“comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Erie, Colorado, Usa
“comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Hotel was comfortable. Pool is only 3 feet deep for the whole length, but that was good for the little ones. Had asked for connecting rooms but were not able to get them due to a group being there. Restaurant was closed for dinner due to this same group. Ate across the street and had a nice meal. Breakfast was good, especially for a free buffet. Unfortunately, the wait staff seemed upset...perhaps because they felt they wouldn't get a tip????? We left one and always do so even when the buffet is included in price of the room. After all, they put juice and coffee on the table and got milk for the little ones and had to bus the dirty dishes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments. Sorry that we weren't able to meet all of your dining needs but, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton on July 12th while visiting colleges in the Washington area. The Sheraton was only a few miles from the city and the airport. We were able to take the hotel shuttle to the airport and then hop on the metro to head into the city. This was a great feature if you don’t want to drive in and out the city. There is also a metro stop about seven blocks from the hotel. However, its not in the best neighborhood.

The hotel was very pleasant. The lobby is nice and the staff was great. They recommended a great steak place around the corner and were very attentive to our needs. The front desk clerk said we can park for free on the street as long as we move our car before 11 am. That wasn’t a problem for us. So we parked for free.

We stayed in a suite and it was nicely appointed. The living room was divided by French doors. However the white paper thin blinds didn’t give much privacy. The coffee maker with the tea/coffee was a great touch. Overall it was good hotel and offered a great value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments. We are certainly glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Sheraton and thoroughly enjoyed it. The suite was large, with the bedroom separated from the "living room" by beautiful french doors. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was awesome! Everything was clean and well maintained. The room had a small refrigerator, a microwave, and a coffee maker with both coffee and tea available. The hotel is not in the "heart of the city", so we did have to drive our car to the Metro station. (By car, it took only about 5 minutes, and I suppose one could walk if you weren't carrying a lot of things). There is a supermarket, a Trader Joe's, and several restaurants within walking distance though. We went to an excellent one called King Street Blues that was only .6 miles away. It was beautiful walking there through the residential area and viewing the old townhouses. We even passed a street that was made by Hessian soldiers out of cobble-stones. Despite a large family reunion at the hotel, it was quiet on the floor that we were on. The only annoying thing about the hotel was that the garage sensor did not work, so every time we wanted to get in or out of the parking garage, we had to "buzz" the front desk. It was also somewhat annoying that we had to pay for internet and for parking; why not just add it to the cost of the room? Speaking of which, we used a special rate for our trip: first night was $119 and the next was the last 2 digits of your birth-year (which meant our 2nd night was $58!). While there, my husband did use the gym, and said it was small but had everything he needed. While most of the staff was friendly, the check-in people were "just doing a job", albeit it was after midnight when we checked in. Still, they did not "greet us", and continued to "work on paperwork" until we said hi to them. To top it off, our bill was then incorrect when we went to check out (the guy who checked us in did not give us the special rate, despite booking us under it), but the morning desk people took care of it promptly and apologized for the inconvenience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments an your constructive advice. We hope that you will choose us again for your future stays in our area.
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed in Sheraton Suites, Old Town Alexandria, for four nights. The rooms were okay but smelled slightly like mildew. Only one elevator was working for the first three days and neither was working for a period of time during check-out on the last day. There were long waits for the elevator at times and/or the stairs had to be used. We were very surprised that there was a charge for in-room internet access. The good - the king bed was very comfortable. Some suggestions.....free in-room internet, better elevator service, and free breakfast for each guest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. Sorry for the unfortunate situation with the elevators. We have worked very closely with the vendor to repair this issue. We hope that you will choose us again in the future.
Westborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Very clean hotel. Staff was friendly. The hotel was not as close to King Street or the metro as we liked. Though the hotel provided a shuttle, when we inquiry it was always 1/2 hour wait and of course you could walk there faster then the time they decided to provide you with the service. They had a pool, it was a lap pool which is not what a family with kids would have wanted. This could have been made clearer on the web site. The room through AAA came with free breakfast buffet for two. Which is a great deal if you are only staying with two people in your room. The first day, we were told our kids were free also at the buffet and then the bill came for them $17.50 for two small kids who barely at anything. Needless, to say we never ate in the restaurant again or used our "free breakfast" vouchers again. After all if you are a family, why would you split up where you eat and who in their right mind would pay $17.50 for two children to eat breakfast.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We will certainly work to ensure that the communications regarding the services and pricing are made clearer regarding the AAA discounts. We hope that you will use us again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I am on night 2 of a 4 night stay & wish I stayed at the Westin or Hilton. We arrived at athoughtpproximately 5 pm yesterday evening & had to wait 10 mins for an elevator as only one was operational. Normally, I wouldn't mind the stairs if it didn't require trekking through what appear to be the back offices & the boiler rooms just to reach the 8 flights of stairs.
Last night also began our adventure to/from the metro. It took 4 attempts to reach guest relations to confirm transportation to/from the metro occurred every 30 mins between 6 am & 11 pm ( arrive in the lobby about 10 mins prior to departure). This morning, we arrive in the lobby, see any empty shuttle, & are told "he will make an announcement when he is ready to leave in a few minutes". At 10 after, we inquire about the shuttle running late, to be told it has already departed. I then ask if we have to wait another 30 mins but, the hotel asks the other driver to drop us off at the metro station.
Once we arrive at the metro station, we confirm again that the shuttle runs every 30 mins (yes, I am paranoid).
We arrive at the same metro station as drop off at 10 pm. Once 10:07 comes, we call the hotel inquiring about the shuttle. The night manager answers after we are cycled through the ptompts at least 4 times. My husband angrily explains the situation & is told there is not any transportation to/from this metro stop & we would need to return to the airport to obtain the shuttle.
We then call starwood, explain the situation. The representative offers to contact the hotel directly & inquire about them sending a taxi since it is now almost 10:30 and we are in an unfamiliar area with our 9 year old child. The starwood representative returns to the line letting us know she was unable to contact the hotel & we could take a cab, ask the day manager to reimburse us, & then place a request directly with starwood if the day manager denied our request.
I am certainly not looking forward to the next 2 nights in this hotel. This will be my first and only time in a sheraton. If it weren't for the fact that I have had great experiences in Westin hotels, this world probably my only experience at a starwood resort.
Also, the in room refrigerator is a ice box, not a refrigerator. There is a disclaimer staying it will not make food child. Not all of the outlet covers are secure.
On a positive note, the bed is comfortable & the room is clean.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We certainly apologize for the miscommunications regarding the shuttle services. We are also working with the elevator company and have resolved the issues that our guests experienced as a result of their equipment. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

