“Beautiful suite, gorgeous area, DC a drive away” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
New York City, New York
“Beautiful suite, gorgeous area, DC a drive away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Put simply, this hotel is excellent. The neighborhood is very pretty & Old Town is close (less than a mile). Old Town is a a must see! If you want to go to DC this is a bit of a drive. Maybe 20 minutes to DC. Parking is always annoying in a big city, so keep this in mind.
BUT the price we got was great, it is a 2 room suite w/ full size pull-out sofa bed. There is an indoor pool which is great for kids. The hot tub is great for adults.
We chose to stay here because the location was very pretty, the price was MUCH better than DC hotels, there room was great & there was an indoor pool. If you don't mind driving into DC, this is a perfect location to stay at. My favorite place was the small tranquility fountain right off the lobby by the free wi-fi.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
Wow! Thanks so much for your comments. I agree with you, this hotel gives you a suite with all the convenience, amenities, and quality you could want at a price that beats DC hotels and even neighboring hotels that only give you a room. We really do appreciate your feedback, both good and bad, and hopefully you can visit us again soon! Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I redeemed Starwood points for two nights and paid cash for the third (or, rather, the first, as it was cheaper that way). Anyway, considering the fact we are Starwood members, I would have thought we'd have been treated specially. Instead, it was just a so-so stay.

I was traveling with my mom. We arrived on Sunday and had an easy check in (other than we were told we had to make sure to come back to the front desk the next day to have the keys re-keyed for our 2nd and 3rd nights since I had to make two separate RSVPs since I was using both points and cash; didn't make much sense to me, but, whatever).

The room was nice enough (other than some heavy duty ugly stains in the carpet in the living area) but it was not on the club level.

My primary issue with this hotel was it's lack of amenities. First, there was one pack (for a one 12 oz cup of Starbucks coffee) in the room; this, for two people who both drink coffee. The little card next to the coffee machine informed us that more could be had...for $3 a pop. Excuse me? 2nd, there were two large bottles of water near the refrigerator. I've stayed in lesser quality hotels that provide water for free, or, at least the first go-around. Not so here; $3.50 a pop. We were only provided one small bar of soap each day (meant, I guess, to be used for both the shower and the basin and for two people) and, even though we were supposed to get a free USA Today, they were only available one morning (the other two mornings they'd already been snatched up as early as 8:30 am; something that could have been avoided had the delivered them to the door like many other hotels do.

Parking was $22 per day, which, I suppose was "ok" since it's difficult to find parking in Alexandria, anyway. I did pay $10 one day for in-room Internet as I needed to do something and the "free" stations downstairs were always in use.

We didn't try the restaurant/bar or the shuttle service so I cannot comment on those.

The beds WERE very comfy, but, that is a Sheraton thing; nothing specific to this hotel.

Also, I was originally going to bring my dog but, the policy was extremely prohibitive. In addition to paying a deposit, there were all these rules about not leaving the pet alone at all and, if the pet caused any disturbance, there would be a fine of $150 each time. I'm sorry, but, most people that would be staying at this hotel would be doing so because they had business in the area or were there for sightseeing. To mandate that you always stay with your pet is silly. I stayed in a Sheraton in Omaha NE where they were far more welcoming (and they allowed cats) and didn't require all this nonsense. So, needless to say, the dog stayed in a kennel (which added another expense).

So, all in all, it was an ok stay, but, more could have been done to make us feel welcomed and special. If I'd paid cash for the two nights I used points, I would have been even more irritated.

