“Comfortable refuge after challenging day” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Pembroke, Canada
“Comfortable refuge after challenging day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton Suites after a late night flight cancellation. The room was well appointed and the "free" bottle of water was very much appreciated. The Sweet Sleeper bed that is a Sheraton standard did not disappoint, even though my stay was limited to just a few hours. The complimentary shuttle service to Reagan National - leaving every 1/2 hour from the front door - is a nice feature.

Two items that disappointed me were:
1. The lack of recognition of my Platinum SPG status when I checked in (it had been noted when I made the 1-800 phone reservation form the airport) and the resulting assignment of a standard rather than an upgraded room. I also had to get a new key in the morning to access the Club Lounge
2. The quality of the internet service both in the room and at the "Link" station in the front lobby. S...l...o....w doesn't begin to describe it.

Room Tip: If you are an SPG member, make sure the front desk knows it. The telephone reservation I made that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thanks so much for your positive comments and feedback. We want all of our guests to have the best stay possible and I am glad we were there for you due to your flight problem. Many distress passengers that arrive with airline vouchers are hard to recognize Platinum Status and sometimes a small correction is made easily at time of check in. You will be happy to know that we are only a few weeks away from a major speed upgrade to our internet system as we are only awaiting the arrival of the T1 lines coming from our vendor. Again, thanks for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and we look forward to having you back but hopefully when you can plan to stay for a few nights.

Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Merion, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Clean, comfortable, room and a helpful/ friendly staff. We had a great time at the pool and the kids loved having two rooms to enjoy. I would definitely stay here again. We also enjoyed the breakfast ordered in the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Nothing makes us more proud than to hear of a great visit and one that you will hopefully remember for years to come. Thanks so much for sharing and please do come visit again!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Have had a stay of around 4 nights. Still 1 more to go and am dreading the fact I have to be here 1 more day.

Upon arrival - 1 towel, only decaf in room, called to request more towels... considering it is a suite for multiple people not sure why the room was stocked with 1 towel. And the fact there was no tea or black coffee... just decaf.

Several times called in a request for packets of tea as there is no tea packets. I was told to go down to the lobby restaurant to get what was supposed to be stocked in my room. I just did not feel like going back down 8 stories and getting ready... I jusy woke up and wanted tea and seeing as we never got what the room was supposed to be stocked with no tea... oh well.

Issue 2 - we finally got room restocked with some towels... but when they were here to clean 1 day never got changed bed linens like we requested. We came back to the same unmade bed every day.

Had a spill of water in bed from a broken water bottle... I called in for a dry blanket and to replace sheets. I was brought a trash bag to put the linens in and handed the sheets and blankets and had to make the bed myself.

Issue 3: lady shows up to clean the room. I asked her for clean bed linens and she went to finally give us our room coffee packets while cursing to herself and saying oh my god in spanish.

Considering I know spanish this wasnt the most pleasant thing to hear... sorry to have ruined her day asking for linens and coffee packets I should have had days ago.

Some staff was courteous at the front desk.

But overall... its hard to even remember anything great about the front desk qith everything else.

Sorry to have inconvenienced the hotel staff by asking for the amenities the room was supposed to come with.

• Stayed April 2013
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thanks so much for sharing on Trip Advisor your experience. A good stay starts with a clean well stocked room and attentive well trained staff. I am sorry we let you down.

As you recall we did try to work with you during your visit but when we have limited access to the room and someone is sick we cannot clean the room to our standards. We should have communicated more effectively and made sure your needs were met promptly. Of course that does not excuse the housekeeper from making an inappropriate comment and you can be sure we will not let this kind of thing ever repeat.