So the downtown D.C. hotels are so overpriced, I thought I would stay in Alexandria. I had a rental car, so the drive was not a problem. Alexandria is a pretty and quaint area, but of course there is nothing to do at night, and everything closes early.
PARKING: Very easy, but $28 per night was too high, so the front desk offered to lower it to $22 just for asking.
CLUB FLOOR: Internet should be free, that is a given. Do hotels charge for shampoo??? Unfortunately, this hotel IS one of those that charges nickels and dimes. I took into account the $11 per night charge (their website indicates this is a "nominal fee." I'm sorry, when did eleven bucks become nominal? Nominal for me is like $2, or $3. (Ever heard of Trader Joe's $2 buck chuck? THAT"S nominal). So taking into account the expense of internet, and breakfast, I decided to go to pay more for the Club floor. $136 was my rate. I got to the hotel around 6:30pm, and the front desk said, oh there are snacks in the club until 7pm. GREAT, I thought. Clubs definitely vary around the world and from property to property. Usually they have a great view, offer nice snacks (sometimes a whole smorgasbord of appetizers, etc), wines, beers, even some have fully stocked bars! This was NOT the case in Alexandria.
When I walked into the Club, there was an employee (!!!) walking out with 3 bottles of water in her arms. All that was left were 2 bags of chips, some Costco/wholesale style warehouse frozen cocktail corn dogs sitting in a pan, and some apples Now, I'm vegetarian, so I didn't go for the hot dogs, FINE, SO I just took the 2 last bags of chips. Oh, and only 2 bottles of water left in the fridge! NO wine, NO beer, NO alcohol, nothing. NOTHING. I was annoyed and perturbed. I thought oh no, what is breakfast going to be like? Luckily breakfast was very nice. Nothing hot, which is fine for me. Bagels, toast, granola, yogurts, fresh cut fruit, bananas, apples, cereals, and a GREAT espresso machine. So for breakfast and the internet to be included was worth the $20 "upgrade."
BROKEN ELEVATOR: One elevator was broken - don't you think you should put a sign when there is only ONE operating elevator? I mentioned it 2x to the front desk, and nothing was done about it.
BATH ROBE: The room was supposed to include a bathrobe, but there was none, so I did call to the front desk and asked for one. It was delivered. I also asked for some bath gel/bubble bath or bath salts, but they had none.
CONFERENCE TABLE: My room was a king conference room suite. So instead of having a sitting room with a sleeper sofa, I had a full conference table, which was great. The only thing was there were no outlets at the table, only along the wall, which made it difficult to plug in and use some electronics (like a cell phone).
ROOM SERVICE: The hotel-book in the room said room service operated until 11pm. But then I found a small sheet that seemed to indicate room service stopped at 10. I got home at 10:15 my second night, so I called down to see if they could just bring up some hummus. I thought, well even if they are closing, it's just hummus? It rang, and rang. No one picked up, so I figured - OH WAIT - voice mail picked up and said they were on the other line with another customer so one could leave a message and they would call back. They did NOT say they were closed, and it did not transfer to the front desk, which it should have. I left my order for hummus on voice mail and never heard from them, not even when I checked out to APOLOGIZE.

OK, so that being said, it's a FINE hotel, but nothing special.
Don't pay for internet and breakfast, upgrade to the club floor, that makes much more financial sense. Don't expect much from their evening club service, but the breakfast is quite nice, with nice people working there. But it's not an upscale Sheraton or world-class level location.

Room Tip: Higher floors are the club floors. Big construction going on the backside of the building, but the w...