“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I actually loved this hotel. The location was great and it overall was very nice. There is only one major complaint that I have and that was the continental breakfast. I have had better continental breakfasts at cheaper hotels for free. I've had continental breakfasts where there were waffle makers, eggs, and sausage. This breakfast they had some muffins, bagels, toast, cereal, danishes, yogurt, oatmeal and fruit. It wasn't the worst, but definitely not as good as I was expecting because I paid for it. At the time of our trip they only had one elevator in service. The wait was long and several times, people couldn't even fit on the elevator and had to wait for it to come back to them. I know that the elevator situation isn't permanent, however it was pertinent to our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. You will be happy to know that the work that was scheduled on our elevators is now complete and they are not only upgraded to perform better and faster but new equipment has been installed. Unfortunately, there is never a good time to complete this important work. Our Continental Breakfast has a wide variety of items that exceed the definition of Contiental Breakfast which has been blured further by the limited service properties that include hot food. We do have other packages that include the hot food and we hope you take advantage of it on your next visit. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will return very soon.

373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Professional staff are very helpful. When they mistakenly put someone else's luggage into my room, the manager personally resolved the issue and even provided a nice bottle of wine for my troubles. You can't beat the location. It is within walking distance or a quick shuttle ride to Braddock Metro Station. It's also within walking distance to many of the attractions of Old Town Alexandria.

Each room is a suite with a small refrigerator, microwave, and sink. Nice flat screen TV's in both living room and bedroom. Everything was clean and neat. Best of all, I think their beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept on! Their weight room is better than most hotels. They had free weights, which makes all the difference between a good workout and none at all. They also have a very nice swimming pool and hot tub to relax in after a long day.

On the negative side, you have to pay $11 a day for wifi in your room. This is outrageous. These days, even really cheap hotels provide free wifi in your hotel room. Much like thirty years ago, when hotel would advertise "air conditioning" and "free cable" as if they were such luxuries, I think in our current age when everyone has a smart gadget, free wifi should be a given, especially when we are paying such prices for a night's stay (between $150 and $250). I think Sheraton should rethink their wifi policies. For this reason alone, I would not consider staying again at this Sheraton, or any other Sheraton that shares this policy, despite all the nice things that this hotel had to offer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind review, I am glad the staff came to the rescue with regard to your luggage and that you found the room and amenities to your liking. I am sorry that the fee for Wifi is a problem for you. The hotel does provide packages that include the service and the nominal fee is very competitive in the area and common due to the higher costs required to provide speedy service. In fact the hotel expects to exponentially enhance the speed early next month. Again, thanks so much for your feedback and by all means please reach out to me if your plans change so that I can find a way to make sure you receive the value you expect.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The staff is always smiling, friendly and welcoming. The rooms meet my expectations of being clean, available and spacious. It's like a small apartment. After my last stay I received a survey allowing me to address any concerns none of which I had. When I returned to the hotel a few days later for another stay the front desk clerk immediately acknowledged that I was returning for another night stay, now that is customer service! I look forward to many more stays and great experiences at this property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Nothing makes us happier than to see our repeat customers and to greet them with a "Welcome Back!" Thanks so much for your comments and for your long term loyalty. We truly hope to see you often!

Pembroke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton Suites after a late night flight cancellation. The room was well appointed and the "free" bottle of water was very much appreciated. The Sweet Sleeper bed that is a Sheraton standard did not disappoint, even though my stay was limited to just a few hours. The complimentary shuttle service to Reagan National - leaving every 1/2 hour from the front door - is a nice feature.

Two items that disappointed me were:
1. The lack of recognition of my Platinum SPG status when I checked in (it had been noted when I made the 1-800 phone reservation form the airport) and the resulting assignment of a standard rather than an upgraded room. I also had to get a new key in the morning to access the Club Lounge
2. The quality of the internet service both in the room and at the "Link" station in the front lobby. S...l...o....w doesn't begin to describe it.

Room Tip: If you are an SPG member, make sure the front desk knows it. The telephone reservation I made that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your positive comments and feedback. We want all of our guests to have the best stay possible and I am glad we were there for you due to your flight problem. Many distress passengers that arrive with airline vouchers are hard to recognize Platinum Status and sometimes a small correction is made easily at time of check in. You will be happy to know that we are only a few weeks away from a major speed upgrade to our internet system as we are only awaiting the arrival of the T1 lines coming from our vendor. Again, thanks for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and we look forward to having you back but hopefully when you can plan to stay for a few nights.

Merion, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Clean, comfortable, room and a helpful/ friendly staff. We had a great time at the pool and the kids loved having two rooms to enjoy. I would definitely stay here again. We also enjoyed the breakfast ordered in the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Nothing makes us more proud than to hear of a great visit and one that you will hopefully remember for years to come. Thanks so much for sharing and please do come visit again!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Have had a stay of around 4 nights. Still 1 more to go and am dreading the fact I have to be here 1 more day.

Upon arrival - 1 towel, only decaf in room, called to request more towels... considering it is a suite for multiple people not sure why the room was stocked with 1 towel. And the fact there was no tea or black coffee... just decaf.

Several times called in a request for packets of tea as there is no tea packets. I was told to go down to the lobby restaurant to get what was supposed to be stocked in my room. I just did not feel like going back down 8 stories and getting ready... I jusy woke up and wanted tea and seeing as we never got what the room was supposed to be stocked with no tea... oh well.

Issue 2 - we finally got room restocked with some towels... but when they were here to clean 1 day never got changed bed linens like we requested. We came back to the same unmade bed every day.

Had a spill of water in bed from a broken water bottle... I called in for a dry blanket and to replace sheets. I was brought a trash bag to put the linens in and handed the sheets and blankets and had to make the bed myself.

Issue 3: lady shows up to clean the room. I asked her for clean bed linens and she went to finally give us our room coffee packets while cursing to herself and saying oh my god in spanish.

Considering I know spanish this wasnt the most pleasant thing to hear... sorry to have ruined her day asking for linens and coffee packets I should have had days ago.

Some staff was courteous at the front desk.

But overall... its hard to even remember anything great about the front desk qith everything else.

Sorry to have inconvenienced the hotel staff by asking for the amenities the room was supposed to come with.

• Stayed April 2013
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thanks so much for sharing on Trip Advisor your experience. A good stay starts with a clean well stocked room and attentive well trained staff. I am sorry we let you down.

As you recall we did try to work with you during your visit but when we have limited access to the room and someone is sick we cannot clean the room to our standards. We should have communicated more effectively and made sure your needs were met promptly. Of course that does not excuse the housekeeper from making an inappropriate comment and you can be sure we will not let this kind of thing ever repeat.

Again, I am sorry you had such a bad experience and we would certainly like to make it up to you in some way. Should you decide to visit again I would welcome the opportunity to work with you directly so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Most Sincerely,

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We live somewhat locally and was looking for a nice place to enjoy an Easter brunch with family and friends. We found it at this hotel. The food w as delicious, especially the Mediterranian salmon, Nova lox and shrimp. I don't eat much meat, but I tasted the rosemary infused roast beef and it was moist and delicious. The rum cake and chocolate fudge cake was sinfully delicious.The wait staff service was friendly, warm, and right there if we needed anything. I would definitely recommend the restaurant if you have a large party, as we did as we were not cramped and the room was fresh and open. Too bad the weather was bad and we couldn't walk off our meal a few blocks away in Old Town. Will definitely make this an easy tradition for next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thanks so much for spending your Easter at the Sheraton Suites. I am glad you had a nice visit and enjoyed the food and service. We will certainly be looking for you next year and hope to see you for other occasions as well.

Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!