“Clean, comfortable and Charming” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Clean, comfortable and Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was a nice find in Old Town. Walking distance to many great pubs and restaurants.
Arrival and parking were easy, even with a crowd at the front desk. Checkout was also a breeze.
The room was large, clean and comfortable, and very quiet. The wireless internet was a bit iffy, but the workstations in the lobby worked great. There was a restaurant on-site and the room service was great: good food and very speedy. The only negative for the whole stay was the fire alarm that went off about 11 PM. I will say that the management seemed really disengaged and did not appear to be herding people out of the building. Some people said that they did not even hear the alarm on the 8th floor. Good thing there really was no fire!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 8th floor!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments about your recent visit and I am glad you had a nice stay. The location, service, and suites make the Sheraton in Old Town a great place to stay. I am sorry that we did not give you a proper explanation and reason why we did not evacuate the building. The system per the local codes only sounds on the floor above and below where the trouble occurs when it is just smoke and a fire is not present. This way we do not have to inconvenience the entire building. Unfortunately, the fire department must reset the system and while we do recommend every to leave the building we do not require it once we know it is not a safety threat. I will certainly make sure our staff is more forthcoming so that others are not affected in the future. Again, thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Richmond Hill, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I’ve stayed at Sheraton Suites Old Town several times, and I do it because it’s close to Reagan National Airport and I can leave my car in the hotel’s underground garage while I travel. The hotel’s a bit pricey, but leaving my car there for two weeks at no additional charge covers the cost of the room.

The hotel is all mini-suites with sitting rooms and kitchen facilities in addition to the standard bedroom and bathroom. Everything is comfortable and clean. But lately they’ve taken to charging extra for everything. Breakfast is no longer included. There’s a charge for wi-fi…even in the lobby. All the nice extras are now reserved for those who have paid extra to be Sheraton Club member. The much-touted “Link @ Sheraton” computers in the lobby are free, but the system is clunky and special arrangements have to be made to print anything – including your boarding pass. They even skimp on the toiletries and coffee supplies in the room.

Food in the restaurant is okay, but service is so bad that it’s best not to risk breakfast unless you have a free day.

All in all, the comfortable, relaxed but upscale atmosphere I’ve enjoyed in the past is gone. Staying farther away and parking at the airport is beginning to look like a much better option.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments and I want to apologize for not living up to our Sheraton Standards. Breakfast and Internet have never been complimentary for our guests but we do have packages that are inclusive. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding about your booking and I will make sure our rate offerings are clear. It is true the hotel did have problems with our internet which was due to our new $100,000 internet upgrade which required several glitches to be fixed. You can be sure this is done and the system is exponentially faster. A good day starts with a good breakfast and our staff should be ready and able to greet you with a smile and the service you expect. You can bet we will address this so that others are not disappointed. Again, thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is really about the restaurant. Nice hotel. Nice accommodations. But the restaurant was plain god awful. Honestly It was practically indelible. It looked a little empty. I now know why. Really very surprising for a sheraton.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your feedback as we always appreciate feedback both good and bad. Of course I would hope you could be more specific as it will help us make corrections so that others are not disappointed and perhaps you will reach out to me directly so that I can address your concerns. Our staff is always happy to compensate any guest that is not happy with our service and specifically with our food quality and I must admit I have tried most everything on the menu so perhaps something else went wrong. Regardless, we want all of our guests to have the best experience possible and I am sorry we let you down. Please do give us another try so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Kind Regards,

Glen Allen, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Over the last three years I have been staying at the Sheraton Old as my company's office was located a few blocks away. I live in Richmond VA and would sometimes have to travel on very, very short notice. The folks at the Sheraton Old Town always accomodated me in whatever fashion I needed on very short notice - as I stayed more, the Sheraton felt more like a home than just a hotel...I got to knnow the staff. The staff was always incredibly courteous, accomodating and professional. Working long hours it was always nice to grab a quick late dinner at the fin and hoof. I highly recommend this property - they've also accomodated the families of my daughters travel soccer team. Great people! Great Place!

Room Tip: The views of the Potomac from the top floors are awesome!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words Brett. We love having you here and you are part of our Sheraton family. Long term guests that spend so much time on the road deserve the extra touches of a nice hotel where the staff and services make them feel at home. We look forward to seeing you here again soon!!

Kindest Regards,

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The shuttles will take you to Old Town free of charge. You won't have to pay for a cab! When you are ready to be picked up after shopping, dining, or exploring, just call the hotel and a van will be sent to get you you.
The torpedo factory has a variety art for everyone. If you have time to take a cruise down the Potomac, I would recommend the paddle boat. Be sure to ask someone in a green shirt to explain all of the sights. Very interesting!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thanks for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed Old Town, the Sheraton Suites and our shuttle service. We do our very best to keep up with the shuttle request and hope to have you visit us again very soon!

Happy Summer!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed two nights over the Memorial Day weekend at the Sheraton Suites Old Town, and it was an alright stay, with many hiccups along the way. It had an OK location to DC, as there was a shuttle which took you to either Braddock Road Metro or Reagan Metro every half hour, on-time to help you go into DC, which helped a lot.

