“Another good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Penfield
“Another good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed for our third time at this Residence Inn and once again found it consistently appealing. While some of the furniture suffers from everyday wear and tear, the value for your money is superb. The rooms are large and come with a small kitchenette, full refrigerator, stove top, dishwasher and four each of everything from plates and bowls to silverware to drinking and wine glasses. Also enough pots and pans to easily prepare a full meal. The daily breakfast offering is the usual fare, scrambled eggs, homefries, fruit slices, oatmeal, muffins, bagels and the like. More than enough to leave you satisfied. Complimentary USA today and Washington Post provided daily. Good fitness center. Also great location with subway stop 2 short blocks away.
Bedding very comfortable. Well trained courteous and professional staff.

Room Tip: High floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here on a free night certificate, it was between this and the Courtyard just down the street. The hotel was easily located by my GPS and check-in was a breeze. There are a few spaces along the entranceway and you need to check-in first to get your room key which activates the door to the parking garage below the hotel(more on that below). The high rise across the street is under construction and probably makes lots of noise in the morning... however they were not working on Saturday morning. Elevators require a room key to operate.

Our room was on the 5th floor and was a 1 bedroom suite. It seemed a little more beat up than other Residence Inn properties I have stayed in, but it was clean and comfortable. It's nice to have the big fridge and microwave in the small kitchen area. The Wifi was free and worked fine, but you had to put in the password every single time you logged back onto it... extremely annoying, the time limit should be increased to 12 or 24 hours. Standard Marriott issue LG HDTVs, a few HD channels including the local networks.

Breakfast in the morning was packed, we had to eat outside on the patio. Despite the tons of people there was plenty of food. Good variety both hold and cold.

Overall this is a good hotel in a good location, the regular rates didn't seem unreasonable for the area on a Friday night. Don't hesitate to book a room here, you shouldn't have any real problems.

A word about the planes, yes this part of town is RIGHT under the takeoff pattern for Reagan Airport, and you WILL hear the planes even inside. However by 10PM they were nearly done, and I wasn't woken up early in the morning by them, the AC unit made enough noise.

The $14+tax to park was extra annoying on what was a free night... the only reason it is charged is because you must pay to park ANYWHERE in a place like Arlington. They should at least give a break to Elite members or something. It's not like you are even paying an attendant, and it's the hotel's garage(not operated by a 3rd party company). Free parking would have gotten this hotel a 5 star review.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Did a long-term 30 day stay at this hotel. The location was superb and the amenities were ideal. It was fine for one person, but not sure I could stay here with my family on a long-term basis, not enough space in the room for that type of stay.

Pros: free wi-fi internet, free breakfast every day, dinner 3 nights a week, daily housekeeping, location, gym, grocery order/delivery, good service when maintenance issues are reported. Suggested improvements: front desk staff is often difficult to understand and not highly trained in customer service, dining tables and computer area could be cleaner and revamped, dining area and hallways could be less freezing cold, should have stair access options for lower floor guests, more washers and dryers on more floors.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Garforth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Used this hotel for a short holiday in Washington, although not on the centre the location was ideal. Metro station a very short walk away, located very near to the Arlington war memorials and we even walked into Washington. hotel itself was perfect, rooms large, clean and the self catering option handy although we didn't bother ad we found a couple of very good restaurants nearby. Would recommend this hotel to anyone on a stopover in DC.

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights whilst visiting Washington DC and it was a good choice.
The room was large with a kitchenette and very clean and comfortable.
We were within walking distance to train station for our visits to Arlington Cemetery, monuments and Smithonian Museums.
The price was very reasonable for what we got, considering Washington is expensive for hotel accommodation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I am now in the middle of my second long-term stay at this hotel. Since my first time here (about three years ago), I can see some improvements, such as a wonderful (if not slightly unhealthy) breakfast skillet, which seems very fresh. Also, finally, we have some large glasses in the dining room, which are much more suitable for the drinks at dinner (than the juice glasses which were our only choice!).

For those who appreciate the friendly staff, you might like to know that many of the same people were here three years ago -- which I think is pretty incredible. It speaks to the friendliness and homey feeling in the hotel. It seems that the staff are a kind of family for one another, and it shows in how they (most of them) interact with guests.

Staff have informed me that in November, the kitchens will be upgraded (I think that the project will begin in November; I don’t know when it will finish). If this is important to you, I would confirm with the hotel. In my experience, the kitchenettes are functional, even if the equipment is not first-rate (which is not really to be expected anyway). While the appearance of the hotel rooms is somewhat dated, it is pretty slight (in no way is it ridiculous or laughable). It’s never once bothered me, and appearance is pretty important to me. And for everything that you get in this hotel, the slight datedness is quite minor.

For those of us with pets, the flexibility on the part of the housekeeping staff is really appreciated. I prefer that staff cleans only when I’m around. Whenever I call (during the day), they come pretty quickly. (I should note that I usually keep it to once a week or so -- my preference.) The point is, they are willing to work with you.

However, I think that the hotel could stand to improve in some areas. In this age of “green” awareness, it bothers me that there is no way for a guest to recycle in this hotel. Many hotels are very directed in their approach to environmental friendliness, and in fact this hotel is supposed to be. Yet the housekeeping staff has run my dishwasher with literally one plate and one fork! Also, sometimes towards the end of meals, there are only Styrofoam plates and plastic forks etc. available. I think that this is because they want to finish cleaning up as soon as possible at the end of the meal; however, this comes at a serious cost to the rest of the world, in my opinion. Not to mention, it’s really unpleasant to eat off of Styrofoam! I really wish that this practice would stop.

Other practices need to be changed (and all of the friendliness won’t make a difference). Quite often something will need replenishing; it would be nice if staff were circulating more often and paying attention to that, instead of greeting. Also, the tubs where we put our dishes at the end of the meal are more often than not overflowing. People are pretty much sticking the dishes wherever they can and making noise (clanking the dishes around), which is unpleasant for everyone. It may sound petty but it is annoying -- especially as an employee is standing there, greeting everyone!

I agree with one poster that the staff could be a bit more empowered on the reservations front. Whatever the reason for the lack of responsiveness, it is a hindrance and it is true that customers don’t like being treated that way. But I think that this is a decision of management, not staff.

For those guests who would prefer more nightlife, perhaps Chinatown/Gallery Place or Adams Morgan would be better neighborhoods for you to stay in. I would also like to remind guests who don’t like the pets here that it is no secret that this hotel is pet friendly, and those of us who are here with our pets may be in Washington for some time for training before moving overseas in the service of our government. We need a place that allows us to stay with our pets, and this hotel fills a need that is for us essential. Also, to the guest who was disappointed in the hotel (booked by her husband for her birthday weekend) -- there are a lot of other romantic hotels in the Washington area, of which I am sure you are aware, since you live here. I also wouldn’t want to come here for a romantic weekend. This hotel is a lot of things, but I wouldn’t ever call it romantic. It is actually quite inexpensive, and from what I see, most of the visitors are business travelers and families coming here for funerals, with some tourists thrown in the mix. Those with phobias about underground garages should probably look for hotels that offer above-ground parking, or parking with windows? I’ve never heard anyone complain about parking garages, so I’m not sure what the remedy to this would be, besides valet parking so you wouldn’t have to subject yourself to the parking garage.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights with our family of 5 on trip to DC. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. However pull out couch waa not. Roll away had big buckle tied in the middle of it and the matress it self was torn. Had to ask for a second room as first smelled lile smoke Good location for taking Metro onto DC for sight seeing. However it is a downtown location with construction across the street so it was a bit noisy. Good breakfast and great laundry facilities.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn? Share your experiences!