• Stayed April 2010
sheratonsuitesva, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 20, 2010
Thanks so much for your feedback as we sincerely appreciate hearing about our guest visits and find many observations very helpful. Of course I am sorry that our pet policy is too strict and while we do not charge $150 for damages we do have some restrictions as some of our barking friends cause other guests to expect full refunds. As the manager I expect all of our guests to be treated special and for our staff to connect with our guests to insure a pleasant experience. You can be sure that we will redouble our efforts as well as making sure that our rooms are stocked appropriately with no hidden charges. Some hotels do things differently and we do try to stay competitive in the area and we will relook at our offerings. Again, thanks so much for your feedback and I truly hope you will visit us again! Steve W.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel many times with the family and 2 small dogs. We loved staying here and being able to walk to a nice dinner after a long days drive. This was always our first choice. We love the suites that allow us to close the door and let our kids sleep while we stay up to watch tv. The dogs always enjoyed their nice strolls in this charming little city. Our last stay there we were ubruptly informed at check-in that management decided that they would now start charging us to allow our dogs to stay with us. I asked the front-desk to forego the charge since we had stayed there so often an no charge was made at that time. I also knew at that moment that I would be staying at another Sheraton property going forward. There are so many properties that do not charge for pets and so we moved on to the Sheraton Westin in Reston, VA. They are very nice, the property is immaculate and parking is also free. Granted it does not have the charm of Alexandria, but during these economic times every little but counts. Please reconsider the pet charge and I will reconsider coming back to our old friend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
Thanks so much for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the comfort of our suites with the added space. We did add the additional pet fee of just $25 for the entire stay. While I know it is difficult to have to pay for something you feel should be included we did have to incorporate the added fees due to the excessive cleaning the hotel must undertake to have the rooms ready for the next guest. Many people are sensitive to pets and we have had to add steps to make sure each guest receives a clean crisp room that does not have any trace of our 4 legged friends. As a dog lover myself I know how hard it is to keep the house clean and I am always appreciative of friends that allow us to visit with "Katey." Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the future. Steve W.
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We stayed at this hotel with my husband and 2 daughters (ages 7 and 9) to take advantage of both its location in Old Town and its proximity to DC's sights during the Cherry Blossom Festival. The front desk staff was friendly and Gina was especially pleasant and helpful upon check in...we took advantage of her advice to drive into DC after 7 PM to find plentiful FREE parking on Constitution Ave and visit the monument and memorials at twilight - gorgeous! We were very happy with our room - clean and comfortable - and found all the amenities we needed. Housekeeping was very accommodating when we called for 2 add'l bath towels for the kids, as well as extra tissues (allergies were crazy this week!). We'd booked the king suite with a sofa bed, but it was rather small for my 2 girls (the 9-year-old ended up taking the floor on our 3rd night), so if you have older kids, consider opting for a room with 2 doubles instead. Also, once the bed is opened up, you can't really walk around much in that area as it butts up against the chair. The pool and hot tub were well-attended by a lifeguard, although it would have been nice to have some morning hours available at this time of year (pool was open daily from 4-7 PM) and there was no policing of under-agers in the hot tub even though it's posted that you must be 16 or older...nothing like trying to relax in the hot tub with 2 splashing boys haha. We went to the bar area for a late evening snack of excellent hot wings (12 for a buck!) and a pitcher of beer for $7...the kids enjoyed a plate of potato skins while going back and forth to the Wii game. Off-street parking was very easy to find...we found spots a block away in front of the Giant Supermarket.

A few areas for improvement...1) Even though we were on the 8th floor (Room 822 in the northwest corner), there was quite a lot of noise in the morning from emergency vehicles and garbage trucks, so if you're a light sleeper you might want to get an interior room. 2) The king bedroom was wonderful, but the sheer curtains on the glass doors are not made for privacy so my husband was dressing in the bathroom for 4 days. 3) Our one BIG disappointment was the shuttle service...as we'd read in previous reviews, it could be kind of sketchy. A few times we'd called for the shuttle to either bring us to or take us home from King Street (only 7 blocks away but after a long day of walking walking walking...) but on both occasions we waited for about 30 minutes, during which time we could have walked there and back - twice. We also found it rather inconvenient when waiting for the shuttle on the way back from the airport metro, as they only make hourly trips for a good portion of the day so if you arrive at 3:15 you'll have to wait until about 4:15. On at least 3 occasions during our 3-night stay, we had to make multiple calls to the hotel checking on where the shuttle was ("5 more minutes..."). We're usually pretty easy-going when we travel, but we all felt that the shuttle service could be a little more reliable and frequent, especially when we noticed the shuttles from other hotels were coming twice an hour while ours only came once. Unfortunately, despite how much we loved staying in Old Town, we will most likely stay closer to the King Street Metro next time around just for the convenience of avoiding the shuttle waits, as it really shaved away a few hours of our trip.

