“Excessively Slow Airport Shuttle” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Louisville, KY
“Excessively Slow Airport Shuttle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

We arrived at Reagan National Airport shortly after 5pm and immediately called for a pick-up at baggage claim. We were told "Ok, I will let the van driver know." Thirty-five minutes later, the van finally pulled up. I knew the hotel wasn't that far away, but after a short five-minute ride to the hotel, it really made me wonder why on earth it took thirty-five minutes to pick us up. At the end of our stay when we were waiting for the hotel shuttle back to the airport, it arrived five minutes late. When we tried to board, we were told that this particular van was the "downtown shuttle" and the one going to the airport would be along shortly. We left several minutes late (after having scheduled our ride to the airport).

The hotel is far above average, the staff is friendly and professional, and the location is unbeatable. However, the airport shuttles are excessively slow, and despite the wonderful staff, they will never tell you that you have to wait for thirty minutes for the next van (they only do airport pick-ups on the half hour). I just can't figure out why they are so willing to let their customers stand around for so long, waiting for the hotel shuttle. Almost every other destination I travel to, the shuttles are on-demand. GREAT hotel, LOUSY shuttle service.

Only other complaint is that you have to pay for internet service, which is typically VERY slow. Even Motel 6 offers free in-room internet.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
Thanks so much for your comments about the problems you experienced with our shuttle. We try our best to be on time and have many guests to try and satisfy. We run 2 shuttles continuously and it is difficult when trying to satisfy the different trips to Old Town Alexandria, the airport, and other destinations within 5 miles of the hotel. Our staff tries very hard but it is difficult to say no to a request and sometimes traffic in other areas may hold up our drivers. You can be sure we will work on better communication as we try and accommodate all of our guests. With regard to our internet we do have a fee for use in the guest rooms and service at our business center is complimentary. We try and keep our pricing competitive and the nominal fee covers the cost for support. Thanks again for making us aware of your concerns and we hope your next visit will give us the opportunity to show you our commitment to your comfort. Best Regard, Steve W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Nice Hotel, free wifi in the lobby, good service at the restaurant, free shuttle to the airport.

Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments as we appreciate all feedback good and bad. We are glad you had a great stay and will continue to work hard and earn your business now and in the future. Best Regards, Steve W
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

