“Nice Building” 5 of 5 stars

Washington DC Grand Tour
Ranked #14 of 56 things to do in Arlington
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The headquarters of the United States Department of Defense are housed in the massive Pentagon, whose five wedge-shaped sections represent the five branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Memphis, Tennessee
“Nice Building”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I had no idea all that great information and notoriety was located at this location. It was a great visit.

Visited October 2013

Centreville, Virginia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“This place gives you chills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This memorial is very well done. I've been a few times. The designer put some thought into this and I believe it is one of the best memorials in the region if not the world.

Visited October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Like a city onto itself”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This large office building is like a self contained city. Containing a few food courts and other shops (flourist, bank, barber, etc), one can stay the whole day here without needing to leave for meals and other services. However, this place is difficult to navigate and we were fortunate to have people willing to guide us. As such, we got a tour of the various attractions available such as the 9/11 Memorial.

For meals, the Subway's was always crowded and I found their McDonald's to be remarkably efficient. I was dazzled by the various gifts that I could buy at the Fort America gift shop but ended up not purchasing anything as I could easily see myself buying too many trinklets.

Visited March 2013
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“The Pentagon Memorial”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

What a wonderful and well thought out memorial to those that lost their lives on the flight that was downed at the Pentagon. We decided this was one of the most meaningful visits on our trip to DC.

Visited September 2013
Honolulu
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Worth the time to visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently visited the Pentagon two weeks ago during our visit to Washington, DC. We were within the Pentagon itself on the tragic day of the Naval shooting in DC and we learned of what happened while we were there. Security was tight that day but the servicemen and women were very polite and welcoming.

I read several reviews stating that the Pentagon tour was boring and not worth it, but I totally disagree.

The tour is located in the Pentagon and consists of a 1 hr tour that takes you within the walls of one of the world's largest office buildings. The tour itself covers about 1.5 miles and the time goes by quickly. Our young army tour guide took us through the corridors that commemorate the history, people and culture of the U.S. armed services ... all while walking backwards the entire time. When she told us that she would be walking backwards (facing us and speaking), I thought she was kidding. But she did the entire tour like this and it was very informative!

Over 20,000 employees work in the Pentagon but we learned that the bldg can house about double that, and that the emergency exit plans are so well executed that it can be exited within minutes.

We were also able to visit the memorial within the Pentagon itself, which is in the exact location where the American Airlines Flt 77 crashed on 9/11/01. It was a very poignant moment to be on the exact site where our honored service members and courageous flight members perished. You are able to contemplate, read excerpts on the individual lives and also sign a memory book whose pages are sent to the surviving family members.

Tips:

1) Reservations and clearance are required, so you are unable to book less than 14 days prior to a scheduled tour. The website to book the tour is: https://pentagontours.osd.mil
2) Be patient but don't lose heart. As noted in a previous review, sometimes confirmation of your tour does not happen right away. I chose to not sweat it and made a "Plan B" in the event that we weren't approved. I received approval a few days prior to arriving in DC, and everything went smoothly.
3) Leave your camera in your bag because you are not allowed to take photographs in or outside of the Pentagon. There are no lockers, but they do allow you to carry your bag. I had a backpack and as long as you leave your camera untouched and put your cell phone on silent mode, you're fine.
4) Wear comfortable walking shoes and be respectful of the employees and service men and women; thank them for their service if you have the opportunity!

Visited September 2013