All in all, I'd certainly recommend the hotel to others - with a warning about the shuttle service :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the local sights and attractions that make the Spring Cherry Blossom season the best time to visit. I am sorry that the street noise was unusually loud for you as the building tends to be very quiet and you cannot hear any of the jets that fly in for the airport that is just 2 miles away. Ironically, the hotels near King street are noisy due to the train station.

I really wish we could offer on demand service to and from the King Street corridor. This free service is based on availability and there are times when we cannot accommodate all the requests that come in at the same time. We have 4 shuttle busses and they were all running to full capacity but sometimes the volume is more then we can handle. While this is a free service we always like to remind the guest to take advantage of the areas taxi and bus service which charge reasonable prices. I also have to speak to the staff as they tend to over commit the shuttle service while trying to please all the guests. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon. Steve W
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Prior to staying at the Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria I always stayed with Mariott properties. I was actually Platinum with them. After my first week in Alexandria I actually called Mariott and had them convert all of my points to Frequent Flyer Miles. I haven't stayed at anything but an SPG Property since.

I stayed at the Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria from July until December last year. The staff was kind enough to allow me to have the same room every week. Being a creature of habit that was excellent for me.

Every week I would come in on Monday and my clothes would be hung up in my closet, my refrigerator would be ready and my bag that I left with the hotel would be in my room.
There was always a gift of some kind waiting for me as well. My room was on the 10th floor and I really enjoyed the balcony. It had great a view of the Potomac.

One weekend, I couldn't fly home because I fell ill. The staff made sure I had everything I needed and told housekeeping not to bother me. They even brought me some soup from a local restaurant that the knew was my favorite. The staff were kind, thoughtful and made me feel like family. If I ever return to the Washington Metro Area this is the only place I will stay at.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Wow, thanks so much for your comments. I am glad you had a great experience and hope that we can continue to provide the best in service and quality you expect. We hope to see you again real soon! Steve W
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Located in north Old Town, this hotel is an excellent value for what you get. My wife and I stayed at the hotel for two nights over Valentine's Day weekend. The hotel lobby is clean and has a nice atmosphere. Also, this hotel has the Link@Sheraton, which is nice if you are a business traveler. The suites are nice and provide a good amount of space to move around.

Breakfast at the restaurant was decent. While we didn't eat dinner at the hotel, it seemed like their prices were competitive. The only downside was parking, which is $22 a night. However, if you are staying at the hotel on a weekend or holiday, you might be able to find parking on the street for free.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Thanks so much for your comments about your recent stay at the Sheraton Suites in Old Town. Our suites are ideal for guests that like the extra room and the restaurant works very hard to be competitive and the food is terrific. The benefit of the underground garage that is secure from the elements and your added safety is very nice and in keeping with what others charge in the neighborhood. We appreciate your feedback and perhaps in the future we can lower the price for everyone. Best Regard and we hope to see you again very soon. Steve W.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Stayed at this all suites hotel for extensive business meetings in the area. The hotel is conveniently located in Alexandria, with many restaurants nearby. Trader Joe's is just two blocks away and an easy trek for miscellaneous items. Close to many quite good restaurants. The room is fairly large. It would be good to upgrade some of the room amenities, including have "glass" glasses in the room (rather than the cheap plastic ones). I've yet to eat in the hotel's restaurant, so I can't comment on its quality. The elevators are a bit worn...several times they've failed to shut properly after several tries. All in all, however, it's a pleasant hotel that is conveniently located. Internet access in the rooms is only $10/daily.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
I wanted to thank you for your feedback about your recent visit. We are very lucky to be able to offer suite accommodations at the price of a hotel room. The rooms are very spacious and make for a great place especially when you are in town for more then a few nights. Many guests comment on the lack of glasses and coffee cups that hotels use to have, however many of us gave them up for the sanitary alternative of a packaged cup. We are happy to provide glasses on request and of course many other modern comforts are always available. Thanks also for letting us know about the elevator problems. We have already fixed this with our maintenance company. Again, we thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back soon! Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!