This hotel was booked by the federal government for a conference that I attended. First, let me say that the location of the hotel is awesome. It is just a few blocks from all of the action in Old Town Alexandria and within a short walk to the train station. The room that I was assigned was a corner room on the 5th floor. It was immaculate as it had an entry area with a flat screen TV and couches and also a separate area that contained a huge king size bed. The entire week of my stay, I kept the AC on and can honestly say this was the soundest that I've ever slept in a hotel. The only complaint that I had was the fact that they charged for the internet usage in the lobby and it felt a bit like we were being nickel and dimed. Great shuttle service to and from the airport up the road.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, September 29, 2009
Thanks so much for your kind words I am glad you had a pleasant stay. Our lobby business center is complimentary for guests and there is a charge for people not staying in the hotel. I am sorry we did not communicate this well, but you can be sure we will in the future. Again, thanks for your comments!
Manager- Steve W
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed here while visiting DC since I remembered from a previous trip 10 years ago how lovely this town was--I just knew the next chance I had to visit DC that I had to stay somewhere in Olde Town Alexandria. The room was quite nice with two flat screen tvs, a fridge and microwave and free Starbucks coffee (with half and half--but they only gave two little cups a day. I left a note for the maid to give us two more, which she did). They only had two towels in the room despite the fact that we were 4 people, and only one bar of soap (there was none in the shower) so I had to call the front desk, and within a few minutes they were at the door with 2 more towels and a bar of soap. Unfortunately we only had two the next day, but I left a note, and the next day there were 4 again. My husband wasn't a big fan of the pocket door leading from the bedroom into the bathroom. He thought there should be some way to lock it. Sofa bed was not comfy for kids, king bed either, and pillows were too mushy. Air conditioner blew in my face during the night which frequently woke me up. If you bring your own bottles of water, don't throw empty ones in garbage or you'll be charged for drinking the ones in the room. I had to have the charge of $3.50 removed from my bill--don't understand why since there were two bottles when we got there and two bottles when we left. We stayed a few days in Maryland after leaving VA, and had the same issue in the next hotel. I wish they wouldn't put bottled water in the room. If someone wants it, they can call room service or better yet, walk to the vending machines.
Across the hall someone ordered room service, and the tray was still in the hall the next day which was odd.
Laundry room was free, but one machine, one dryer. I used dryer, but it doesn't work well--the knob is off so I went to get my clothes, and they weren't dry.
Shower had excellent water pressure. Bathroom nicely appointed with magnifying mirror, and hair dryer not connected to the wall which I liked, but my husband almost packed it (wonder what that would have cost...)
Pool was nice, clean, and not heavy on the chlorine smell which is always nice. Only 3 ft deep which my kids weren't thrilled with, and it got a bit crowded in the evening. Lifeguard on duty which is also nice. Hot tub needs jets repaired. Nice area to sit at the pool, beautiful deck outside with awesome seating, and a fabulous courtyard on the lower level--we had drinks out there on our last night.
Shuttle is terrific--always on time, our driver was very nice and friendly on the way back from Metro.
Go to Stardust Restaurant and Lounge on Montgomery Street--cross the street, go right, to the end of street, and then left. You'd never think it, from the outside, but the place is super cool, and the food is the best we had! We had the stimulus package for 2 --it was available Fridays and Sat's in August. For $40 Included 2 drinks EACH (I had two glasses of wine, my husband had two beers), an appetizer to share (we had chicken wings that were awesome!), two entrees we each had flank steak in rice wine with wasabi mashed potatoes and chinese broccoli--amazing!), and two desserts (he had banana and strawberry crepes, I had key lime pie--totally terrific!!) Service was impeccable-my kids shared a mac and cheese that was out of this world--we asked to sub spinach and artichokes for broccoli in the mac and it was no problem. Didn't charge to share either! Go to this place--you won't be disappointed. It's so different, but sooooo good!!!! Check it out--Here's a link: http://www.stardustrestaurant.com/
Overall, Alexandria is a great place to visit, be prepared to walk, eat, and have an awesome time! Sheraton was ok for deal I got--Pay for two nights, third was free--otherwise I may have stayed at the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, September 21, 2009
Thanks so much for your comments we always appreciate the feedback. I wanted you to know that our beds are the Sheraton Suite Sleeper beds and are quite famous throughout the industry and our sofa beds are also brand new. Some people have special preferences so while the majority of guests love what we have there are times when we do have to send up a bed board and we do have them available if you let us know. Unfortunately, some reservations are made for only 2 people so we do not always know that 4 people are in a room. We are always happy to stock extra items and we just simply need to be advised. I usually like to have our staff pick up room service trays immediately but some guests do not let us know when they are putting them out. I appreciate knowing of your concern and will make sure we do more spot checks to clear this away. With regard to our HVAC units we can always have the air diverted and I will keep this in mind as we rarely get feedback regarding this. I am glad you had many other positive things to mention during your stay and hopefully when you return we have improved so that you are completely satisfied with your visit. Best Regards, Steve W
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

The location was so desirable-enjoyable, walking distance in some cases, only minutes away by car from must see's in DC(* we easily drove after dark to see sites, as opposed to the metro. Foot traffic light, parking with ease, and some of the best photos EVER). So easy to get around- a courtesy shuttle was always available to pick us up or drop off at King Street options when the kids got cranky! Our suite was luxurious and comfortable.My bed was heavenly.Cribs with eco-kid friendly blankets made available to me upon arrival-so the pack-n-plays stayed in the car!! Plenty of room for 3 kids to run and nap and snack- away from my wonderful bed! The restaurant on site was not only superior to some larger-city establishments, but also, on par,with restaurants that were recommended to us in DC and Old Town. It was so comforting to be able to come back to the hotel- after long sightseeing stints and be able to STAY there, as opposed to leaving out of necessity for a great meal!! They also made themselves extremely kid-friendly Every. Time.I can't remember ever enjoying as many meals IN a destination hotel, including room service or enjoying a hotel site itself, as we did here. A beautiful pool and deck was such a surprising BONUS, and gave MUCH needed reprieve. Staff and management made themselves known and were extremely amicable and accommodating to me and my family at all hours of the day and night. I simply cannot list all the professional courtesies bestowed freely , nor how refreshing it is to witness and bask in, true customer service. The hotel and staff has set a very high standard for future ventures elsewhere.We look forward to our next trip very, very soon!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
east coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Let me start off by saying that we booked our room though Hotwire.com so this might make the difference between receiving a good or bad room. I understood that we would be staying in a suite, so the room was OK, although a bit on the small side, it had a double bed (was hoping for at least a queen, sleeping was really tight), tv, bathroom with pocket door, toilet, sink, and a stand up shower. There were french doors leading to a separate living area that had a couch, sink, desk, coffee maker with free Starbucks coffee, and a small "electric cooler" that was to supposed to function as our mini fridge.