Again, I am sorry you had such a bad experience and we would certainly like to make it up to you in some way. Should you decide to visit again I would welcome the opportunity to work with you directly so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Most Sincerely,

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We live somewhat locally and was looking for a nice place to enjoy an Easter brunch with family and friends. We found it at this hotel. The food w as delicious, especially the Mediterranian salmon, Nova lox and shrimp. I don't eat much meat, but I tasted the rosemary infused roast beef and it was moist and delicious. The rum cake and chocolate fudge cake was sinfully delicious.The wait staff service was friendly, warm, and right there if we needed anything. I would definitely recommend the restaurant if you have a large party, as we did as we were not cramped and the room was fresh and open. Too bad the weather was bad and we couldn't walk off our meal a few blocks away in Old Town. Will definitely make this an easy tradition for next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thanks so much for spending your Easter at the Sheraton Suites. I am glad you had a nice visit and enjoyed the food and service. We will certainly be looking for you next year and hope to see you for other occasions as well.

Fairfax, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had a wonderful time at the Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria Easter brunch. Service was perfect and food selection was great. I would highly recommend their restaurant to any travelers or for a family outing.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for sharing your experience at our Easter Brunch. This is a very special time and we are always very happy to make this event fun for everyone in the neighborhood. See you next year!

Warm Regards,

Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here over Easter weekend and could not have been more pleased with the hotel. The front desk staff was pleasant and responsive. The location is terrific - walking distance to all of Olde Town, with easy access (via shuttle) to DCA. I enjoyed the suite - though small, it did provide two distinct spaces, which was nice for a weekend stay. There was a coffee maker and a microwave. Each room has a balcony, which was nice (though I did not use either and there was no furniture on the balcony, anyway). The rooms were clean. I did find that I did not get the uber-hot hot water from the shower -- though it was fine enough (i.e., it wasnt cold, just not uber-hot).

Agree with the reviewer re: the wireless. The package seems to be applied only to 1 device. I did not use, but the wireless access is something they could probably improve upon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. I am thrilled you had a nice experience and that you shared them with Trip Advisor. The suites are always an added plus and you can be sure the value of staying here verses another hotel that has a standard room cannot be beat. We have listened with regard to the internet and you will be glad to know that we just completed a rewiring of the building and are only awaiting our bandwidth to be upgraded by our carrier. Once that is done we will be updating all or our internet packages and it will improve the speed exponentially. We look forward to having you back and thanks again for sharing your experience.

Warmly,

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We reserved two suites, each with double beds, that were to be adjoining. I know there is no guarantee but Sheraton seems to have a particular problem honoring this sort of request. There was no exception here, the only note in my reservations was "rooms nearby each other." Fortunately, the woman who checked us in was quite determined to come as close as possible to honoring my request and to apologize. Given time she was able to find adjoining rooms, one with a king bead and the other with two queens; we made it work. She also comped our breakfast and parking. We really appreciated this level of customer service!

This hotel is about 9 blocks away from King Street with shops and restaurants and a metro train station. Both are doable walks and are also serviced by a hotel shuttle. Our only gripe is the communication regarding this shuttle. The shuttle goes to Reagan National Airport and the train station at the airport, departing every thirty minutes. If the shuttle is out you might not get picked up in town. Most important is that the information regarding the shuttle differs from staff person to staff person. No matter what you are told, you will not get picked up at the Braddock Metro station. We found out the hard way. A cab cost us over $8.00.

Room service was quick and the food was hot and tasty. The breakfast buffet offered variety and was fresh and the service staff was terrific. The suites were comfortable and offered a refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker with Starbucks coffee and creamers. The hotel might consider free internet in rooms for club guests but the fee of $10.99 was comparable with other hotels. Despite a few frustrations regarding the shuttle we were comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Our staff truly does care about making sure our guests have the best stay possible. Even though we cannot always promise specific rooms or shuttle pick up please know that we do our best to accommodate every single guest. In fact that is often the problem with our shuttle. In our efforts to accommodate more people we often over promise even though we tell guests that shuttle service is based on availability. I am glad you had a good experience overall and hope that you will visit us again. Thanks again for your feedback!

Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!