“Moving and Heroic War Memorial to the USMC” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Monuments/ Statues
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Commonly called the "Iwo Jima Memorial," the statue is a depiction of the famous raising of the U.S. flag on Iwo Jima and is dedicated to all Marines who have given their lives defending that flag.
Laurel, Maryland
62 attraction reviews
“Moving and Heroic War Memorial to the USMC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I first visited this memorial during the Historic U.S. East tour I did with Globus in July 2009. I'd seen photos of the memorial and, I wanted to see it up close. I was glad I made the effort to do so. The memorial commemorates all the campaigns Marines have fought in since the American Revolutionary War. Around the base in gold letters are the names of all the campaigns Marines have fought in. The scene in the memorial copies a photo Joseph Rosenthal (I believe) took of the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima during the World War II. It was and is a stirring scene of valor and determination. The memorial is moving and a fitting tribute to all Marines who have served in the USMC. I've attached a photo I took of the memorial. The memorial is located right next to Arlington National Cemetary. There is parking located close to the memorial though it can also be reached via walking from the cemetary. There isn't any charge to visit the memorial. In my opinion, the memorial is definitely worth seeing.

Alabama
“Moving...Lest We Never Forget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I am not a Marine but I am a military man and I was very moved by this memorial. Anyone who has any doubt about being an American needs to visit this memorial.

Mississippi
10 attraction reviews
“This one is a MUSt SEE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

We visited and Sunset and it was beautiful.
The size is awesome and the surrounding park is a nice place to just sit and appreciate the freedom we all have

Greenwood, Indiana
108 attraction reviews
“Not to be Missed! Semper Fi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

My wife and I had just concluded an afternoon in the Arlington National Cemetery and walked through the gate leading to the "Iwo Jima" memorial (The figures atop teh Marine Corps War Memorial depict the raising of the US flag atop Mt Surabachi on Iwo Jima).
We went on a summer Tuesday and brought our blanket and some sandwiches (tucked away, since no food is to be consumed on the grounds of the Arlington National Cemetery).
Arriving at about 5 PM, we spread our blanket on the ground and settled in next to the chain fence erected for the Twilight Parade each summer Tuesday evening.
At twilight (the parade normally starts at 7 PM but as the days shorten in August, they start at 6:30), the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps marches onto the field from around the Memorial and plays a wonderfully entertaining "concert in motion."
Next, the Battalion appears from around the Memorial and marches onto the field.
The climax of the evening is close order drill by the Silent Drill Team - a platoon of Marines who perform intricate and complex maneuvers with fixed bayonets, often through their 10 pound rifles through the air as though they were made of balsa wood!
The evening we attended, the guest of honor was a Medal of Honor recipient who had fought in several wars, including Viet Nam. He was Sen John McCain's cell mate after being captured in Viet Nam and as the program began, Sen McCain came on the scene to join his old friend.
No one parades like the Marines! Don't miss this one! Semper Fi!

Arcata, California
36 attraction reviews
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to D.C. My experience with the Iwo Jima Memorial was actually by accident! I was returning to the hotel after spending the day in Washington seeing the sights and walking, walking, walking.... My feet were sore and my back was achy. We were very tired...coming from the subway in Arlington. We happened to look up, while crossing a bridge overpass, and there it was. I instantly felt a feeling of admiration, appreciation and respect for what this incredible memorial represented.