When we arrived and went to place our drinks in the fridge, I noticed that it wasn't cold. After realizing that it was plugged it, I called the front desk to let them know that it wasn't working. They sent someone up to take a look at it and he advised me that this wasn't an actual refrigerator, but an electric cooler and he assured me that he had adjusted the thermostat and that it would start to get cold. I placed my hand on the small cooling element inside the box and it felt slightly cool so I thought it would eventually cool off.

We went off to the pool for a swim, and when we arrived back the cooler still didn't feel the slightest bit cold; we mentioned this to the front desk staff on our way out to grab a late dinner. She mentioned that she would be able to replace this cooler with an actual refrigerator at our request, but as we were only staying for one night, I told her that we would make do with what we had and just use ice to make out drinks cold. I believe that a four star hotel should make refrigerators standard in each room.

The location of the hotel was nice though; a Giant supermarket is one block up and we were able to grab a pizza for dinner at a restaurant one block in the other direction. The pizza place seemed to be the only place that you could grab dinner (other than the hotel) after about 10 pm.

The other two major problems that we encountered involved the bathroom. The water in the toilet would start running periodically for no apparent reason, VERY LOUDLY. Also, when I went to take my shower the next morning, after I stepped out, the ENTIRE bathroom floor flooded with water that had apparently leaked out from the shower. We called the front desk to send up towels to try to soak up some of the water, but it didn't even come close to getting it dry and my boyfriend hadn't even taken his shower yet. I believe the problem there was that the only thing separating the shower from the rest of the bathroom was a shower curtain and a small lip on the floor between the shower and the rest of the bathroom which proved utterly useless.

Needless to say, I will never book another room though Hotwire or stay at this hotel. The quality presented to us was nowhere near four star.

My boyfriend and I joked throughout the night that they must have give us the "Hotwire" room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 5, 2009
Thanks so much for your comments we always appreciate the feedback. I truly wish you had more time to spend in Old Town as we are only 1 block aways from several restaurants and only a 15 minute walk to the Old Town waterfront area which has a multitude of restaurants and shopping. We definetely do not treat hotwire guest or any other guests differently and I am sorry for the trouble you had in your room. The refrigerator coolers are designed as a "green" way of keeping things cool rather then running 250 units that mostly would go unused and we are working on a better way to convey this. We have not had complaints about water on the floor from taking a shower and the granite vanity tops and marble floors really do look nice. I will check on the shower curtains to make sure they are proper in size. Of course I am always disappointed when an experience is not up to our standards and hopefully we will be able to improve.
Sincerely, Steve W
Oklahoma CIity, OK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

We could never get the same answer twice. We were wanting to take a bus tour of DC. We were first told to go on-line and make the arrangements ourselves. The internet would not connect that evening. We were then told to show up in the a.m. and the tour bus would pick us up. That didn't happen. We had read that you could make arrangements to go to the Kings Street metro station from the hotel, but the shuttle director didn't know what we talking about and stated that they never went to the King Street Metro. He also offered no assistance in helping us make any arrangements to get there. Many other guests were frustrated besides us. Many of the employees had difficulty understanding English and therefore they were of little help to tourists like me!
The price of phone calls was ridiculous!
The beds were very nice and comfortable and our room was clean.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, September 21, 2009
Thanks so much for your comments. All of our staff should be trained to answer questions about local tours and also our shuttle information. I am sorry you received multiple answers as we do try to accommodate extra requests and this is why sometimes we can say yes to different shuttle trips but when the schedule does not permit we may not always be available. I am surprised you could not understand our staff as they are very fluent in English but some do have accents. I will remind them to speak more clearly. Again, thanks for your comments and hopefully we will be improved on your next visit. Warmly, Steve W

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!