to work through the situation and provide me a great stay at the hotel. Parking, metro, and breakfast were all convenient. The staff really met all my needs. We had an outstanding event and all went well!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear William,

Thank you for your positive comments about your stay at the Residence Inn Rosslyn. I am glad we were able to take care of your needs. I have passed your comments to Truc, our Front Desk Supervisor.
We are looking forward to seeing you in the future if your travels bring you back to Arlington, VA
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

One thing you notice when you start writing reviews is what a bad deal we sometimes get as consumers — while appreciating the occasional pleasant experience. Unfortunately my experience at the Residence Inn in Rosslyn falls in the first category—an overpriced, under-achieving place taking full advantage of its location in government-contract rich Arlington and offering a sub-par experience to its captive audience of government contractors and meeting participants.

I only had to stay one night, for a total duration of less than 10 hours—late in, early out. I would have certainly moved to a different hotel had my stay been any longer. First, the rate is comparable, if not higher than most full-service hotels in the area. No-one expects service or luxury from this brand; however one would hope for a comfortable, clean room with functioning amenities. Let’s start with the room—or “suite”, which feels totally cramped and tight, with a very narrow sitting area. I did not necessarily mind being assigned a specially configured room for wheelchair users—though when given the choice on the web site I specifically opted for the regular configuration. But I did mind having an ironing board hung on the door of the bathroom, shaking and clanking every time you open the door, and having only low hanging rod that does not accommodate a raincoat (other places I’ve been at have both high and low to accommodate all types of users). When I requested a different assignment I was told sorry we’re sold out—fine for them to not honor the specific room I have booked-- almost suggesting I was lucky to have a room at all.

As noted by another reviewer, you don’t get the sense that the room is particularly well cleaned—especially the kitchen area; while nothing was sticky, you can tell when counters are spotless and fresh. The unpleasantness continued with poorly functioning plumbing—and a poorly draining toilet—for nearly $300 a night you have a right to expect better. I did not bother reporting this—when you’re there less than 10 hours you don’t want to spend two of those hassling with the repair folks.

Malfunctions happen—and one doesn’t necessarily hold it against the brand or even the location. However, as a customer, you cannot help the feeling of being “taken” by a place that is providing cheap-to-produce accommodations (in all the construction finishing details, low staffing, etc...) but is charging you regular hotel rates for the privilege, while not honoring your reservation choices, not offering to do anything about it, and delivering poor quality accommodations. I hope I am never again in the position of having to accept such poor value at this location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Flavia S, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Foodie 019,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Rosslyn . I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured that we will discuss all your concerns with the appropriate departments. Our hotel has been recently renovated to meet the new Residence Inn standards so I was surprised to hear that you felt the room was not as spacious as they should be. We honor the room type reserved by our guests but on rare occasions we may be forced to change due to hotel being sold out or reasons beyond our control. I apologize for not being able to honor the room type you had originally reserved.

Please contact me directly to discuss how the hotel can compensate your for not meeting your expectations. Our guests' satisfaction is the very important to us. This was an isolated incident and by no means reflect the level of service we provide to our customers. We were awarded Trip Advisor Excellence Award in 2013 and have passed our annual Marriott Inspection in 2014.

Respectfully,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

This hotel was perfect in every way. Having parking readily available in the building and secured access to each floor made for a very safe feeling. The staff was very attentive and having a full hot breakfast included only made it even better.

Room Tip: If you need more than one room make sure you tell them in advance so you can get on the same floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Flavia S, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Rosslyn. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and felt the hotel was safe. The comfort and safety of our guests are extremely important . We hope to be able to serve you in the near future.

Flavia Sampaio

Been to Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn? Share your experiences!