When we checked in, the front desk person was very courteous, made a smooth check in, and answered our questions and we parked our car in the $20/Night parking lot. The atmosphere was very welcoming for the most part at check in. The very first problem of many was that he forgot to give us the "breakfast tickets" since only some room packages has breakfast, and on our confirmation sheet from hotels.com, it clearly said "free continental breakfast". Next, there was only one working elevator on check-in day, which has been mentioned a lot. We had to wait five minutes until the elevator arrived, and only half the people online to use the elevator got on the next round. Luckily, a staff member took us up to staff elevator.

When we arrived in our "Club King Suite", it was a slight surprise, towards the negative. The view that we requested of the river was great, you could see the highway, and downtown DC a little, which was also nice. Refrigerator, microwave, cabinet, doors separating the two rooms and a nice, clean room overall was the rest of the pros. To the negatives, our room was quite small, as the pictures seemed a little larger for the room (as many said here before). There were two types of bottled waters, a Nestle water bottle (two of them, free), as a "Voss" bottle, which had a payment of $4. When I looked at that bottle, I saw it had a broken seal, and slightly used when we entered the room. I went to the front desk, and they called up one of their housekeepers, who had very broken English. She didn't speak much at all, took that bottle, and never returned the bottle. The outcome of this, they charged us those $4 when we didn't use the product and gave it to a housekeeper lady. We are now in the process of retaking our $4.

Next, a slightly more normal 3-Star quality aspect, dinner. We took out to our room some dinner at the "Fin & Hoof Restaurant", and the food was for the most part alright, slightly overpriced for some items, but manageable. TV was all great (one of the few hotels we traveled to with HD channels, and they had all the regular channels of cable).

Before we went to bed, we went to the indoor pool. Bad call, as soon as we took a dip into the very shallow 3 foot throughout pool, we were shivering very much within 30 seconds, and quickly jumped into the hot tub, which we had to be in for a long time to warm ourselves up. How can you swim in three-foot deep water and when its very frigid?

Sleeping conditions were very nice, clean beds, cozy, and we fell asleep normally, and slept well both nights. When we woke up, we then went back to the restaurant for breakfast, and had to waste 10 minutes to get those tickets, and they were for "Continental Breakfast" only, all the cold items. We then upgraded for $5 each ticket to hot breakfast. Pretty good selection, which slightly rotated each day. Very nice waiters there as well, as I would like to commend that aspect. Both elevators worked that day, which was a relief.

When we returned that night, we didn't even bother going to the pool, and we ate leftovers from the large portion meals from the other day from the restaurant, and other stuff. The next morning, the same routine, which was breakfast, etc. Only one elevator was working, again. It was a smooth check-out like check-in, as they gave us a paper with all charges, the restaurant, parking, etc. We dropped the room key when we took out our car from the garage, so the gate would open, and we drove away from the hotel with an OK feeling about it. Then the mysterious fee of that one opened water bottle came up, which was a surprise, and we were not pleased about the staff there. Overall, a good hotel, minus all the fake fees, and minor glitches here and there.

Room Tip: Ask to see all the fees they charge you, because some may be wrong and ask for a room facing the riv...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments as we always appreciate feedback both good and bad. You can be sure a quick call to correct the communication about the water will quickly result in a credit. I ams sorry the pool was too cold and that we did not provide the breakfast coupons on arrival. Many guests do assume breakfast is included and often times our staff will provide it complimentary as a courtesy when we can. It is easy to see why so many guests expect this with all the other hotels that do not have restaurants but free service in the lobby. I am glad you enjoyed the food at our restaurant for dinner. We are very proud of the quality and surprisingly the prices are usually less than what you find nearby and we always have great specials for drinks and entrees. Our pool is designed as a lap pool and it is hard to find just the right setting to make sure everyone is happy. We will certainly keep an eye on this thanks to your feedback. Again, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and we do hope you will visit again.

Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed here the last weekend of April for a wedding. First the front desk staff is incredible Jacqueline Heatley provided exceptional service as well as the entire front desk staff. Room was comfy, free bottled water (not the Voss) and great views of DC contingent upon your floor and room.

Parking is free but not quickly accessible but keep in mind if you were to stay in DC you would be paying an arm and a leg for parking so no complaints here and also on the weekends there is parking on the street with just a quick walk to the hotel. Not far from all the shopping areas and tourist attractions in Alexandria but not exactly walking distance either.

Rooms aren't the most voluminous (especially if you are using the sofabed) so if you are in a party of more than 3 or 4 I suggest two rooms that includes if you have teenagers. There's not a fridge but more of a cooler in each room so if you need an icebox for lets say medication, just call the front desk and request it. My only suggestion FREE WI-FI FREE WI-FI FREE WI-FI FREE WI-FI!!

Will definitely recommend this hotel. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Top floor facing the bridge
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Wow, thanks so much for your comments I will certainly commend Jacqueline for her excellent service. I am glad you had a nice visit as the Sheraton Suites Old Town is a great place to meet for special occassions especially weddings being so close to DC and a few blocks from the Potomac River and King Street. You were very fortunate to be staying with us on a parking package and often times we have many packages that can save money for internet and breakfast as well. I am glad you had a nice experience and hope you do come and visit us again!

Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!