“This place gives you chills” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$55*
and up
Independent Half-Day Trip to Mount Vernon and Old...
Ranked #13 of 28 Attractions in Arlington
Type: Government Buildings, Landmarks
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The headquarters of the United States Department of Defense are housed in the massive Pentagon, whose five wedge-shaped sections represent the five branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Centreville, Virginia
32 attraction reviews
“This place gives you chills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This memorial is very well done. I've been a few times. The designer put some thought into this and I believe it is one of the best memorials in the region if not the world.

Visited October 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
34 attraction reviews
“Like a city onto itself”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This large office building is like a self contained city. Containing a few food courts and other shops (flourist, bank, barber, etc), one can stay the whole day here without needing to leave for meals and other services. However, this place is difficult to navigate and we were fortunate to have people willing to guide us. As such, we got a tour of the various attractions available such as the 9/11 Memorial.

For meals, the Subway's was always crowded and I found their McDonald's to be remarkably efficient. I was dazzled by the various gifts that I could buy at the Fort America gift shop but ended up not purchasing anything as I could easily see myself buying too many trinklets.

Visited March 2013
Tampa, Florida
30 attraction reviews
“The Pentagon Memorial”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

What a wonderful and well thought out memorial to those that lost their lives on the flight that was downed at the Pentagon. We decided this was one of the most meaningful visits on our trip to DC.

Honolulu
41 attraction reviews
“Worth the time to visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently visited the Pentagon two weeks ago during our visit to Washington, DC. We were within the Pentagon itself on the tragic day of the Naval shooting in DC and we learned of what happened while we were there. Security was tight that day but the servicemen and women were very polite and welcoming.

I read several reviews stating that the Pentagon tour was boring and not worth it, but I totally disagree.

The tour is located in the Pentagon and consists of a 1 hr tour that takes you within the walls of one of the world's largest office buildings. The tour itself covers about 1.5 miles and the time goes by quickly. Our young army tour guide took us through the corridors that commemorate the history, people and culture of the U.S. armed services ... all while walking backwards the entire time. When she told us that she would be walking backwards (facing us and speaking), I thought she was kidding. But she did the entire tour like this and it was very informative!

Over 20,000 employees work in the Pentagon but we learned that the bldg can house about double that, and that the emergency exit plans are so well executed that it can be exited within minutes.

We were also able to visit the memorial within the Pentagon itself, which is in the exact location where the American Airlines Flt 77 crashed on 9/11/01. It was a very poignant moment to be on the exact site where our honored service members and courageous flight members perished. You are able to contemplate, read excerpts on the individual lives and also sign a memory book whose pages are sent to the surviving family members.

Tips:

1) Reservations and clearance are required, so you are unable to book less than 14 days prior to a scheduled tour. The website to book the tour is: https://pentagontours.osd.mil
2) Be patient but don't lose heart. As noted in a previous review, sometimes confirmation of your tour does not happen right away. I chose to not sweat it and made a "Plan B" in the event that we weren't approved. I received approval a few days prior to arriving in DC, and everything went smoothly.
3) Leave your camera in your bag because you are not allowed to take photographs in or outside of the Pentagon. There are no lockers, but they do allow you to carry your bag. I had a backpack and as long as you leave your camera untouched and put your cell phone on silent mode, you're fine.
4) Wear comfortable walking shoes and be respectful of the employees and service men and women; thank them for their service if you have the opportunity!

Santa Barbara, CA
13 attraction reviews
“Dedicated military people make me proud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My buddy thought he might see the War Room and/or a drone operations control room. I knew the Pentagon is mostly a big office anthill. Your spit and polished tour guides take you on a 50 minute 1.5 mile whirl through halls while walking backwards (the guides not you). You see the 9/11 Memorial inside the building and many wall displays along the corridors. There is an outside one open to the public.